Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:29pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is this possible? (Read 2217 times)
Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

is this possible?
Jun 30th, 2014, 6:03pm

In our bathroom, we've got half a dozen recessed halogen lights in the ceiling, all operated from a single pull switch.  Would it be possible to also have a pir sensor in the ceiling that just switches on one of them?

I realise it's a weird one, and I think the answer is probably "no"

I had a pir fitted to the landing lights a few years ago to stop the kids automatically turning the light on (but never off) every time they walked past.  

This time it's for the cat's benefit!  Trying to get her to use a litter tray in the bathroom, as its a bit nicer than having it anywhere else in the house.  She uses it fine during the day, but at night she won't go in the bathroom unless the light is on (particularly weird as our bathroom hasn't got a window, so it's still dark in there during the day). Wanting to only switch one light in the bathroom to cut down on the power use.

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: is this possible?
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2014, 6:35am

Yes.

Two ways.

Easy way - Seperate the lights, and have the PIR just control one.  Then, the remainder would be on a pull switch or wall switch......here's the "clever" bit.  Use a DP switch (pull or wall).  Use one pole to switch the group of lights, and the other pole to switch the single spot (parallel with the PIR switching contacts).

If using a wall switch, use a grid switch, as DP switches are not nice as light switches.

If you have a fancy wall switch, or a touch switch etc, you would use option 2 - A relay controlled by your switch, and the relay contacts wired as the DP switch above.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: is this possible?
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2014, 6:57pm

How about switching them to LED bulbs while you are at it. 50W becomes 5W. Look for bulbs that produce >400 Lumens. You probably won't find them in the DIY sheds but lots on ebay or Amazon.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print