Quote: War does not determine who is right - only who is left

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flue positions (Read 19826 times)
spongebob
GDPR opt-out

Re: Flue positions
Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2005, 10:21pm

Still researching this issue. Have been to odpm web site. How can you assess a building for the lowest cost option for installing a condensing boiler yet ignore existing fitments or the owners wishes. I certainly don't want a boiler in any of my bedrooms as I'd lose valuable existing cupboard space and I imagine there would be additional costs in connecting up to existing pipe work. Where does this government get off saying that I don't have a say in what I do in my own home. If I was younger, I'd emigrate to somewhere with a more sympathetic government, like Zimbabwe or Iran!

IP Logged

spongebob
GDPR opt-out

Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2005, 11:29pm

I've read Approved Doc J. I've read the condensing boiler assessment procedure. Due to the type of property I have I think I'll be struggling to install a condenser. However I feel that the info I have gleaned will help me weed out the good from the bad when it comes to getting quotes. I'm going to bed now. I have a headache from all those regs. Don't know how you guys manage on a daily basis!

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2005, 11:32pm

spongebob.

Good news and bad news.

The new regs for condensing boilers have been re-worded  Grin

Wall terminals should be sited a minimum of  2.5m from a facing wall, fence, building or the property boundry

More restrictive requirements apply for a wall terminal that discharges over a public footpath.

e.g. a minimum height to the underside of the terminal of 2.1m.

for more information see.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_03...

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2005, 12:04am

scruff. I've read all that. I could get the height no problem. The issue now is the boundary matter and I'll have to make enquiries to clear that up. At the rear of the property the set up is as follows, back door, footpath, access road, communal lawned area. Although the local council do the grass cutting I'm almost certain that my boundary extends into it . It's all a bit of a pain really. One additional note. I e-mailed this info to a mate. He paid last year to have his conventional boiler moved from a bedroom into a out house. Now if he changes to a condenser he won't be able to use his drive without considerable flue extension. I've still got the head ache by the way.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2005, 12:22am

"I've read Approved Doc J. I've read the condensing boiler assessment procedure."

Please be clear that rules in the condensing boiler assessment procedure do not apply to the actual installation. Only doc. J applies, together with manufacturers Instructions. Figures given by scruff above are not applicable!

As you can see, it's all very confusing. If it's any consolation, we're all getting thoroughly pissed off with all the new regs., etc. It's just escalated beyond the threshold of what your average heating installer can cope with. End result will be more and more people saying "sod it" and ignoring it all. Well done John Prescott.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2005, 12:58am by chrishutt »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2005, 5:50pm

Quote:
I have I think I'll be struggling to install a condenser

Just curious... why is it harder to install a condensing boiler than a non-condensing boiler? The condensing gas boiler we have is quite small and there are no extra pipes or anything so I'm slightly confused as to why you think they are harder to fit in?

Perhaps I've missed something - I'm no expert!

IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2005, 10:58pm

Quote:
there are no extra pipes

Don't you have a condensate drain (white plastic) on your condensing boiler?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2005, 10:30am

Well now you've got me thinking. We don't have a pipe for the condensate. Humm I'm beginning to wonder if our boiler really is a condensing boiler!

It's a Bosch/Junkers Cerastar but I've only found limited  data for the model we have on the web...

In dutch it says...

In sommige ruimtes is het (bijna) onmogelijk om een luchttoevoerbuis te installeren. Een open toestel biedt dan uitkomst, mits er voldoende ventilatie is. Als u kiest voor de Bosch Junkers Cerastar hoeft u geen concessies te doen aan uw comfort. (verbeterd rendement uitvoering)

Which  I think says...

In some spaces it is (almost) impossible install a ventilation pipe (condensate pipe?). An open appliance brings then help, provided that there is sufficient ventilation. If you choose you no do concessions to your comfort for the bosch Junkers Cerastar must. (improved output implementation)

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 10:42am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

chrishutt
Trade Member

What is YaBB 1G - SP1?

Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2005, 7:23pm

Well translated! But they're talking about the air inlet duct to the boiler, which is not required if an open flue appliance is used. Nothing about condensate pipes. If it doesn't have a condensate drain, it ain't a condenser!

8.13 pm - just done some research. I'm almost certain that the Cerastar is not a condensing boiler (brennwertgeraete in German). If you were sold it as a condenser you've been conned.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 8:17pm by chrishutt »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print