Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:36pm
Quote: 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timber frame (Read 5004 times)
chris1969
GDPR opt-out

Timber frame
Jul 13th, 2004, 9:19pm

I Need a bit of advise, i am doing some work for a customer that wants her  outer house, with three internal rooms making into a utility room,i have allready put in new door linnings and she now wants the plasterer to plaster the concrete ceiling which she has asked me to make a timber frame to fasten the dry linning boards  to.
My question is, could joist hangers be used knocked into the brickwork then screwed into place and also what size timbers to use.The internal rooms are only small   6ft x 3, or is there anything else on the market for this purpose.cheers ???

IP Logged

splinter
GDPR opt-out

Re: Timber frame
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2004, 12:17am

chris 1969,
                 you could fix 2"x2" battens straight to the ceiling using srews and plugs a sds drill would make easy work of drilling the concrete Smiley

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2004, 2:13am

As for using joist hangers. It depends on the height of the ceiling. If it's a high ceiling then it's a possibility to lower it. If already low then battens screwed to the concrete is better.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2004, 7:42am

You could fix two timbers to the 6ft walls with plugs & screws then fix 3ft timbers at rightangles to these at approx 400mm cts just nailed at an angle, as its such a small area joist hangers would be overkill. I've used this method several times on small bathrooms and kitchens maybe  with an intermediate support for larger spans using 50x75 or CLS

Jason

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2004, 8:29am

After you have screwed the frame to the ceiling make sure you use foil backed plasterboard (which acts as a vapour barrier) to prevent condensation forming in the void.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2004, 10:46am

heeelllooo chriss 1969

im absolutly shure youve thought about
these points but just a reminder Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

because its a single panel going up

mark the position of any joists so you
know where they are

and dont forget about any wireing
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2004, 10:46am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

chris1969
Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2004, 9:22pm

Thanks guys for the advise but i think i'll use splinters method of fixing 2 bi 2's to the ceiling ,its not me doin the plastering  its my brother and the wireing has already being done so thats not a problem
Once again thanks for all your help, cheers. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2004, 10:44pm

2x2 is the best job, though I would be inclined to use compress anchors rather than plugs and screws as they are a great deal faster and tight as a drum.(sds 8mm and 100mm anchors) I do whole houses this way on the hollow core concrete flooring and then counter batten the opposite way with 2x1 screwed with 40mm drywalls, a couple of tips if she is plannining recessed lighting you need to cut out some of the concrete ceiling directly above where the light will be set as even 2x2 plus 2x1 plus 12.5mm board is not deep enough to house them., also with the 2x2 often there is one side a few mill different to the other so can put a bit of a wave in the board if they are not all fixed with the same thickness on the timber. Bit fussy that I know but it can be seen to a critical eye, also try and set your timbers so they fall halfway into an 2400x1200 plasterboard from both ends of the room so that there are minimal cuts and wastage when slabbing.
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2004, 10:47pm by ROBBO »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chris1969
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2004, 2:15am

Cheers robbo i might just do all that, i cant ramble on now as its 2 in the mornin  but if i need any more assistence i'll give ya all a shout. Cheers again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print