Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 13th, 2024, 10:06pm
Quote: They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening' - Then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baxi 105e Combi problem - 3 different opinions! (Read 4816 times)
rob4
GDPR opt-out

Baxi 105e Combi problem - 3 different opinions!
Jun 11th, 2014, 11:44am

We've got a baxi 105e combi which works fine (no problems with central heating and hot water heats very hot) EXCEPT, maybe a couple of times a week, it doesnt fire up when a hot tap /shower is turned on.
The worst offender is the shower and hot tap at the top of the house. Then the shower on the first floor. And then occasionally the kitchen tap.
If the showers dont work, we can usually get it firing by opening a hot water tap on the same floor. And on the occasions that that hasn't worked, or it won't fire for even the kitchen tap, then turning on the heating seems to get things started. We've had 3 plumbers look at aNd offer the following opinions...

1. heat exchanger is faulty. Then the plumber stopped returning calls so we didn't get any further!

2. second plumber said he thought the pressure in the mains wasn't enough to fire the boiler up at times of high use in the rest of the street. He said we should get a new boiler. Or fit a pump.

3. third plumber said def not the flow valve (other posts on here made me suggest the diaphram) because the pins are coming out smoothly and also that and the heat exchanger have been replaced recently (before we moved in). He didn't check if they were blocked though. He then broke one of the micro switches, and said the other one was already broken so replaced both of them. For a while, it seemed like the problem was sorted but a week later it started happening again. He then said the mains doesn't have enough pressure for this type of boiler and we should replace it. He measured the pressure at 10 lts per min (although this is flow rate i think?). He said the boiler needs more than that to work properly. i read the manual as saying is can work at 2.5lt/min so i'm confused by this. I don't know what the mains 'pressure' actually is, i could buy a gauge to measure it. Could this actually be the problem and would a pump / accumulator help?

So we're back to square one and no wiser. And reluctant to replace the boiler at massive cost when surely there's someone out there who can diagnose the problem?!

Apologies for such a long post. Any pointers would be much appreciated! We're in surrey if anyone knows a plumber who might tackle this?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Baxi 105e Combi problem - 3 different opinions!
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2014, 4:57pm

Diverter valve without seeing it.

Whats the nearesr town in Surrey, and I'll look see who we know.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rob4
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2014, 9:27pm

We're near addlestone / byfleet. Thanks, that would be great.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2014, 10:10pm

According to the pros on the gas forum, the most likely is the Diaphragm.

Leave it with us another day and we may have an RGI to go with it.

IP Logged

rob4
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2014, 9:02pm

Thanks, much appreciated!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2014, 9:09am

Sorry dont think we have any rgis in your area.  Shocked

IP Logged

rob4
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2014, 3:39pm

Ok, thanks for checking. It's seems crazy that we can't find an rgi who is prepared to actually diagnose the problem. Looking at further forum posts, it seems fairly straightforward to replace the diaphragm so I guess I'll give it ago for starters.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2014, 9:33pm

If you go that road, make sure you protect all the electric part like the pcb from water ingress.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print