Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:58pm
Quote: You can keep quiet & let everyone think you're a fool or you can speak and confirm their thoughts.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting Single Electric Oven (Read 2661 times)
Mikee

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 1
For This Post: 0

Fitting Single Electric Oven
Apr 8th, 2014, 2:08pm

Hello all,
          I'm replacing my old built-in, single electric oven with a new one, my old oven has a flex and plug going to a 13amp socket behind the oven, which comes down from a 45amp cooker switch with another socket incorporated, which is above the worktop. The cooker switch has it's own designated circuit from the C/U with 6mm T&E cable and from the switch to the 13amp socket it is 2.5mm T&E cable. The 6mm cable run is approx 10 metres long and the 2.5 cable, 1 metre long. All this is protected by a 32amp M.C.B. in the C/U..
           The new oven has a rating of 2.48Kw and needs hard wiring (according to the manufacturers manual), so I was going to fit a 13amp f.c.u with a flex outlet, in place of the old 13amp socket and run a 2.5mm, heat resistant flex from this to the oven.
            I would like to know if this is suitable wiring for the oven and also, should the M.C.B. be 16amp or is the existing 32amp correct because of the incorporated socket in the cooker switch.  
      Thanks,   Mikee. Roll Eyes  

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 1

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Fitting Single Electric Oven
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2014, 2:49pm

Sounds fine to me.

Ideally the FCU should be accessible, but it's not really an issue being behind it.

If you changed the MCB to a 16 or 20amp, you could run into issues with tripping if you loaded the above counter socket to 13amp.

2.48kW is 10.8 amps, with 13amp from the above counter socket, you could potentially draw 23.8amps.  Stick with the 32amp MCB, and you wont have issues.  The 2.5mm T+E and flex is protected against overload by the FCU fuse, and short circuit fault by the 32amp MCB.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Mikee

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 1
For This Post: 0

Re: Fitting Single Electric Oven
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2014, 4:18pm

Thanks very much for your reply Lectrician, much appreciated.

Mikee. Smiley

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print