Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:50pm
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
installing central heating (Read 18639 times)
JohnD
GDPR opt-out

installing central heating
Mar 7th, 2005, 4:21pm

I have agreed with a plumber friend that he will put in a combi boiler for me if I get all the pipework ready for him.    I have done cold water plumbing before and plastic, but never central heating. He will do all the gas side.

I have got the bathroom plumbing ready and am now thinking about the central heating.

His instructions were 'Just' (I liked the 'just'!) raise a floorboard, run the pipes up the centre of the living room, tee off to the hall, do the same in the bedrooms and bob's your uncle! Simple!'  

Yeah, right.  Like rocket science!  I have been looking in plumbing books - Collins etc - but they are all quite useful if you want to maintain something but useless on c.h. design and installation.  

A few questions.

1. Is there any particular depth under floorbaords which pipes should be laid?  Or is a 3/4" notch still o.k.?

2. End feed or solder ring fittings or doesn't it matter?

3.  Where I tee off under floorboards and one pipe has to pass over another, is it best to have the bend in the flow side or the return side? Or doesn't it matter?

4. Years ago they used to use old carpet around pipe where they passed over joists to stop banging. What do I use now? Lagging?

5. When running my pipes up the centre of the room to a radiator at the far end of it, I assume that,  as the joists are parallel to the wall I am running to, I run the pipe right over the first joist virtually up to the wall (there is a 2" gap between the joist and the wall) then  fit a right angle bend to each pipe and after 2' 6"  on each pipe then come up through the floorboards to the rad.  This will mean that there should be enough give in the pipe to get the rad off.

The reason I ask is that it would be simpler to put my bends in one joist further back, and then run two pipes straight to the rad some 5' apart, but then I assume I would have more difficulty lifting the rad off the brackets for decorating etc. unless there was a very deep cut in the joist indeed, which wouldn't be good practice.   Have I got it right?

6.  Finally, should I lag the hot pipes and c.h., pipe under the floorboards?  I assume this would prevent floorboard shrinkage and heat wastage but have never seen it mentioned.

Thanks

JohnD

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: installing central heating
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2005, 9:46pm

[quote author=JohnD  link=1110212496/0#0 date=1110212496]
1. Is there any particular depth under floorbaords which pipes should be laid?  Or is a 3/4" notch still o.k.?

2. End feed or solder ring fittings or doesn't it matter?

3.  Where I tee off under floorboards and one pipe has to pass over another, is it best to have the bend in the flow side or the return side? Or doesn't it matter?

4. Years ago they used to use old carpet around pipe where they passed over joists to stop banging. What do I use now? Lagging?

5. When running my pipes up the centre of the room to a radiator at the far end of it, I assume that,  as the joists are parallel to the wall I am running to, I run the pipe right over the first joist virtually up to the wall (there is a 2" gap between the joist and the wall) then  fit a right angle bend to each pipe and after 2' 6"  on each pipe then come up through the floorboards to the rad.  This will mean that there should be enough give in the pipe to get the rad off.

The reason I ask is that it would be simpler to put my bends in one joist further back, and then run two pipes straight to the rad some 5' apart, but then I assume I would have more difficulty lifting the rad off the brackets for decorating etc. unless there was a very deep cut in the joist indeed, which wouldn't be good practice.   Have I got it right?

6.  Finally, should I lag the hot pipes and c.h., pipe under the floorboards?  I assume this would prevent floorboard shrinkage and heat wastage but have never seen it mentioned.

Thanks

JohnD [/quote]

Some answers.

1: ¾ notch will be fine. (mark the boards so you dont nail the pipes)

2: Doesnt matter, if you are confident enough use end feed as they are cheaper, if you havent done too much soldering stick to the solder ring fittings. If using solder ring dont be tempted to add solder, just heat until you get the nice silver ring round the fitting. TIP: use plenty flux and wipe off with damp cloth once joint is made for a clean finish.

3: Doesnt matter, but give yourself plenty room so you dont need a tight bend, less bends the better.

4: Lag all your pipes anyway. lagging will do fine for creaking and dont cut your notches too tight.

5: Leaving plenty slack from the last joist might give more play, however to get the rad off the play is better horizontally i.e play in pipe side on to rad. I would cut the joist an inch or so for this notch laterally so this play is there(remember the floorboard will need an inch "hole" too.)

6: See 4

Hope this helps.

btk
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 9:47pm by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2005, 11:44pm

Thanks, BTK - very helpful!

As to lagging, any particular type? Polyethylene o.k., or should I go for the old fashioned hessian stuff?

As to giving myself plenty of room, should I raise two adjacent floorboards and put a pipe under each - or just put one either side of the same floorboard?  

Oh yes, knew there was something else -  how long can a straight run of CH or hot water pipe be be before I have to put an 'omega loop' in to allow for expansion?  

