Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 11:13am
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Lock Jigs (Read 16720 times)
ruffnek
GDPR opt-out

Lock Jigs
Jan 8th, 2006, 6:01pm

I was wondering what you guys think about lock jigs.  

I got the trend t-tech perspex jig from bnq.  I like the idea of it until i realised that to use this i would have to purchase a trend unibase so my 625ek would accept the trend 30mm guide bush.  

Now I have the sub base attached I dont have the full plunge capability to mortice a lock.  I still have to revert to the drill/chisel??!!

The idea is great but it seems pointless when you have to revert to original method.

Rant Over

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Lock Jigs
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2006, 8:08pm

How old is your DW625EK, as you should not need a sub base for it!!! my 625's are both compatible with all trend gear!!?? and when you bought your 625, did it not come with a 30mm guide bush!! as it used to a few years ago!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2006, 8:40pm

I've just bought a DW625EK and it came with a 30mm guide bush Undecided

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2006, 9:08pm

Evening young WS me lad!!!, that is exactly what i am talking about, when Dewalt were Elu etc etc, the bushes/ guides/ accessories that Trend made, were all based upon the then "unofficial" standards of bases set by ELU, which is why i quiery the dewalt needing a 30mm bush and or a uni base!!,
      for speed and cheapness(and throw-ability if damaged) i use the plastic trend guide bush sets (odds/evens) which are about £15-20 a set for site duty!! and they screw right to the base of my 615,621 and  625 dDewalts, even my little power devil will take them !!! ???

a beasty them thar 625's are they not??
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2006, 9:08pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2006, 8:16am

Morning Wolf, beast they are Wink

I got another just to use it with a Leigh FMT, its building up the muscles nicely Grin

IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2006, 10:15am

The 30mm guide bush supplied with 625 was too deep to use with t-tech jig.  But the jig came with its own dedicated more shallow trend 30mm bush.  I couldnt get the trend bush to fit so i had to get the unibase.  Perhaps i should have looked into this a bit further before i purchased!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2006, 2:47pm

Hi ruffnek, i have just this minute checked out the Dewalt web site/service dept, and the details for both the old and new versions of the 625EK are identical part No;s for both base plates, and also the 2 guide bushes,
however, now you mention the trouble with the DW guide bush is that it seems to deep, when i was having a similar prolem witha jig, all i did was to file the depth of the bush down, while screwed to a piece of timber, DO NOT do this while the bush is on the machine, the swarf/filings will end up in the motor, not good for the machine
  when i am down my DW suppliers next i will have to have a look in to this "problem" regards the trend bushes !!!!!

IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2006, 6:44pm

The older Elus had a guide bush holder which worked with a steel tube guide, which just happened to 30mm diameter. Depth of guide bush easy to adjust, just loosen collar and slide up/down (the re-centre!). Still have a MOF177e. Lovely machine.

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2006, 8:19pm

yep! 110% agree with you there!!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2006, 1:32pm

Ruffnek, have looked at the new TRend jig, and the bush is deifnately thinner, due to the fact the new jigs/templates they make, are not as robust as the older ones, a lot are now made from plexiglass/lexan sheet type material, even metal in some cases!, as i had my 625EK with me, i "borrowed a Trend "slim" GB, and it fitted with no real probs,   so i dont know if they have sold you a modified machine!!,   your 625, it does state uk, or germany made onit , and NOT the USA!!! by chance!!?? as i know their router bases ARE different!!!

IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2006, 7:33pm

how do i insert photos to show the router base? they are in photobucket?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2006, 1:06am

i will go along with that one, all this mod-urn tek-no-low- gee , aw! it above me!!   i finks i will stick to wood, pva  or even pu's good!!!  or even gorilla glue......

come on lads , give 2 of us a helping hand here!!

IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2006, 9:47am

OK, then. To insert simply take the Img address from below your photgraph in Photobucket and copy it into the body of your text. This is a CNC router:

Easy peasy

Scrit
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 9:47am by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2006, 10:08am

I've written a quick guide to adding pictures. Its in the Stickys at the top of this section.

Keith
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006, 10:09am by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2006, 1:12pm

Afternoon lads

Right hpoefully this will work - ive attches images to this post as described by scrit.

Uni base attched with trend bush

Bare base with 625 bush in place

Trend bush on top of 625 bush to show the size difference

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2006, 1:13pm

It WORKS MINT!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2006, 7:15pm

It works as in the pictures have uploaded.

Wolf: I purched my dw625ek at Black and Decker Factory shop in Durham, as a class 2 recon.  Basicly there was nothing wrong with it but still rcvd a service etc.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2006, 11:52pm

I have not forgotten you Ruffnek, i will give you a definative answer tomorrow afternoon, after i have checked out my router collection, and the info i got in e-mail form earlier today!, have just been a bit ultra busy today as such!!! 8)

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2006, 9:18pm

said i would reply tonight, and i have, right, i have taken my 625 out of its set up, and examined the base plate, took apart the jig etc... and i found this item.....

this is a Leigh dove tail adapter..... which can be bought seperately, and it fits inside the opening on the router, so when in place it is JUST BELOW, the base plate level to my 625, so you are NOT losing any depth of cut !!!!
and as you can see from the second picture, the trend Bushes are a perfect fit for it!!

for the DW625E/EK you need adapter No: 702R NOT the 702  it must have the "R" tofollow the numbers, or it does not fit!!  it also centres the guide bushes!!
will find a supplier if interested!!

so that is why all my trend gear fits !!!! oh well!!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2006, 9:56am

Ruffnik, i have done some more digging in regards to the Trend guide bushes, and bare in mind that the "NEW" Trend routers are based on the 625EK , then all you need to do is find out which of the "INNER PLATES" fits the 625!!

all the new Trend routers use an "INNER PLATE CENTRE RING"  as trend call them for fitting the guide bush to, and they are available for a small sum of £4.50 plus the vat!!!  not sure which is the exact match for the 625 yet,  either the  WP-T10/075 or the WP-T9/075 but they are available as spare parts!!!!  
just seems funny that to make a DW based router a TREND COMPATABLE, they have had to use a plate similar to the Leigh  dovetail jig adapter!!!!

if you want i can find out which INNER PLATE fits!!! let me know!!!!

IP Logged

ruffnek
Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2006, 11:04pm

wolf you a a bloody star!  Can you advise on the adapter plate - excuse me i is a wee bit woorse for wear!

At least i know im not going mad!  How come the trend base is different to the dw base when they come out the same factory?

Anyone got a cmt router and can advise on the base? just oot of interest?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2006, 11:41pm

The CMT and Trend router bases are cast in  the same factory/foundry, BUT the DW ones are not!!!!
and i will find out which INNER plate fits!!!  should be Monday that i will have an answer!! OK.....

HIC!    HIC!    enjoy your self!! HIC!
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006, 11:41pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2006, 6:31pm

sorry to keep you waiting dear chap, but it seems like my supplier has not got the new Trend bits in until later this week, when i have them in my sweaty little mitt, i will advise accordingly!!!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #23 - Jan 26th, 2006, 3:19pm

Right then, the INNER PLATE you should get for the DW625 is the one for the T10 Trend router, as this shares the same base dims, as the DW625E/EK   which is   WP-T10/075.. there we go sorted dear chap!! 8)

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2006, 10:09pm

Ruffnek, have had a chance to use the new TREND insert piece, and it works a treat!!! total cost to me was £5 inc vat!!!!! takes ALL the new Trend stuff.... if you want a piccy of it, let me know!!!!

IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #25 - Feb 5th, 2006, 11:03am

Hi all, Smiley
My first post, before I start can I just say what a great site this is (that should guarantee replies)
Iv'e been reading this topic with interest, i'm just in the process of setting up for lock (and hinge) routing, not really botherd about routing for the body of the lock just the faceplate, so I bought a bosch gof 900, now I find the funny bayonet system bosch use dosn't include a 16mm guide bush which a lot of lock jigs seem to need. Does anyone know if it's possible to get an insert plate for the bosch to take the trend bushes without going for the unibase.
When I learn how to put piccy's up (i'm a bit thick teccy wise) i'll post a pic of my home made hinge jig, just does single hinges but works well if a bit slow. I don't do pricework anymore so speeds not important Wink

The wife and I have a give and take relationship....................I give and she takes!!!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2006, 11:34am

Hi CM welcome to the forum, sorry can't help you with your Bosch problem, hopefully someone else will have used one.

There is a guide to posting pictures here and if you are trade and want to join there is an extensive trade forum.

Keith
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 5:09pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #27 - Feb 5th, 2006, 11:45am

Hi ChippyMal

Bosch do a 17mm guide bush (2 609 200 139). Would it not be possible to use that in conjunction with a cutter 1mm greater in diameter than the one you'd have to use with a 16mm guide bush? That way you'd get the same offset between the tool and the guide bush.

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2006, 12:30pm

Thanks for quick replies,
I did look at using 17mm guide bush, but wouldn't cutter need to be half a mil bigger  @13.2mm !!
Another reason for wanting to fit trend bushes is I already have several for my 240v router, I just can't use it on site as it's 110 only, iv'e just been on trend site and can't see anything suitable,  although they have a nice lock jig that uses 30mm bush @£90 with the dreaded vat, and me being a tight sod looks like the sub base is only option....... unless... has anyone tried using 240v router on 110v?

The wife and I have a give and take relationship....................I give and she takes!!!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #29 - Feb 5th, 2006, 12:42pm

for 240v on site you have to check with the main contractors HSE list, the reason behind this is because, contrary to popular belief, 240v IS allowed on site, providing the following rule/regs are observed!!!!
1) all std plugs MUST be replaced with Blue plugs/sockets, just like the ones on 110v, but being 240 and blue, the pins are layed out differently within!!

this is to stop general water/moisture ingress to socket/plug!!

