Quote: They didn't know it was impossible, so they did it - Mark Twain

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oak flooring (Read 2542 times)
jon
GDPR opt-out

oak flooring
Mar 16th, 2005, 2:07pm

I have pre-finished solid oak t&g flooring , boards are 150mm wide & various lengths, it is being layed on a concrete base, what method should i use for fixing. Any  advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged

greg
GDPR opt-out

Re: oak flooring
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2005, 4:03pm

Im no chippy but as the boards will need to expand i would imagine it will have to be installed as a floating floor with some kind of membrane

IP Logged

coggy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2005, 5:23pm

Hi

Yes agree with Greg.  I would put a 1000 gauge membrane sheet down and glue each board to do a floating floor.  Make sure you leave a good gap round the edges for expansion.  If the floor is slightly un even put levelling boards down on top of the membrane.  There about £20 per pack from Wickes, B & Q etc and are a green board that covers about 10m2.

Hope this helps

Jase
Coggy

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2005, 8:31pm

I've just been to see a large farm house with a similar oak floor only they had UFH in the screed. Their floor was installed as a floating floor with a plastic  membrane. It's now two and a half years old and looks great.

Make really sure the concrete is really dry before you lay the floor. The test someone recommended to me is to put a rubber car mat down for a 24 hours. If there is any damp/condensation under it when you lift it the concrete isn't dry enough. I guess a damp meter would also work!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2005, 10:13pm

Use a proper damp meter!  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print