Thanks again

JohnD

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 11:48pm by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2005, 9:25am

[quote author=JohnD  link=1110212496/0#2 date=1110239072]Thanks, BTK - very helpful!

As to lagging, any particular type? Polyethylene o.k., or should I go for the old fashioned hessian stuff?

As to giving myself plenty of room, should I raise two adjacent floorboards and put a pipe under each - or just put one either side of the same floorboard?  

Oh yes, knew there was something else -  how long can a straight run of CH or hot water pipe be be before I have to put an 'omega loop' in to allow for expansion?  

Thanks again

JohnD

[/quote]

Dude its 2005, never let me hear the words hessian lagging again. TIP,: Lag the pipes before you install them. then you only have small sections at the joints to lag once its in place.

2 boards, you'll need the room to work at them anyway.

not long enough in a domestic pumped heating system.

you are over complicating things now lol.  

2 runs, flow and return down middle of house teeing off to rads. just like yer m8 said! lol.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2005, 2:58pm

I'm not a plumber but...

Wouldn't any plumbers recommend plastic pipe for this job?

I mean you can drill rather than notch joists.

No soldering.

No pipe bending.

Less knocking.

Any disadvantages?
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2005, 2:59pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2005, 4:42pm

Plastic pipe?  Not on your nellie! Quick, convenient and totally unproven in terms of its long term suitability.

Speaking only as a talented amateur I'll carry on soldering.........

JohnD

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2005, 4:45pm

unreliable, ive always seen it sag under the floor.

recomended by me if you want a flood.

not a plumber but ive asked a few plumbers this and ive only seen one use it for a full system....and he has had to go back about 6 times.

it was installed in 2002 lol

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2005, 7:06pm

Here in Belgium it seems to be much more common than in the UK. The impression I get is that in the UK few people have sufficient experience with the stuff to get it working right. I hear once you are aware of it's quirks it's a lot quicker to install.

If I've done my sums right there will be about a kilometer of the stuff concreted into the UFH system of my house - so it better not leak!

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2005, 7:25pm

plastic plumbing like that has been arround for about 15-20 years i beleve,,,....hardly new  Wink

over here its seen as diyer standard

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2005, 10:35am

plastic pipe can be very good when properly installed. Personally I only use the stuff for very hard to get to stuff, some showers etc. I always use copper and end feed(where possible) i feel that the main advantage with copper is that it doesnt tend to sag and gives a far higher finished look than plastic. I'd never recommend a DIYer to use it as the joints need to be well made and away from things like joists etc where they might get knocked off, remember most plastic joints are push fit and are removed by simply pressing a ring towards the joint, if these are against anything they can pull themselves off(much like a sparkie, lol).

I would only use plastic where it will never be seen, which granted a heating system pipework is never seen. But just not worth it IMO. I would stick to copper specially since its your own house, you might never see it, but you'll always know whats there! Peace of mind! lol

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2005, 7:21pm

I will always use copper where and when i can - especially if its on view - some sites tho now specify plastic pipe so they can have the intermediary floors down before plumbers / sparks do their first fix.  Plastic plumbing is fine when its installed properly - which it usually isnt - needs to be clipped every 500mm - needs to be cut with proper pipe cutters, not a hacksaw or stanley knife - as BTK says joints need to be installed properly so they are not under too much strain.  Ive installed loads of Hep2O with no major problems but have been out to many leaks on the stuff put in by DIY'ers / builders because they dont really understand what they are doing  - sparks on sites dont like it coz its a nightmare to bond when youve got plastic under floors and copper coming up thru floor to rads / sanitaryware

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2005, 9:10pm

Done loads of complete CH systems in Hep20 barrier pipe, wouldn't use anything else now, had no problems, done complete bathrooms and kitchens with no problems either, no way can you pul off a Hep20 fitting either slimline or the demountable fittings if they are fitted correctly, I dont trust the white speedfit type of stuff though as it doesn't seem as robust, I mix and match copper and Hep20 together with no problems at all.

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2005, 10:47pm

Agreed, Hep has got to be the best on the market but most expensive.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2005, 10:57pm

Yeah i've never had any problems with the stuff either, well if you dont count 'it looks like shït' as a problem.  Loads of clips, formed bends. offset anyone??  Gimme a good copper install anyday of the week.

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2005, 11:14pm

I normally would have it hidden under the floor.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2005, 9:47am

Who gives a toss what they look like under the floor, wELL I DO FOR STARTERS

Plastic rubbish.

scruff Grin Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/thescruff/Imgp0921-m.jpg

And try this in plastic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/thescruff/Imgp0990.jpg
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 10:05am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2005, 4:28pm

Scruff, careful when you fill up m8 -  seem to have a couple of open ends in that second picture  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print