Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 1:09am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Field Gate (Read 18994 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Field Gate
Jul 17th, 2007, 2:46pm

Anyone know how to hang one? I know what the end result is meant to look like but have a few questions about the process...

The bottom hook has a tapered spike that has to be driven into the oak post. Ok so I assume some sort of pilot hole has to be drilled. What diameter? It seems to me that if I get it wrong and I'll find myself with the spike not far enough in yet unable to get it out?

Then there is the bolt through top hook. This is a square bar threaded at one end. Obviously the threaded end goes through a hole drilled in the post and the nut fitted on the back. But it appears the square part is too long to set hook the right distance away from the post. It looks like the square section has to be pulled partly into the post? Again it looks very hit and miss?

or is it me missing something?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Re: Field Gate
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2007, 4:08pm

the top will be designed like that so the bracket wont turn and allow you to adjust the gate up and down

i would think the secret is making the the bottom bracket an interference fit so its too tight to stop the weight of the gate pushing it in but not so  tight that a big hammer wont drive it home

any way wait for others as these are only my guesses as to how they work going by there design  Grin Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2007, 12:59am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2007, 6:10pm

If you are fitting this to an oak post you won't be able to drive it in very much so the depth that you drill is just as critical as the diameter.

I drill the same diameter as the width of the square section, leaving just the shoulders to grip. Drill the hole only very slightly less deep than you want the peg to fit. I usually give it a couple of belts with a sledge hammer to seat it (make sure it's square though)

Drill the top hole the same diameter (that is if the two brackets are the same section). The threaded part should push through the hole, fit the nut and washer and tap the fitting into the post making sure it is square. Then you can pull the rest of the fitting into the post by tightening the nut. Once you are anywhere near, fit the gate then you can turn the nut and set the gate level.

Keith

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2007, 11:01pm

Thanks. The gate post arrived today and its a massive bit of oak 8" on a side and about 8 foot long.

Have discoved "plate" mounting bottom hooks and they look easier to fit - just four coach screws.

All I need to do now is shake off a cold and get digging.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2007, 5:38pm

I think you are better off with the pin type if you can fit it, the plate hanger is more for fitting onto masonry and not as strong.

Plus, grease the threads on the top hanger, it'll make life a lot easier when you come to level the gate.

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2007, 8:01pm

Just wanted to let you know it all went ok.

I used a bottom "hook to drive" in the end. I think the shaft was 20mm square and I used a 20mm drill. It went in nice and tight with a medium size sledge hammer anyway.

Already thought to grease the threads on the top hook.

Getting the massive oak post into position on my own was interesting - I could barely lift one end. Felt like I was building stone henge. Looks good now job all done.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2007, 8:51pm

Glad you got it sort, I take it the cold is better Wink

IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2007, 8:59pm

Picture please  Smiley

IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2007, 7:04pm

Click to enlarge...

The keen eye may spot a few slight errors..

It's a cheap oak gate. Could be better quality but it's a paddock after all.

If it looks a bit high that's because there is a slight hollow I want to fill in under the gate to make the ground flatter on the lawn side.

The hooks aren't quite on the center line of the post like they should be. That's because I put the striker post in while I still had the post hole boring machine for the fence (eg before hanging the gate) I measured and remeasured before concreting the hanging post...and still got it slightly wrong.

The striking post is a bit narrow for the gate latch - I thought a 6" post would do that end and forgot it needed to be wide enough for the hoop latch.

I can't decide if I should put the top rail on the fence or cut it short so the paddock feels attached to the house.

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2007, 7:39pm

Very nice house CW!  I didn't spot the gate in picture 2  :-D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2007, 9:51pm

Ooo rrrr missus Its huge!  Cheesy

Looks a good job, also looks like bloody hard work! Well done mate!

IP Logged

Isaacs
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2008, 2:24pm

CWatters - I am about to do almost exactly the same thing as you (11 foot oak field gate onto 2.5m 200cm square oak posts) and have the same questions you raised initially regarding the fittings.  

