Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 16th, 2024, 8:25am
Quote: Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Forum & Server Status (Read 17282 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Forum & Server Status
Reply #17 - Mar 15th, 2005, 7:43pm

One other thing - what makes you think you would have less control? I have a control panel on my ISP arrangement where I have access to absolutely everything that I would ever have if I had the server here! And more besides.

Plus online statistics to tell me where the visitors are coming from etc.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2005, 7:47pm

well, to be honest were not that unreliable.

and i dont have the time to set anything up, neither does pluggy.

also where is that money going to come from?

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Mar 15th, 2005, 10:01pm

WoOo forums back  8)

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #20 - Mar 15th, 2005, 11:13pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1104667542/15#18 date=1110916067]well, to be honest were not that unreliable [/quote]

Don't take it the wrong way but I reckon a few people were "inconvenienced" earlier today. I must've tried half a dozen times during the day Wink

Quote:
and i dont have the time to set anything up, neither does pluggy

Can't speak for the Linux side of things 'cos that's not my bag, but I just FTP all the web content I have on the Internet from my local server to the ISP server, just like copying files using Windows Explorer. Two minutes, mostly just watching the files fly up to the server, jobs a good 'un.

I looked at the YaBB forum software a while back. Not sure of my facts, but aren't the messages held as discrete files in directories rather than in a formal database? If so, piece of cake to transfer to a new server once you've set up the account (10 minutes), just FTP the files and job's a good 'un.

A little time to transfer the DNS obviously, but that's no big deal and a one-off.

I would reasonably expect a one-time setup to take maybe 1 hour of time, after that it just runs and runs. Server goes down, the ISP staff reboot it. And they've got all the firewalls and routers configured to stop the bad guys from giving them a bad hair day.

Quote:
also where is that money going to come from?

You mean to pay for the arrangement of hosting at an ISP?

I would reasonably expect you to get some change out of £50 per year for hosting at an ISP (hell, I could provide what you need for that cost - but I'm not offering 'cos doing things for friends never works out! Wink).

Your (and pluggy's) time for keeping the server running amounts to quite a bit I would think. You obviously won't be billing that time but if you were I would guess it would be a significant amount based upon an hourly charge. I'm talking about keeping the server running here, not keeping the forums operational - that forum time would be equal wherever they were hosted. I imagine things like Linux backups etc add to the time, and ISP's generally backup their servers as part of the grand plan.

Then there's the cost of hardware. You've paid for the server now. But if something breaks down? New CPU and/or motherboard is £100-ish. New disk drive £50-ish. Plus all the downtime whilst you get it fixed. Therein might lie a problem in so far that you want to attract sponsorship-type arrangements, and the sponsors might not be overly happy if the server isn't "reliable". Sod's law says you will have a bad hair day on the day that your potential primary sponsor takes a look.....

Cost of electricity? You are running a PC 24x7. That will be drawing 200w+ of power all the time. I don't know what sort of cost that represents, but 1/5th of a small electric fire will make a dent in the electricity bill which over the course of a year would add up. And I'm running 2x PC's here 24/7/365 so I really ought to figure that cost out.....

Then there's the contributions from the members which may well cover the remote hosting costs (obviously I have no idea what figures there will be in this regard).

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2005, 11:25pm

server costs about 10p per 24 hours = £36.5 per year if we were running on peak all the time.

line is shared so it costs nothing that it wouldent anyway, just making use of it all the time.

if we go offline we go offline, simple as that, its a free service.
were not going after sponsership or advertising, if we were ittad be different and id get decent server gear and claim back under the buisness.
as well as a chunky line.

if i really wanted to spend out on the forums i could cover the costs pretty easly, but im tight, and i like to be in control of all my hardware/software. Grin

and i wot because i dont actuly get anything other than a forum for the trouble Roll Eyes

the problem was, as it always is, the router.
it simply colapses, if we get a better one then it wont happen.

im going to get a second line put in, i will have a big connection set up on this line.
i will buy a decent router and i will set it up on this line and thats it, job done. then if the forum raises the money, along with a contribution from me, i will buy a better server.

btw, this cost me the whole of....nothing to set up, plenty of spares, the router is all i had to buy but its shared with the home network so hardly purpose brought.

and as for time consumption, only takes a second to reboot.

ss

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2005, 6:48pm

so what happened today then??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2005, 7:07pm

carpenters fault

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2005, 7:22pm

understood

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #25 - Jul 26th, 2005, 7:33pm

lol Grin

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #26 - Jul 27th, 2005, 11:20am

What? , caught on camera peeing in the server? Tongue

Oh no that was a plumber.  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #27 - Jul 27th, 2005, 5:10pm

[quote author=Beanzy  link=1104667542/15#26 date=1122459646]What? , caught on camera peeing in the server? Tongue

Oh no that was a plumber.  Wink [/quote]
That's what comes of having the server in the attic.  Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #28 - Jul 27th, 2005, 5:13pm

I have visions of it resing on planks of wood, surrounded by xmas decorations and boxes of shite you think you want to keep Grin

It could be in a boarded loft, with carpet, walls and everything Roll Eyes

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print