Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 14th, 2024, 6:11am
Quote: 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm.....

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Offline??? (Read 13388 times)
Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Offline???
Jun 5th, 2004, 7:40pm

OK. Who didn't pay the electric bill? Shocked
Never known it to be switched off at 2.30AM before. lmao Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2004, 7:40pm by Dewy »  

IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Re: Offline???
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2004, 7:45am

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to stick up a simple index (home) page that simply says summit like "The Forum is down for maintenance", via a re-routed url if need be?

It would be a nice touch, maybe not for us trades people but for visitors who are left to leave thinking "Oh me mate told me about that good forum but clearly it has either closed down or me mate gave me the wrong url"

A bit more professional?

RR

IP Logged

squiggle
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2004, 11:49am

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1086460806/0#1 date=1086504338]Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to stick up a simple index (home) page that simply says summit like "The Forum is down for maintenance", via a re-routed url if need be? [/quote]

It's beyond my wit! I'd imagine the whole server is down rather than just the forum so presumably you would have to redirect to elsewhere. I'm not sure how this setup with IP pools works but normally you can't just change IP numbers on a tempory basis as they can take up to 48hrs to filter through the caching systems on the Internet.

That said, as I use this forum to ask questions and sometimes just for chat, maybe if SS could work out his end, I could help out. I have a reseller account with excess space (most of it is reserved for the expansion of folkinfo). I could setup a Novaserve account over there (small, say 10MB, but for free of course) which SS could control for ftp etc. I guess it could also be done using a co. providing free web space but they all seem to carry unwanted popups and things and as a result don't look professional.

Jon
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2004, 11:51am by squiggle »  

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2004, 12:39pm

we will move to proper servers in london docklands and have a paid domain.
once the need comes, i dont see the point in spending cash before i can
1) see enough traffic
2)make something back
and we have raised a good....£20 something quid from affiliates...another £300 or so and we will be well on the way  Grin

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

squiggle
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2004, 2:00pm

I'd agree with all of that SS.

All I was saying was that if you had a means of temporarily redirecting an IP number when you take your current system down for maintainence, I could probably provide you with somewhere to place any notices and hopefully make it look as if it was still your site that was being accessed.

Just an offer of something that perhaps could be tried, not a criticism of your efforts here.

Jon

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2004, 3:11pm

i dident take it that way squiggle,
i do appreciate the offer, but the last 2 weeks have been very busy, and the next few weeks atleast look the same so i probrably wont have time to get involved too much with this.
either way it would be dificult to acheve as the IP is directed at our server, which, if it goes down would make the IP completely not work, only soloution i can see would be to have a seperate server just for the IP, which is fine, until it happens to be the router which goes down (is what we beleve the cause was now).

lots of stuff needs to be completed on the forum, trade map, How to Guides, and a huge list of other stuff, but unfortunatly i dont have the time at the moment and the idea of advertising probrably wont attract much intrest til we hit a member count of a thousand +
web hosting wont come about until we get the new server, which counts on the money being raised, -through our affiliates and through advertising- once we hit say £250 ill buy the servers and set it up, but as of now i think it will be hard to cover the bills if its done right now. We need to get more traffic- but im all out of ideas on how to......

cheers

ss

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2004, 4:25pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1086460806/0#5 date=1086531067]either way it would be dificult to acheve as the IP is directed at our server, which, if it goes down would make the IP completely not work, only soloution i can see would be to have a seperate server just for the IP, which is fine, until it happens to be the router which goes down (is what we beleve the cause was now). [/quote]
If you had the domain based on www.freeparking.co.uk you could switch it instantly. It's free to set up an accoun there, it's just the cost of acquiring the domain which is the cost - and I would imagine £9.99 for two years wouldn't be so hard to find even if you aren't a plumber Smiley

All of my domains are controlled via freeparking, and in the event my mainstream server goes down I just switch to somewhere else with very little downtime.

If you are running the DNS server yourself then I would say that's a huge mistake. You really need the DNS to be hosted somewhere which is bulletproof.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2004, 4:33pm

That must have hurt yesterday Andrew.
You could have added another 99 posts in the time it was down.  Grin Cheesy Wink Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2004, 7:18pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1086460806/0#6 date=1086535507]
If you had the domain based on www.freeparking.co.uk you could switch it instantly. It's free to set up an accoun there, it's just the cost of acquiring the domain which is the cost - and I would imagine £9.99 for two years wouldn't be so hard to find even if you aren't a plumber Smiley

All of my domains are controlled via freeparking, and in the event my mainstream server goes down I just switch to somewhere else with very little downtime.

If you are running the DNS server yourself then I would say that's a huge mistake. You really need the DNS to be hosted somewhere which is bulletproof.

Andrew
[/quote]

yeh but that takes effort and dont forget this isnt myjob (unlike in your case) where you would be arround to switch the account- im not here to maintain or constantly check the status.
and of course im not running my own DNS....id have to be mad 8)

ss

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2004, 7:23pm

Blimey, all keep ur hair on tis back now, no mention of what made it go down tho  Cry  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2004, 7:42pm

yeh there was

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2004, 7:58pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1086460806/0#8 date=1086545891]yeh but that takes effort and dont forget this isnt myjob (unlike in your case) [/quote]
It used to be my job. I'm quite happy doing the handyman stuff today. Much less stressful Smiley

Quote:
where you would be arround to switch the account- im not here to maintain or constantly check the status. and of course im not running my own DNS....id have to be mad 8)

Sorry, I was probably a bit too agressive with my earlier comment. And you aren't mad Smiley

I run one of my test domains on dyndns.org's server, which points the domain to my server here. Most of the time I've got the firewall blocking access, but occasionally I use it for testing.

I've got a separate software product which sits on the server monitoring the public IP address. If that changes (and it does sometimes) that software utility buggers off to dyndns.org and tells them, and the domain is instantly repointed to the new IP address.

I have another software utility that monitors several domains 24x7. If a domain goes down it issues alerts. It could feasibly run an external program to switch to a new web server, but I haven't bothered.

My domains are hosted on Windows NT web servers in Docklands, and despite what people sometimes say the latest incarnations of those servers are pretty bulletproof. These novoserve forums have enjoyed more downtime in the few weeks that they've been available than my domains have had in the last 18 months Smiley

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2004, 10:04pm

they have only been down for about 20 hours out of schedule and that is because i have a full time job- i dont sit here and bugger off to the loft straight away when they go off!
and yesterday it was probrably because of the router- not the system!
as for downtime- i think you probrably do have it, just for very short periods.
you seem to take the view that i sit on this chair all day and constantly monitor the server/ router, as nice as that would be, and boring, it dosnt pay much, and as it is now with the £20 we have raised, im still £60 out of pocket, and i wont be investing in this with my savings til i know its worth it, right now its not.

ss

IP Logged

coggy
Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2004, 10:41pm

SS

Did you get that back for the order i placed with Tooled up.com?

We could all do with some how supporting this forum a bit more and take a look at the affiliate links it has so it can create a bit of money Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2004, 8:38am

It doesn't seem fair to me that ss has had to shell out all this money while we all use it for free, and until it gets a lot bigger it will take forever to generate this sort of money through advertisers.

Why not ask for a voluntary £10 donation from the regular contributors? (Or £1 per post from Andrew Grin)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2004, 10:40am

I did mention that AGES ago Woodlice, I for one would be more than happy to make a contribution of say £10 per year, per 6 months, per week....

Maybe it would be a good idea to charge per posting! That would slow postings up a bit!

RR

PS. This was my 1000 posting!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner