Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 4th, 2024, 8:03pm
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Workload for a Novice (Read 10469 times)
theswimmerswimming

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Workload for a Novice
Sep 7th, 2005, 1:32pm

Hi everyone.

I am a novice DIYer.  I am currently considering having a two storey extension built on my house and wondered how much if any of the work I could do to save my very small budget.

For example could I dig and lay the foundations.  I am at the very start of this so I know I would need planning permission, but want to know if there are cuts I can make so that I could afford to go ahead)

any comments would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Adrian

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Workload for a Novice
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2005, 7:17pm

My advice would be to leave the major works to a professional builder.  If you're short of money then just get the shell built (i.e. totally finished externally, windows and glass in, sealed up) but don't have anything done internally.

You can then diy at your leisure.

btw foundations can be a nightmare if you're inexperienced, cock that up and the rest is a waste of time.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

theswimmerswimming

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005, 9:16am

Thanks for the feed back.  

I wasn't really thinking of doing anything technical.  If you say I'm being a bit simplistic about the foundations (I thought it was bascally dig some big holes and partially fill with the right mix), are there any other jobs I could do.  I guess I am wondering does anybody go out to a job where the home owner skivies for you, and if so how much does this really save?

Kind regards

Adrian

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

theswimmerswimming

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2005, 9:36am

Sorry One more quick question if possible

I have read on this sight that as a budget figure you can look at about £1000 per sq metre.  If it was a shell build as you suggested, what would be a more reasonable figure

Kind regards

Adrian

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2005, 7:06pm

£1,000 per sq m is very simplistic, don't start thinking that's a quotation!

For shell only you could probably say that's about 70% of the cost of a finished structure.

btw, when ever a customer of mine has 'helped' it has been a flaming nuisance.  Doesn't save a penny as the builder will be geared up to do his job as usual and your presence will be of little value to him.  Health and Safety issues as well, have you got insurance?  The builders Public Liability and Employers Liability Insurance will not cover you.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005, 7:09pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2005, 8:30pm

When I was younger and even more foolish than now I had an extension built.  I agreed with the builders that I would dig out the foundations [not helped by my mother in law sweeping muck back into the excavation as soon as I shovelled it out.  She really came close to being part of those foundations:-)], lay the concrete for the foundations and also the over site concrete.  This was done with much discussion wth a very friendly local council Builiding inspector.  Laying the foundations was a major effort using as I did a concrete mixer.  I still recall to my shame taking advantage of a work colleague who, in passing, offered to help me.  He had not realised that I had borrowed large industrial lights which allowed me to work into the darkness (no not the group).  He finally got away at about 10-30 as knackered as was I.  Forever after he walked the other way Grin

I did all the fitting out, resiting boiler, plumbing, electrical work etc., other than the plastering - oh how simple and dangerous, was life before Part P and CORGI.  I still go cold at the sight of that little blue flame disappearing down the pipe on its way towards the gas meter (turmed off I may add).

The extension still stands 35+ years on.

But I agree with Jerry D - do the fun stuff and leave the digging, cementation, gas and electrical to the pro's.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005, 8:31pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2005, 9:54pm

[quote author=Bayden_Rank  link=1126096360/0#5 date=1126207808]

But I agree with Jerry D - do the fun stuff..........................

[/quote]

er....... which bit's that then? Undecided Undecided Undecided

Grin Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2005, 5:57pm

Quote:
er....... which bit's that then?

The bit at the end that involves levering the cap off before applying bottle to mouth  Smiley

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2005, 9:28pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1126096360/0#7 date=1126285037]

The bit at the end that involves levering the cap off before applying bottle to mouth  Smiley [/quote]

LOL  Grin

I'll drink to that  Grin

Hic  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2006, 11:56pm

As a novice who has an extension to start this year you are doing my morale a whole lot of no-good!!

However, thanks in part to this website the house has been wired, plumbed, plastered (badly, in some places, and surprisingly well in others), has a new fire back and surround in the lounge and laminate flooring throughout on part new floorboarding.

I think my current answer to 'what workload for a novice' is anything, given some experience, correct advice, suitable forward planning and a sympathetic building inspector - and a helpful website!!

John Davies

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2006, 12:10am

And i think i can speak for ALL the ATT trades people, in saying it is posts in threads such as yours  JohnD which makes us glad to have helped people out with "sound" and good advise! even if it is not always the answer/s you had hoped for..... but the jobs are done, and SAFETLY done to boot!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2006, 12:16am

JD, and Theswimmerswimming(TSS) i have a local little builder mate, who when the client/customer asks what can i do to save money, actually has a small meeting with them (once the contract is signed/agreed upon!!) and will nominate SAFE jobs the home owner can actually do for him! this way, not only does the client/owner feel helpful, some of the work has been done at the weekends ready to start off on the following monday, and also the client/homeowner save a bit of their hard earned cash too!!!  and i don't just mean the tea's JD....

and as for the insurance, check to make sure your own (TSS) policy , has a good liabilities clause that will cover your good self when work starts!!! as well as checking the builder you have agreed upon has Public liability insurance too!!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2006, 12:20am

and other point which can be very helpfull TSS, if you get on with the next doors, make sure you keep them up to date and informed of any major noises etc etc , as smoothing the way forward BEFORE work begins can really be a god send!!!  have got one job at the mo, where main contractor/builder is not allowed to enter next doors , and has been having to work over hand, due to a tiff between client and neighbour due to the extension going up!!  ??? ???

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2006, 6:54am

As a little tip to anyone employing a builder to do an extension for them, here's what we expect (hope for) on the day we start:

1) All your cars parked well out of the way, preferably not in the driveway.

2) Work area totally clear.  How often have I turned up to start a job and the work area is covered in kids bikes, garden furniture, barbeque, hundreds of pot plants, washing line full of clothes, wheelie bins, that shed you promised would be gone, rabbit hutch etc etc.....

3) Please be out of bed and able to answer the front door!

4) Please have someone available to advise us where we can get water and power.

5) Don't invite relatives to stay in the new bedrooms we are building you - telling us they're coming in three weeks......

I'll add more as I think of them  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2006, 10:14am

A couple more

6. Let the builders get on with the job, don't keep talking to them, but supply regular cups of tea.

7. Decide on exactly what you want before work starts, try not to change anything part way through.

IP Logged

JohnD
Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2006, 1:45am

Couldn't agree more - in my experience many profesionals will quite happily divide up a job so that DIY'ers can save themselves a bob or two, as long is it is very clear who is doing what. Clearing the site beforehand, plastering, decoration, restoring gardens and turfing afterwards and indeed digging the odd hole can save time and money.  Just don't get under a professionals feet...............A friend of mine let me do all the central heating plumbing in our house,  supplied and fitted the boiler himself and commissioned and tested the system for me.  Friend or not, he downed tools every time I entered (which I did only once or twice) and only picked them up as I left - he can't bear being watched while he is working.  Neither can I, so that's alright!

Bets of luck with the building scheme.    

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2006, 1:08am

I built a two story extension on the back.

Done the lot from drawing the plans and getting them approved, to digging the footings, concreting, building the wall, and cutting and pitching an T shape roof over the new extension and the old house.

Inside I did all the plastering, wiring and plumbing.

26 years and still standing  8) 8)

26years and still not finished either  Grin Grin

blame the health now, not done a thing for the last 12 years  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print