Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 5:20am
Quote: Spotted on the back of a T-shirt worn by a Bomb Squad official: "If you see me running, try to keep up!"

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Garage floor (Read 18562 times)
john59
GDPR opt-out

Re: Garage floor
Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2005, 12:26am

Ok guys, now for the roof, I am planning to have a flat roof put on to replace the asbestos sheets, how would "you "do it and take into consideration the insulation and how to tie it to the concrete sections of the garage walls.
Regards.
John.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2005, 7:21am

I wouldn't have a flat roof, nothing but trouble IMHO

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2005, 9:40am

Not easy to explain 'how to do it' without a three page post  Roll Eyes

There will be many website showing how to construct a flat roof.  The insulation must be continuous with the wall insulation (no gaps) or else you'll get cold spots where condensation can occur. Go for a 'warm roof' design as this avoids the need for cross ventilation. (warm roof = insulation on the top, just under the felt)

For felt, ensure the felter uses HT felt.  This will last minimum 20 years (maybe longer) if done properly.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2005, 12:02pm

Thanks JerryD
I found a couple of sites that explain in detail flat roof constuction and also this site for EPDM.

http://www.diyroofing.com/
Any thoughts on covering the roof with this stuff?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2005, 4:04pm

EPDM has had many bad reviews.  In addition, that web link you gave shows a headline price of £7.38 m² but if you read it further you cannot buy it for that price (as far as I can see). The cheapest method comes to £9.40 m² + vat (£11.05) + delivery.

The slightly thicker, self adhesive range costs nearly double @ £20.18 m² (inc vat but again + delivery)

Finishing the edges is always a problem, I've seen some awful diy attempts at this.

If I had a new flat roof deck to cover I would get a reputable firm in and insist on ht felt.

Fibreglass is another option.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2005, 5:51pm

Jerry, how about a trussed roof?

Wouldn't be that much more expensive, especially if John could roof it himself, and it could also allow for a bit more headroom?

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #23 - Aug 14th, 2005, 5:54pm

Well I'd go for a pitched roof every time.  Costs about double the flat roof method but lasts minimum 100 years (my last one did anyway  Tongue).

Walls have to be able to take the weight though...........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #24 - Aug 14th, 2005, 6:13pm

I think I will go with the felt roof method. I ave been given a price of £540 to joist board and felt the roof ,is this a fair estimate? I am in the northwest manchester area.
Woodsmith, I think I will go with your method with the floor, Thanks again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #25 - Aug 14th, 2005, 7:53pm

Iv'e just had a terrible thought! will the garage walls support a proper felt roof? what with the joists boards and felt, after all they are only concrete panels bolted together. Maybe I should contacy a manufacturer of sectional garages and ask them. If not then would building an inner skin with blocks be the answer.
Regards.
John

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2005, 9:39pm

I'm sure the sectional walls will support the roof...

"Everything you wanted to know about concrete garages, but didn't know who to ask."

http://www.garages-sheds.co.uk/what-you-should-know-about-concrete-garages.html

IP Logged

john59
Reply #27 - Aug 15th, 2005, 5:38pm

Thanks CWatters.
Iv'e had the roof guys around and they said it will hold, they even took me to one that they had done  and it looked fine.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #28 - Aug 15th, 2005, 7:23pm

Now stop talking about it and get on with it.  Grin

Please post piccys as you go, we'd like to see the progress  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Village_Idiot
Reply #29 - Aug 15th, 2005, 8:55pm

this is the stuff I'll be putting on my garage roof & they are only about an hr from the house

http://www.planwell.co.uk/

i don't know if there is a distributer near you

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #30 - Aug 16th, 2005, 4:57pm

Thanks for the link, but I will be using the garage  as a home cinema so it has to be  felt roof for warmth and sound insulation, if I was going to put my car in it then that stuff would be an option. Thanks anyway.
Regards.
John.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2005, 4:58pm by john59 »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #31 - Aug 20th, 2005, 7:42pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1123786176/0#7 date=1123827442]I'm not sure if you need to comply with building regs ??? it is not an habitable room so probably not. In which case you could lay 25mm Xtratherm or Kingspan, not sure if you can get 25mm Jablite. The Xtratherm is about £14 per 8x4 sheet. Then lay minimum 1000 gauge dpm over the insulation and 150mm up the walls; then lay 18mm t&g flooring chipboard, glueing all the joints and leaving a 10mm minimum expansion gap round the edge.

Hope this helps

Keith [/quote]

Ok back to the floor, (the roof is going on very soon)
Keith you said put the 25mm Xtratherm down first, but the concrete floor is quite rough could this damage the  Xtratherm when there is weight on it? If that is the case then what would you put down first.
Regards.
John.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #32 - Aug 21st, 2005, 8:49am

John, the floor does need to be reasonably flat and not too rough but you don't need to get the floor so smooth that the Extratherm never gets punctured.

If you have access to a laser then you could use that to check the floor, otherwise, when it is dark, put a torch on the floor as you shine it across it will show any low/high spots. If there are bits sticking proud of the floor get a hammer and bolster and knock them off.

If you think the floor is too bad to just put the Extratherm onto, you could use some self levelling compound, you would probably need a few bags.

I don't think the sort of insulation used under laminate will do you much good it is too thin and don't be tempted to put any felt, old carpet etc underneath, it will almost certainly smell in the long term and make the floor creak.

Keith

IP Logged

john59
Reply #33 - Aug 21st, 2005, 12:22pm

Thanks Keith.
Will do what you say regards knocking off proud bits (ooh err mississ  Shocked ) maytbe some self levelling compound would help as well.
Rgards.
John.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print