Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 14th, 2024, 2:01pm
Quote: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alterations to window openings (Read 1903 times)
Strawberry
GDPR opt-out

Alterations to window openings
Oct 10th, 2014, 7:57pm

Hi all
I'm looking to make alterations to several window/door openings on my house. I want to have my current back door totally removed and bricked up. I also want a window on the back of my house made narrower and taller.

I have had a builder out to quote. These walls have been filled with cavity wall insulation previously. The builder has told me he will close all the cavities and use block work on the inside. When I asked if he would put any more insulation in the new areas of wall he said it wouldn't be necessary. I also asked if that would be compliant with building regs and he told me yes. Does this sound right? Won't we end up with cold spots?

The front of the house had timber cladding. I'm looking to remove one very wide window and create two smaller ones instead. This will require a small infill panel in the middle. The builder proposed to do this in stud work. Would this be acceptable to building control?

Thanks very much.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Alterations to window openings
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2014, 2:25pm

I could be wrong but I think this work does have to be under Building Control notification. Not wishing to set hares running but a close neighbour had work carried out by a Ledbury based cowboy builder who bodged about everything and never got building control involved. The neighbour is now faced with a £70k bill for remedial work.

Does your local building control hold surgeries where you can go along and talk to them before committing?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Alterations to window openings
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2014, 7:51am

I agree. A Building Control notice is needed but shouldn't be a problem.

I'd look for another builder. Seems daft not to put insulation in a blocked up doorway even if it were compliant with the Building Regs. Not like it's difficult.

Quote:
The front of the house had timber cladding. I'm looking to remove one very wide window and create two smaller ones instead. This will require a small infill panel in the middle. The builder proposed to do this in stud work. Would this be acceptable to building control?

There will be a lintel/beam across the top of the existing wide window. If the two new windows fit below that then what the builder proposes should be fine as the panel won't be carrying any load. If the two new windows don't fit below the existing lintel it may have to be replaced by two shorter ones - in which case a brick pier or similar might be needed.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print