Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 12:56pm
Quote: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
House re-wire (Read 5185 times)
Bubba

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

House re-wire
Feb 7th, 2005, 9:42am

For my 8 years as an electrician (which includes my apprenticship) I spent it mainly on commercial and industrial work rather than domestic.

I have recently returned back to the electrical trade after a 2 year absence and are currently self employed.

I have an opportunity to work for a local company doing house re-wires on price work. It is what I would call decent money - obviously the quicker I do a house the quicker the money comes in.

The only house re-wires I have done in the past have been done on un-lived in properties so carrying out a re-wire on a lived in house is new to me.

Can anyone give me any advice on:

the best practice for carrying out a re-wire on a lived in house
how long a house (3 bed) should take to do with a sparkies mate
anything else I should need to know

It would be a 2 year contract but dont want to take it without knowing what I would be letting myself in for.

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Trade: Electrician

Re: House re-wire
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005, 1:29pm

[quote author=Bubba  link=1107769326/0#0 date=1107769326]...I have recently returned back to the electrical trade after a 2 year absence and are currently self employed.

I have an opportunity to work for a local company doing house re-wires on price work...The only house re-wires I have done in the past have been done on un-lived in properties so carrying out a re-wire on a lived in house is new to me.

Can anyone give me any advice on:

the best practice for carrying out a re-wire on a lived in house
how long a house (3 bed) should take to do with a sparkies mate
anything else I should need to know

[/quote]

Rewiring lived-in houses is a real pain-i-t-a and it is a 'how long is a piece of string' type of question.

On average I do a three-bed standard rewire in about four days, with three days assisted by my [reliable] brother and the fourth day completing testing and connecting up the new CU, but it has taken as long as seven days on some jobs

Things you'll need to consider though:

How much stuff needs moving?

What state are the carpets? ( being replaced, or need to be looked after)

Is the loft boarded and full of cr*p?

How many other people/other trades might be in the house at the same time?

Do they have a million kids who will suddenly appear any time after 3pm and expect to occupy the whole of the first floor and use electricity?

How prepared are the occupants to live in a work-in-progress? Or do they expect every board to be put back, all carpets relaid, all furniture to be repositioned, every socket to work and every ornament [i.e. piece of pikey junk] to be dusted and replaced? In other words, will you spend three hours every day just moving stuff?

Are the occupants clean? That is, will you have to degrease and fumigate or get inocculations before you can touch anything? (Okay, a bit extreme that one, but if it's council houses you'll get a fair few flea bites!)

If the weather is wet and muddy, how well prepared are you to keep the dirt outside? (two pairs of footwear? slip-on covers? etc..)

If you'll be doing the jobs without seeing the house yourself beforehand you'll have to be prepared to tackle these and other issues from the start - you may find that you'll spend half the first day just working out a plan of action.  

If it was me it would have to be decent money!!!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2005, 2:06pm

lol, think you covered that really well dingbat  Grin

IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2005, 4:47pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107769326/0#2 date=1107785201]lol, think you covered that really well dingbat  Grin [/quote]

Well, I mean... how dare people want to live in their own houses when I'm working on them. That's just sooooo unreasonable Grin

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2005, 5:35pm

And soooo unsafe  Grin

IP Logged

riyou

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2005, 7:45pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1107769326/0#1 date=1107782975]

Things you'll need to consider though:

How much stuff needs moving?

Are the occupants clean? That is, will you have to degrease and fumigate or get inocculations before you can touch anything? (Okay, a bit extreme that one, but if it's council houses you'll get a fair few flea bites!)

If it was me it would have to be decent money!!! [/quote]

Yes,we are a dirty lot,those of us who live a council house.We dont wash,dont work, have 10 snotty nosed kids,our wifes are fat lazy bitches and now we are told that our houses have fleas.
What a load of CR@p

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mrgrumpy
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2005, 9:04pm

Quote:
Yes,we are a dirty lot,those of us who live a council house.We dont wash,dont work, have 10 snotty nosed kids,our wifes are fat lazy bitches and now we are told that our houses have fleas.
What a load of CR@p

Is that right? I would never of thought that! Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2005, 9:06pm by mrgrumpy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2005, 10:32pm

[quote author=riyou  link=1107769326/0#5 date=1107978340]

What a load of CR@p
[/quote]

Each to there own, I've been in council houses where the occupants have p!ssed on the carpet's, left rotting food around, flea ridden mattresses yes, lets leave it there..

Point is I wouldnt tarnish everyone with the same brush, but it is a fact that you will go to some place's and encounter some of these things, so don't get all hung up about it, I'm sure you live in a clean tidy house and you all wash daily and so there's no problem  Wink

IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2005, 10:38pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107769326/0#7 date=1107988334]Each to there own, I've been in council houses where the occupants have p!ssed on the carpet's, left rotting food around, flea ridden mattresses yes, lets leave it there.. [/quote]

I've been in non-council houses and not rented either which are absolutly abysmal. Shall we say that the attic in one was used by two dogs as a toilet, and the attic was not small.  Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2005, 10:52pm

lol ok ok ok, we shouldnt have got into this, I should have kept stum  Grin

I now draw a close to this digusting discussion

here ---->  Grin

Insert clean re-wire talk here  <----   Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2005, 10:54pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2005, 12:01am

What a load of CR@p
[/quote]

I grew up in a council house. In fact, my parents eventually bought it, after some thirty years of renting. Every time there was work to be done next door they had to fumigate. Of course we shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush - there  are equally filthy privately-owned houses. But the point is that the private scum won't fork out for tradesmen, whereas the council scum don't have to. It's a fact of life; if you are doing domestic work for the council you will get flea bites eventually. Sad, but true.

IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2005, 10:14pm

guys doing council rewires up here usually do about 4 houses a week

they are quick but thats about it you couldn't pay me to do that kindb of work.

and you will find plenty of the kind dingbat describede but a few wee palaces as well

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2005, 11:10pm

What a load of CR@p
[/quote]

i live in a council place, typical council estate, we’ve got the pikies, general lowlife, and the area next to us is made up of 500000 - 20 million pound houses

the way of life, i don’t take dingbats comments offensively as ive been there seen it and i can vouch that it really is like that in some places, and i would think that anyone else in a council house wont take offence, Unless he hit a nerve with that comment......

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2005, 4:40pm

[quote author=riyou  link=1107769326/0#5 date=1107978340]..our wifes are fat lazy bitches .. [/quote]
Can't be that bad, surely, or they'd get no punters...

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print