Before I go ahead just want to check I understand the replies and your own experience correctly.

Bottom hammer in spike - mine is 20mm square so best to drill 20mm diameter hole?  

Top bolt - 20mm square and then 20mm diametre thread so again 20mm hole all the way through the post?   Obviously a 20mm square won't fit through a 20mm diametre circle but will it go through ok by tightening the bolt and whacking with a hammer?

Any other tips to make life easy or thing to watch out for?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2008, 2:24pm by Isaacs »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2008, 1:04pm

> Bottom hammer in spike - mine is 20mm square so best to drill 20mm diameter hole?  

Yes that's what I did. It went in ok using a club hammer then a sledge hammer. Not too hard. I'd suggest drilling the hole 15-20 mm shallower than you want the spike to go in. eg so the spike goes into the bottom of the hole. When the gate is open 90 degrees there is a lot of load pushing the bottom spike in. (About 2.5 times the weight of the gate). I think having the bottom spike stick out say 10mm  too far is better than having it 10mm too far in or having it pressed in too far by the weight of the gate. The correct depth is so that about 60mm sticks out (measured from the face of the post to the center line of the hinge pin). Got that off the web somewhere.

After you hammer it in a say 1" stop then to check it's not rotating in the hole due to the grain. If it is rotating use large spanner to twist it back but over do it a bit to allow for further twisting. Mine ended up a bit off true but it doesn't seem to effect the way it works. Lots of play in the hinge anyway.

> Top bolt - 20mm square and then 20mm diametre thread so again
> 20mm hole all the way through the post?   Obviously a 20mm square
> won't fit through a 20mm diametre circle but will it go through ok by
> tightening the bolt and whacking with a hammer?  

Yes top was easier then the bottom as the square section doesn't have to go in as far. 20mm hole right through. On mine the square section tapered down to round. It was quite a steep taper but not abrupt. My drill was too short so had to get longer. Again I tapped the square section in gently with the sledge hammer. Wasn't too hard. Tightening the nut also drew it in.

I put the top one in with pin pointing up like the bottom but some people advise putting it in higher up with the pin pointing down so nobody can just lift the gate off. For that you need people to hold the gate while you install the pin.

You can either hang the gate between the posts so it opens both ways (but only about 90 degrees) or against the face of the post so it opens one way (but 180 degrees). I hung mine against the face. The open width works out the same. If your ground slopes even slightly that might effect the decision to put the gate between or on the face because the adjustment works in one direction.

Best to dig the post hole for the striking end after you have hung the gate. Consider using an 8" post that end as well if face mounted. I opted for a cheaper 6" and that made it harder to position the post so that a standard field gate latch was in exactly the right place. You lose a bit of width where the gate strikes the post. It has to be in the right place or the spring loading is too heavy to operate the catch. The extra 2" would have made it a bit easier.

Apart from digging the holes (clay soil) I quite enjoyed doing it and it hasn't moved or dropped any. I didn't treat the gate and it's looking quite black with a hint of silver. Hopefully it will go silver properly eventually.

IP Logged

Isaacs
Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2008, 1:18pm

Thanks for reply Colin.  Slowly digging the first hole and will try to do whole job this weekend so timely.

Sounds like you had more of a taper than me on the top pin but fingers crossed I can wedge it in.  Otherwise you confirmed my thoughts.  Will hang between the posts as very slight drop and already got 8 inch post for closing end as well as going to be entrance to my house so thought two same size would look better (although an extra piece of stone henge to carry!)

Fingers crossed turns out as nice as yours.....
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2008, 1:19pm by Isaacs »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2008, 4:43pm

Mine looked like this one. Where the washer is you can just see it's got a 45 slope between square and round. Went into my post ok.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/43203.jpgrand=930706406
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2008, 4:44pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #15 - Dec 23rd, 2008, 4:29pm

An excellent tool for ensuring the post tops are level is the laser level. Not always an issue for a field gate (!) but there are a few people who'll pick you up for it, and it's nice to be able to show them that it's their eyes that are out!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print