Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 6:54am
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
kitchen worktops (Read 10101 times)
runninwata
GDPR opt-out

kitchen worktops
Feb 18th, 2006, 3:57pm

Guys,
what are your thoughts on laminate worktops with a gloss finish?

Are they practical in a modern kitchen which is quite heavily used.

My thoughts were always that they were quite easily marked, scratched etc and after a couple of years they dont keep that well?? am i right in thinking this or still mis informed??

any comment good bad or indifferent welcomed!!

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: kitchen worktops
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2006, 4:09pm

They look pikey!  Roll Eyes

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2006, 4:19pm

High gloss worktops scratch verrrrry easily!

Ok if your very careful and dont drag things over them.

But as you say the kitchen is in heavy use i wouldn't bother.

Is it a domestic kitchen??
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006, 4:20pm by Chaddy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2006, 4:34pm

[quote author=runninwata  link=1140278241/0#0 date=1140278240]What are your thoughts on laminate worktops with a gloss finish? [/quote]
Unprintable!  Lips Sealed

They mark like crazy. So bad that even the tiler can end up screwing them up for you......  They don't wear anywhere near as well as standard tops and they show every drip and streak. They do look good if you're trying to sell, though.

Conculsion: AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Scrit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2006, 4:49pm

hate to go against the grain here fella's, but if the customer wants glossy!, buy the quality worktops!, and i don't mean these cheapy ones, anything under about £200 for a 3m length is gonna be cr@p!!! from a merchant near me, they only "offer" and supply one SWEDISH brand of gloss lam, and it is bloody tough stuff, got a 6 yr warranty on the finish!!!! and i have yet to damage my sample piece, use it as a coaster in the workshop, and wipes clean each time!!!

like i said in the middle of the above post, MOST ARE CR@P!! and Hammy, if i want a pikey look, i'd just Varn@#h it!!! LOL Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2006, 5:29pm

wolf u got a link for this brand?? seems a bit pricey but hey its for me old man!! hecan afford it lol

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2006, 6:16pm

yeh chaddy it is a domestic kitchen i dont want it lookin crap after a couple of years with scratches etc if you spend a good whack on the carcases etc you dont want the tops letting it down.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006, 6:22pm

What's wrong with Corian?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2006, 6:55pm

[quote author=runninwata  link=1140278241/0#6 date=1140286566]yeh chaddy it is a domestic kitchen i dont want it lookin crap after a couple of years with scratches etc if you spend a good whack on the carcases etc you dont want the tops letting it down. [/quote]

Like Wolf says then, you got to spend the money. You get what you pay for  Grin

Or like Jerry suggests go for a solid surface like Corian

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2006, 7:52pm

aint corian a hassle to fit ?? i thought that was major expensive as well!? Shocked Shocked
The carcases are from John lewis so its a mid price range kitchen i know you get what you  pay for but i dont want the work surfaces working out dearer than the units Grin  but i still want it to look good in a few years  ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2006, 9:21pm

Corian is more expensive than laminate. Angry

If I were you i'd stick with a laminate worktop.

Cant go far wrong with a std or satin top.

Good wear and won't show every little mark. Also comparatively cheap.

Obviously there are different grades/qualities of worktop. It would be worth your while visiting a worktop showroom to check out the differeces in quality and price.

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006, 9:23pm by Chaddy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2006, 10:25pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1140278241/0#7 date=1140286922]What's wrong with Corian? [/quote]
You can't get a polished finish on it (normal finish on solid surface is around 320 grit) and it's more expensive that granite. I'm certd. to do some solid surface stuff and some of the alternatives like I'ro, Minerelle and Schock (inventors of Corian for DuPont) are better value as well as less fussy to work. Corian isn't a problem, getting on their distribution list is. If yoou've not done their training course and gained certification they simply won't sell to you. Period.

Sorry Wolf, but the only high gloss finish I know of which is durable is glass. And that comes with a different set of issues. If the customer insists on a high gloss worktop, then fine, they can have what they want. I feel it's just fair to point out the downside, that's all. My problem with high gloss is stopping the flamin' tiler from screwing it up before the customer ever sees it  Roll Eyes  I'd be interested to see this Swedish stuff, though. Best composite high gloss I've seen to date was Duropal, but I doubt that that will last, either, despite it being about the best composite you can get (not that I'm biased, oh no!)

Scrit
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2006, 10:38pm by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2006, 8:24pm

>.Sorry Wolf, but the only high gloss finish I know of which is durable is glass. <
Ceramic tiles ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006, 9:23pm

[quote author=Twobarrows  link=1140278241/0#12 date=1140380690]>.Sorry Wolf, but the only high gloss finish I know of which is durable is glass. <
Ceramic tiles ? [/quote]
Maybe - if you don't mind the grout  Tongue - which isn't high gloss and is VERY old hat these days  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:16am

[quote author=Scrit  link=1140278241/0#13 date=1140384196]
VERY old hat these days  Grin
[/quote]
Yeah, but looks good with the cork floor, artexed ceiling & avocado bathroom suite Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:25pm

[quote author=Twobarrows  link=1140278241/0#14 date=1140693404]
Yeah, but looks good with the cork floor, artexed ceiling & avocado bathroom suite Smiley
[/quote]
Look I know that "Life on Mars" is on the telly, but I didn't realise the retro thing had spread to kitchens too...... Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:31pm

eh wtf is wrong with my advocado suite Roll Eyes Roll Eyes has a jacuzzi bath as well Grin Grin and my artex is cool is that shell shapes lol Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:31pm

[quote author=runninwata  link=1140278241/15#16 date=1140723076]eh wtf is wrong with my advocado suite? [/quote]
Ah, but it's only cool if you have the matching his'n'hers shell suits!  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006, 7:51am by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:03pm

[quote author=Scrit  link=1140278241/15#15 date=1140719111]
Look I know that "Life on Mars" is on the telly, but I didn't realise the retro thing had spread to kitchens too...... Shocked [/quote]

It's been spreading to adverts too. Something about the current generation of ad execs weren't even born in the 70's and think that the 70's is some cool historical period like the victorian period.  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Scrit
Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2006, 7:56am

Bet they've never worn those ridiculous shirts with the long collars (which never ironed flat), platform sole shoes or flappy loon pants which were tight enough to cut the circulation to the nether regions! All just as impractical as glossy worktops, really.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006, 7:57am by Scrit »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2006, 8:45pm

[quote author=WOLF  link=1140278241/0#4 date=1140281379]they only "offer" and supply one SWEDISH brand of gloss lam, [/quote]

IKEA? ! ?

Coat!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2006, 9:21pm

Grin Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChubbyPhaseWire