Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 12:07pm
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low Voltage Lighting and Type 'C' MCB's (Read 2152 times)
wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Low Voltage Lighting and Type 'C' MCB's
Apr 13th, 2005, 1:52pm

I was just perusing the thread about the flickering lights and followed the link to the IEE forum. The explanation seems reasonable to me.
I also picked up on a comment from one of the respondents who says he always fits type 'C' MCB's on lighting circuits.
I recently fitted 2 lots of wireline LV lighting in my kitchen, and found that the type 'B' MCB didn't like it much.
The problem is down to the fact that most of these new-fangled systems seem to use Toroidal transformers. I have had long experience in industry with these things and they almost always require either an anti-surge fuse or type 'C' MCB. Toroids are notorious for their high inrush current.
I have recently seen a Power supply system upgraded, the original used conventionally constructed laminated transformers, the new bits used toroids of identical VA rating and secondary voltage. Guess what? The toroids blew the fuses at switch-on.
The upshot of all this blather is that from experience, I would suggest that type 'C' is definitely the way to go if you are thinking of fitting LV systems with Toroidal transformers. - Electronic "transformers" -which are really minature switch-modes I guess- are not susceptible to the problem of course.

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Low Voltage Lighting and Type 'C' MCB's
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005, 4:39pm

Hi wozzer, you're quite correct, the only thing is with fitting C Type circuit breakers, one must ensure the Earth Fault Loop Impedance (EFLI) of the circuit is LOW enough to let enough current trough quick enough to trip the breaker in the set times, it's not OK just to change breakers on existing systems, or add these unless the circuit impedance (Zs) is measured or calculated to ensure the breakers meet disconnection times.

If this is not done it's both dangerous and a non-compliance, however in most circumstances for a 6A & 10A C-type the disconnection time will be met

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0

Re: Low Voltage Lighting and Type 'C' MCB's
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2005, 4:58pm

- Good point!
Not being involved on a daily basis as you guys are does have it's drawbacks
(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)
- (Well, that and Alzheimers Grin)

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print