Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 6:07pm
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Job Pricing (Read 5152 times)
dial-a-spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Job Pricing
Mar 16th, 2005, 9:42pm

Hi forum

This is my first post.

I have just become an approved domestic installer and I am finding that I am losing out on jobs because I am having to price to include the large amounts of extra time all the certification is taking.

The general public dont seem to understand that this is giving them a much better informed job and as such have to pay extra.

You pay peanuts you get monkeys so to speak.

For example to change a fuseboard you are virtually testing there whole system which they have not asked for. All they want is a lovely looking new cu.

Anybody else finding this a problem.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Trade: Electrician

Re: Job Pricing
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2005, 10:06pm

Okay, a numberof points.

Firstly, you should have always been certifying jobs regardless. It's a requirement of BS 7671 and has been for many, many years.

Don't get into pointless discussions about Part P with Joe Public - he doesn't understand and he doesn't care. All he needs to know is that you are qualified, registered and competent. If you are not a natural salesman, you'll only sound like you're trying to charge for uneccesary work.

As for changing CU's, I have never done this without testing the entire installation, upgrading the bonding and issuing a certificate. I have always charged for a full day and I rarely lose out. My standard rate for a CU is £300 and I have never been asked to justify this

PS: I'm in a 'cheap' part of the Midlands.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2005, 11:14pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1111009360/0#1 date=1111097172]
Firstly, you should have always been certifying jobs regardless. It's a requirement of BS 7671 and has been for many, many years.
[/quote]
yes but much as sparkies liked to treat that book as a bible it was and still is just the IEEs reccomendation not anything legally required.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2005, 11:55pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1111009360/0#2 date=1111101265]
yes but much as sparkies liked to treat that book as a bible it was and still is just the IEEs reccomendation not anything legally required.

[/quote]
oooooo, carefull now, thin ice  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 11:56pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2005, 9:01pm

yes but much as sparkies liked to treat that book as a bible it was and still is just the IEEs reccomendation not anything legally required. [/quote]
Aye, but if you're self-certifying then your scheme operator will require you to work to BS7671, ergo it's all you can work to in a consumer unit situation. With most domestic sparks they will state they work to BS7671 so if that's what you sell to the buyer, then you've got to keep to it, or it strays into 'dodgy geezer' grounds.

Just set a price per house type/size to allow for the testing etc then stick to it, and tell them why. A CU swap out in a medium sized house should be a full day with the testing etc. Bigger pads would be more than a day by the time you've tested. Then there's the non-existent bonding issue.

One job I'm doing at the mo is all the remedials up front then the CU will be the last day once all the circuits & bonding are sorted. About 5 days (including the TV/sat distribution system, light swap-outs & new shed supply etc) & there's hardly any re-wiring. Stick to your guns on price, do you really want to try to compete with the bodgers on price....? If so you'll end up earning like one then going bust in a year. A well designed leaflet may be useful to help explain what you're offering for the money. Then the customers can put the cheaper quote guys on the spot by asking if they'll do all the same for their quote.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2005, 9:42pm

Talking about leaflets, i phoned up my local council once i became a DI, and asked for a couple of dozern of the ODPM leaflets about part p, the customer thinks its great, totally independant guidance and it gives the web sites out so they can look to see you are on a scheme
Havnt lost a job since ive been giving out those leaflets with my quotes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2005, 11:27am

[/quote]

Plug, I hate to say this you are 100% wrong.

He is a person AT work, therefore the Electricity at Work Regulations Act (EWA) comes into force, as does the Health and Safety at Work Act.

BS7671 is quoted in all Legislation concerning electricity these days, and it IS a reuirement of the Building Regs Act..as such it is Law by default.

If you doubt this, I suggest you speak to a lawyer who is an expert in this field.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2005, 3:42pm

lol, this is an old post to pull up jim  Grin

Quote:
He is a person AT work, therefore the Electricity at Work Regulations Act (EWA)

now aside from what PW says, someone tells me that EAWR only applies for places with over 10 persons working, and not for self employed, having read EAWR I can't see that anywhere, do you know anymore?

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2005, 1:43pm

[quote author=Jim Franklin  link=1111009360/0#6 date=1111836435]BS7671 is quoted in all Legislation concerning electricity these days, and it IS a reuirement of the Building Regs Act..as such it is Law by default. [/quote]
Could you please reference the part of the Building Regulations where it says that BS7671 is required?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Mar 27th, 2005, 5:41pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1111009360/0#7 date=1111851725]now aside from what PW says, someone tells me that EAWR only applies for places with over 10 persons working, and not for self employed, having read EAWR I can't see that anywhere, do you know anymore? [/quote]
Also, and I note that Jim "Il Duce" Franklin didn't explicitly say this, the EAWR (which can be found here: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19890635_en_1.htm ) is, just like the Building Regulations, full of generalisations about safety and competence, without giving any strict definition of those terms, and, again just like the Building Regulations, nowhere does it state a requirement to adhere to BS7671.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2005, 12:55am

BAS, EAWR is stautory unlike building regs app documents.. Am I wrong?..

There are definitions in there, but how strict do you want them?  ???

Quote:
nowhere does it state a requirement to adhere to BS7671.

I know, your right, it doesnt, who said it did?..

However, compliance with BS 7671, is a way of showing compliance with EAWR1989 is it not..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print