Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:56pm
Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting a splint on a cracked joist (Read 3402 times)
yoggo
GDPR opt-out

Putting a splint on a cracked joist
Jan 11th, 2005, 8:05pm

I have taken down the ceiling in a downstairs room to expose quite attractive beams.

Unfortunately one is cracked where there is a t-joint at the outer corner of a trap door which is right in the corner of the room. At the crack the joist is 0.5” lower than those which are clear of the trap door. If I do a little jump right on the corner of the hatch hole the joist moves down just a little and the crack visibly opens, but it appears to only go about halfway up to where there is a hole cut by whoever fitted the hatch – it’s a real messy job involving old large headed wrought iron nails (The house is 200 years old though maybe not this bit!)

Thinking of the letter ‘T’ formed by the joists at the corner of the trap door I want to put a flat steel plate across the top of the ‘T’ and bolt it in place with 2” square steel washers on the other side. I have seen advice on your forum (and elsewhere) that  holes for pipes (and cables) in floor joists should always be drilled at the midpoint where the joist is neither in tension nor compression when loaded above but for my case a friendly builder thinks I should drill a zigzag pattern for bolt holes. I have in mind to make the plate as wide as I can fit.

What do you recommend re the holes? Also any guidance on length and thickness of plate, diameter of bolts?

Some further details: joists are 7.5” x 2.5” spaced at 16” spanning 8’ except for 5 which span only 5’6” because they abut the long side of the trap door. The room above is mainly used for storage including lots of heavy books. I intend to use an acroprop when I fit the plate to push up under the crack so that it is slightly too high, say 0.25”, when I fit the plate.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Putting a splint on a cracked joist
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2005, 7:51am

Are you going to replace the ceiling?

If you are it would be better to fit a plate or additional joist to the side of the damaged one. I would make it the full 8ft long and bolt right through with 12mm bolts every 300mm staggered top & bottom. Had a job last year where 4 joists had split right through and thats how I did it.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Sues%20Kitchen/?action=view&curr...

A plate on the top will have very little effect, would be better on the underside so the steel is in tension.

Jason

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2005, 5:52pm

Jason, nice looking job.  What is that kitchen mixer tap?  It looks as though it is adjustable for height?  Am I seeing things?

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2005, 6:21pm

With eyes like that picture who knows what you can see Grin It was in the home of a kitchen designer that I sometimes fit for, didn't know what to say when she asked me the cause of the cracked joists as they were right under her bed!!

Sinks are Blanco Zeroxline, tap is also Blanco, the bracket is a bit like a shower rail as the tap is on a hose.

http://www.homecreations.co.uk/acatalog/blanco_tower_tap.htm

Jason

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2005, 9:56pm

LOL  Grin

Cheers Jason, shame these taps are high pressure only, hot would run a bit slow with 5m head.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print