Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 11:44am
Quote: A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
House Renovation - Insurance Question (Read 7104 times)
mjc
GDPR opt-out

House Renovation - Insurance Question
Jul 18th, 2005, 11:54am

Had a search and this doesn't seem to have been asked before.

On Friday I take possesion of the keys of a house I am planning to renovate (and then sell).

I understand that the Bank want normal building cover as they are helping me finance the project but I need to properly understand what other liabilities I have.

The house will be unnocupied for the period of the renovation and therefore the only buildings cover I can get is Property Owners liability which only covers for Fire, lightening, Earthquake and Aircraft Strike.  I am still not clear whether this also covers me for any damage to neighbouring properties (people) that I might cause.  

I will be doing a lot of the work myself and am expecting any subbies to carry there own insurance (Do I need to confirm this with them?).  However I will be getting my son's (and probably some of their friends) to help me strip the place out.  Does this mean I need to go for contract works cover as well to cover me if they get injured whilst helping me?

Any pointers in the right direction gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Martin

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Re: House Renovation - Insurance Question
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2005, 2:18pm

If i were you and you are going to do this as a 'job', i would get liability insurance. You can get it fairly cheaply off the net.

And yes i would make sure any trades you subby out have their own insurance. Make sure you ask to see their certificate to make sure thay are covered.

The only problem with the insurace against personal injury is that you have to wait a certain period of time before it pays out.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2005, 11:23pm

It might be worth contact your local HSE office or take a look for booklets on their web site...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

Example:
"The absolutely essential health and safety toolkit for the smaller construction contractor"

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg344.pdf

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jenki
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2005, 4:24pm

Hi MJC - Sorry for the delay -
I agree with both Chaddy and Cwatters ..

On my refurbishment projects -I  Insure the house based on un occupied / refurbishmnet policy, and the rest is covered with my public liability cover. As for the subbies make sure you see their certificates - if they get arsey about it, find somebody else...    

Also if you are doing any work with naked flames- plumbing etc - make sure you mention that for your public liability policy - cos if it burns down they won't pay...
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on avoiding Capital gains tax on the sale of the property though - or is this your only residence?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2005, 6:20pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

It's not proving that easy at the moment sorting this out.  I have had a couple of quotes but that only seems to be for FLEE (Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake) plus what is known as Property Owners Liability.

As I understand it this should be enough to both insure the building to the bank's satisfaction and give me a personal liability insurance.  It doesn't seem to cover public liability (i.e. cover any helpers/subbies that I cause injury to).

Am I correct in saying that if I do a search for "public liability insurance" on google I should find something?  What sort of figure will I be looking at?

The building insurance is looking to be somewhere between £300 and £400 with a pro-rata rebate when I sell the property.

I have found one all singing all dancing policy which seems to cover absolutely everything, however it is a 2 year self-build/renovate policy which costs £615 and there would be no rebate.

As far as CGT is concerned then there is no way round it unfortunately.  We are selling a rental property to help finance the project and will have used up CGT allowance for this year Sad

It is a moot point as to when this changes from being a "project" and turns into a business as far as the revenue is concerned.  If this is succesful (i.e. it doesn't lose me any money) then I will buy another house to renovate.  My accountant seems to think that the revenue doesn't seem too concerned if someone does 2-3 houses a year, what do you think?

Cheers

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2005, 10:59pm

The Self Build Magazines like "Build It" and "home Building and Rennovation" have adverts from Insurance companies and brokers that cover you against dropping a brick on someones head. Try these, give them a call  and explain what you are doing.

http://www.selfbuild.armor.co.uk/

http://www.self-builder.com/sb2/homepage/v2.aspx

http://www.project-builder-insurance.com/

You might be able to avoid CGT by moving abroad to a country that doesn't have CGT then sell it. You would probably have to live there at least 5 years.

If you think you will need to buy a lot of materials it might be worth setting up a company and registering for VAT so that you can reclaim VAT you pay on materials. Self Builders can only claim back VAT on new builds.

I don't know if setting up a company to do this has other benifits eg CGT vs Taxation on company profits?

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2005, 11:16pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2005, 11:57pm

Nothing to do with insurance in this reply. More to do with the tax side of property development.