2) all 240 leads must terminate in an RCD device ..
so in theory, 240v power tool plugs into, Blue socket on BLUE pluged/socketed  extension lead, which in turn has an RCD PLUG fitted directly to the wall socket end!!!!  NO plug in to RCD into wall socket...
i have had this conversation on a few occasions with HSE, and it is quite legit, you just have to make sure any safety guide lines by the main contractor "allow it" as some still refuse to incorperate this into their own particular codes of practice!!!!

this all came about due to the EU wanting to allow europeans to be able to work on our sites when and where they liked, bringing their own power tools with them!!
and as for using 240 on 110v, just DON'T EVEN TRY GOING THERE!!!!!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2006, 12:44pm

Do you also have a piccy of the base to the 900 Bosch router you could post, so i can see if one of the many base inners would fit!!! ???

IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2006, 3:45pm

[quote author=ChippyMal  link=1136743299/15#28 date=1139142657]I did look at using 17mm guide bush, but wouldn't cutter need to be half a mil bigger  @13.2mm !! [/quote]
If the guide bush is 1mm bigger then the cutter needs to be 1mm bigger, too. If you are using a 1/2in (12.7mm) cutter in conjunction with a 5/8in (15.9mm) guide bush the distance from the cutting edge to the outside of the guide bush is 15.9 - 12.7 / 2 = 1.6mm. Therefore your guide bush needs to be 2 x 1.6mm (3.2mm) bigger than any cutter you use, or the cutter 3.2mm smaller, it's the same difference. A 17mm GB would require a 17 - 3.2mm = 13.8mm cutter, but as cutters vary somewhat in their exact diameters (Trend especially) you would probably find that a 14mm metric cutter would be near enough in this application (especially after it had been out to the sharpeners a couple of times). I just find it odd that Trend, etc use 16mm or 5/8in when European standards are 17mm.

[quote author=ChippyMal  link=1136743299/15#28 date=1139142657]Another reason for wanting to fit Trend bushes is I already have several for my 240v router, I just can't use it on site as it's 110 only, iv'e just been on trend site and can't see anything suitable [/quote]
What about using a Trend Unibase (about £13+VAT) on your existing router? I'm familiar with the problems caused by the Bosch  bayonet system (I have a GOF900ACE, too) - they won't take anyone elses guide bushes. Aren't even drilled on the underside.

[quote author=ChippyMal  link=1136743299/15#28 date=1139142657]...has anyone tried using 240v router on 110v?   [/quote]
As Wolf said - don't even go there   Lips Sealed

Regards

Scrit
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:49pm by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2006, 3:57pm

Thanks again for quick replies.
I can maybe sort a piccy out tomorrow, router is at work in Peterborough, i'm in Lincoln 60 miles away, the footy's on in 5 mins or i'd nip and get it  Smiley

Your right Scrit sorry about that, having a blonde moment (even though i'm nearly bald)

In the meantime I had a look on Axminsters site, they have adapters for the bosch to take threaded bushes, so I might go down that route.

Mal

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #33 - Feb 6th, 2006, 1:01am

Hi Mal

The APTC guide should work - only downer is that theb threaded guided bushes are generally non-metric in the UK. Any ideas, Wolf?

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2006, 12:20am

As previously stated Scrit, i do really need to see the underside of the routerfor some sort of idea, in which direction to actually go...
the uni base IS a good idea, IF you have cutters which have a long enough body, not shank!!! because even though it states 8mm thick, yes, maybe so , add the GB thickness on as well and the depth lost is increasing all the time, and as for the threaded bushings... (as per usual, the Yanks do it again, get a problem, and what do they do, SOLVE IT!!!!!! ) as for the fact the Gb's are imperial, if like me , i prefer to work in real measurements!!! ( then it should not be a problem, as most people do have metric/imperial conversion charts handy!!but like i say, get me a piccy and there may be an inner!!!!

IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Reply #35 - Feb 7th, 2006, 9:50pm

Hi Scrit/Wolf
Sorry iv'e not been back for a couple of days, busy at work (unusual for me Wink)² I did take a couple of piccys of base but they are as clear as mud, if you can bear with me I will remove the gizmo that fits to the base and holds the bayonet bushes and take a photo of that. I would imagine any guide bush adapter would have to be fitted in place of it, it does fit from the top of the router base with 2 screws (hope that makes sense).
I suppose a unibase would be an easier option, restricted cutting depth not really a problem cos I would only be using for faceplate routing, lock body i'd do with an auger as 900w router not up to it. On the loss of depth issue, is it possible to remove existing baseplate (about 4mm) and then fix unibase?

Mal

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #36 - Feb 7th, 2006, 10:35pm

[quote author=ChippyMal  link=1136743299/30#35 date=1139349057]On the loss of depth issue, is it possible to remove existing baseplate (about 4mm) and then fix unibase? [/quote]
I reckon so. The plastic sub-base that Bosch use is particuraly thick against the Elu/DW phenolic plastic type.

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Reply #37 - Feb 11th, 2006, 8:11pm

I went for the unibase, I found a £10 b&q voucher left over from christmas (hope it was mine) so it only cost me a fiver, can't say I'm too impressed with it, the bolts stick through and foul the chip guard, I know I can cut them off but I just like to moan. At least it gets me sorted, just got to find lock and hinge jigs and i'm away.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Mal

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print