Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 18th, 2024, 4:38pm
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which Laser printer??? (Read 10038 times)
blackcountry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Which Laser printer???
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:26pm

Hello guys. I'm looking to buy a new laser printer. Will be mainly used for text and the odd picture, so probably want a colour one. Any recommendations, I've been looking on  the web all morning, theres tons of different models out there, and don't know how good they are. If anyone can give me any advice from their own experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Which Laser printer???
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:24pm

Might be worth a post over on the comp.periphs.printers newsgroup

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:11pm

I would have a good think about the colour requirement, it puts the price of the printer ans consumables up considerably.

You might well be better with a mono laser and a photo inkjet.

best buys depend on how much you use it.  check what service items are needed.  Lasers dont just need toner, some need new drums, etc at quite low volumes.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

blackcountry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:31pm

I hear what your saying MarkS- as I said the printer will be used mainly for text. Have you got any suggestions for a goog mono??

CWatters is that a website?? Have you got a link.

Also I forgot to mention in my original post, these multifunction, i.e. printer/copier/scanner seem to be quite popular. Are they any good??
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:33pm by blackcountry »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2005, 1:01am

Was looking at laser printers myself recently, the thing you need to watch out for is the price for the consumables, even more so for a colour, toner & drums.

I ended up buying an all-in-one, consumables much cheaper, print quality could be arguably better than a laser.

You could use a mono laser and an inket for you're colour parts but this involves taking up more space (which is gold these days), and also messing about with you're documents.

IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2005, 12:46pm

[quote author=LSpark  link=1128338770/0#4 date=1128384080]I ended up buying an all-in-one, consumables much cheaper, print quality could be arguably better than a laser. [/quote]

Well, a very weak argument maybe. Wink

[quote author=LSpark  link=1128338770/0#4 date=1128384080]and also messing about with you're documents. [/quote]

??? I have a mono laser, (2 actually), and a colour inkjet. I don't have to do any messing about with documents. I press print, select a printer and out it comes. Not quite sure what your doing your end to complicate it.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 12:46pm by Lurch »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2005, 5:43pm

[quote author=Lurch  link=1128338770/0#5 date=1128426388]

Well, a very weak argument maybe. Wink [/quote]
lol, well that would depend on what laser you had lurch  Grin

Quote:
??? I have a mono laser, (2 actually), and a colour inkjet. I don't have to do any messing about with documents. I press print, select a printer and out it comes. Not quite sure what your doing your end to complicate it.

Not quite what I meant, say you have mixed text/colour graphics, then you may have two documents to split them up and print black first, then put the page in the colour to print that part, if you get my drift, in any case it's easier to have a colour laser/inkjet if you have documents with both same page.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2005, 6:03pm

I like the HP A3 color laser....can't remember the model....several business here have them, they are the bollox!!  I email many a poster to them for printing Tongue

I have an HP PSC950 all in one, inkjet.

Quality of print is great, very quick, photo-copies, faxes.  Never let me down.  Cheap ink.

I did have a laser mono, sold it on ebay after 2 yrs, as it cost sooooo much compared to ink jets!!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2005, 9:22pm

[quote author=LSpark  link=1128338770/0#6 date=1128444204]
Not quite what I meant, say you have mixed text/colour graphics, then you may have two documents to split them up and print black first, then put the page in the colour to print that part, if you get my drift, in any case it's easier to have a colour laser/inkjet if you have documents with both same page. [/quote]

Ah, I see what you mean. I can't be bothered with all that, but to do it properly then it could be a pain. Depends on costings really and the amount of use you are going to give it. I hardly print any colour so it's not really an issue.

My laser printer is an old HP LaserJet 4+ with JetDirect card. It came from a clients office, I've had it for 2-3 years and I haven't put any toner in it yet. For me, it is astounding economy (£0, for those at the back).

I'm surpried that Lec found it uneconomical in only 2 years, it must have been a right bag of crap. Wasn't that one you bought on eBay for a tenner was it. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2005, 10:24pm

I used to have a Panasonic mono laser back in the old days.  This thing cost me £1,300 + vat  Shocked

The print quality was excellent though, and it was fast.

However toner kits were about £70 + vat and I needed this about every 8 - 10 months.  After about 6 - 7 years use it started to show imperfections in the print and this was diagnosed as needing a new drum.

Cost?  Hmmmm, from memory about £300 + vat  Sad

That was when I bought my first colour inkjet (HP) and I've never looked back.

Nowadays though you can get excellent mono lasers for the price of a good night out  Roll Eyes but it's the running costs that worry me.