If you buy a house and do it up and make a profit out of it then you can be liable for CGT.

However if you are planning on doing this as a trade, then if you register as self employed/sole trader than you are only liable for income tax. You might be liable for CGT on your first house though until you can show you are trading.

Deciding on which path to take depends on the number of properties you plan to do and whether or not you are higher rate tax payers. With CGT you get your annual expemption of approx £8k, and £16k for married couples. Though if one is not working/a lower rate tax payer you can split the profit up 90%/10% since you pay CGT at the rate you pay income tax at. With income tax there is a lower limit (approx £4k) but you can offset development costs against the profit.

Note that I have only started to research into the details of the two methods so I might have got some details wrong or even got it totally arse about face so doin't believe a word of what I have said, check it out yourself, though please let me know if I have got it wrong.

See http://www.property-tax-portal.co.uk/taxarticle8.shtml for some info.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mjc
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:09am

Quote:
Deciding on which path to take depends on the number of properties you plan to do and whether or not you are higher rate tax payers. With CGT you get your annual expemption of approx £8k, and £16k for married couples. Though if one is not working/a lower rate tax payer you can split the profit up 90%/10% since you pay CGT at the rate you pay income tax at. With income tax there is a lower limit (approx £4k) but you can offset development costs against the profit.

Yes, that it is right.  I have bought this house in my name only as not only have we used up our CGT allowance, the gains on the rental property (assuming it sells before next April) will put her into the higher rate.  When/if I do the next one and assuming it will fall into the next tax year I will have to work out whether I should buy it in my name or in joint names.  Should be a fairly straightforward spreadsheet job to work out which is the best way to go.

Martin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jenki
Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2005, 8:04am

[quote author=CWatters  link=1121684043/0#5 date=1121983153]
If you think you will need to buy a lot of materials it might be worth setting up a company and registering for VAT so that you can reclaim VAT you pay on materials. Self Builders can only claim back VAT on new builds.

I don't know if setting up a company to do this has other benifits eg CGT vs Taxation on company profits?

[/quote]
I Set up my ltd company for this reason, (to avoid CGT), Unfrotunatley with Refurbishments you can not claim the VAT back on materials used because the sale of houses are zero vat rated - (as CWatters pointed out).  However it is easier to claim all expenses associated with the refurbishment and then you only pay corporation tax on the profit and can take payment in the form of dividands, which saves you on national insurance contributions and is not affected buy how much you earn. - there are binds with the company though - Accontants - Employers liability insurance but IMO though, if you make a good profit 15K + then you will be saving a fortune on tax. and a good accountant can save you even more.
As for doing 2-3 propertys a year - i wish - in my expirience by the time the effing solicitors have pulled thier fingers out you have to add 4 months to the project per house to sell and buy, so unless your cash flow is very good and you can buy 2 houses at the same time you'll be lucky to do 2 in a year - so far for the last 2 years i've only managed 2, but some of that was due to my solicitor poping his cloggs a few weeks before we completed - but that another story.

MJC - how do you finance these projects - don't want to pry -just interested  - the only way i've managed so far is re-mortgage to release equity - (which is bum clenching time). then business overdraft and business loan - but the loans will only go as high as 65% LTV, which makes cash flow very important.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2005, 7:39pm

[quote author=jenki  link=1121684043/0#8 date=1122361497]... Employers liability insurance... [/quote]

Small tip here. If you have set up a company with only you and a partner then you are the employers AND you don't have any employees. So are you going to sue yourself if something goes wrong?  Smiley And who's going to take you to court because you don't have ELI. Hint, it won't be the DTI. Unless someone else stipulates it, like another insurance company, then don't bother with ELI.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jenki
Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2005, 8:44am

[quote author=HandyJon  link=1121684043/0#9 date=1122403147]

Small tip here. If you have set up a company with only you and a partner then you are the employers AND you don't have any employees. So are you going to sue yourself if something goes wrong?  Smiley And who's going to take you to court because you don't have ELI. Hint, it won't be the DTI. Unless someone else stipulates it, like another insurance company, then don't bother with ELI. [/quote]
I just thought it was a legal requirement.. I always thought that if I fall out with the missus and she take me to the Cleaners via the divorce courts - i'll sue the arse off her as my employer Grin Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print