Look in PC Pro magazine at their 'A' list products, they will tell you their favourite.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2005, 10:27pm

Hey, I've just done the PC Pro search for you, here are their favourites:

Colour office laser: Kyocera Mita FS-C5020N
Workhouse office laser: HP LaserJet 4350dtn

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

blackcountry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2005, 12:09am

Thanks for the replies guys.

Lurch- so you don't reckon these multifunction machines are upto much. Had a suspicion that this may be the case, if the manufaturers are gonna squeeze 3 different things into 1, i suppose that performance is comprimised.

JD thank you for going to the trouble of doing the search for me. Just done a quick search on the net for the HP 4350dtn, it retails at around the £1500 mark!! this is just a little too much for me.

Following your advice I've now deided to go for a monochrome laser printer. The printer will be for home use- so cant really justify spending big bucks on a office jobbie. I'm gonna hunt around the net and do some more research, let u guys know how i get on. Until then any further advice will be appreciated.

cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2005, 1:05am

[quote author=blackcountry  link=1128338770/0#11 date=1128467367]Lurch- so you don't reckon these multifunction machines are upto much. Had a suspicion that this may be the case, if the manufaturers are gonna squeeze 3 different things into 1, i suppose that performance is comprimised. [/quote]

There is a bit of that but they're 'OK'..... just. I always try and keep things seperate otherwise you end up with a minor fault losing you several machines and costing you more to repair\replace. They're OK for what they're designed for, space saving, but if you have the space then don't bother with one. Most people don't need a multifunction anyway, they do print, copy, scan and some do fax. My scanner and any printer will do colour or mono copies, my fax number sends all the ones I recieve to email and I haven't sent a fax for years.

If you have the space I would get a decent mono laser for general printing and a cheap colour inkjet for the odd bit of colour printing you need. Just bin it if it goes tits up in 12 Months and buy anither for the same price as a set of cartridges.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2005, 8:18am

I have an hp laserjet 4N (with the network built in) aquired from a client for £50 years ago, Ive replaced the toner once at £60.

I have an epson 1290 A3 photo inkjet, bought new for £300, inks are £30 a shot (its a single cartridge with 5 colours in it)  If I didnt need A3 I would buy any of the epson/cannon/hp £60 injets.  Its on usb because I couldnt get the supplied software working reliably over a print server.

Colour lasers started at £400 last time I looked, so I guess they must be £250 by now ?

cheap Mono lasers must be under £100 ?

I would check www.aria.co.uk and www.scan.co.uk for prices.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2005, 10:45pm

[quote author=blackcountry  link=1128338770/0#11 date=1128467367]if the manufaturers are gonna squeeze 3 different things into 1, i suppose that performance is comprimised. [/quote]
Don't count on it, get a proper all-in-one, not a cheap one, and you won't look back..

Quote:
Following your advice I've now deided to go for a monochrome laser printer

Let us know which one you end up going for, lexmark have some pretty good value ones out, can't comment on their performance tho.

[quote author=Lurch  link=1128338770/0#12 date=1128470737]
If you have the space I would get a decent mono laser for general printing and a cheap colour inkjet for the odd bit of colour printing you need. Just bin it if it goes tits up in 12 Months and buy anither for the same price as a set of cartridges. [/quote]
Yea can't fault that, some one reccomended the same when I was changing mine, but my scanner wasnt up to much so I made a U-Turn and haven't looked back.

[quote author=MarkS  link=1128338770/0#13 date=1128496709]Its on usb because I couldnt get the supplied software working reliably over a print server. [/quote]
Had the same problem before I changed my printer, I hear it's common that they cause trouble.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005, 10:53pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2005, 7:26am

[quote author=LSpark  link=1128338770/0#14 date=1128548757]lexmark have some pretty good value ones out, can't comment on their performance tho. [/quote]

I've used\fitted a few of the Lexmark larger laser printers (T520 or something, can't remember atm, got a job on that's got that aprt numbers for PC's, phones and other stuff going through my head I can't even tell the time!), and they have been good vfm. Personally, I'd go for something else, HP probably, but I have no complaints about the Lexmark lasers.

On the print server front, I don't generally use USB (unless it's a cheap USB only printer) and either use a network print server or network card in the printer. I don't use the software with network printers as it causes hassle on some printers, generally everything works fine if just used as a printer with some drivers and no software installed specifically.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2005, 12:52am

Sorry to hear about that, sounds like you have the symptoms for information overload disorder  Grin

Using USB was so much more reliable for my printer and easier than messing about with print server software IPs etc, although I haven't tried the new printer here on the network (it's got built in wired & wireless networking), maybe one day.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005, 12:53am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print