Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 5:50am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decking (Read 5820 times)
AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Decking
Feb 12th, 2008, 12:48pm

Hi,

We are about to have our first baby at the end of April and the wife has decided that she would like to be able to sit outside in the garden of a morning - on the deck that I promised to build about 2 years ago!

So, as I have limited time available now, could anyone point me in the direction of any sites / other sources of information on ideas, hints and tips, etc.

We just want a pretty straightforward square decked area to adjoin the back of the house - about a foot off the ground - with a single set of steps (only going to be one or two steps I assume) on one side.

Is it simply a case of concreting a few vertical supports in the ground, framing between them, joisting across that frame and then laying the deck boards on the joists?  Or is there more to it than that?

Also, good sources of material in the North Tyneside / Newcastle area would be much appreciated.  As well as it being pricey, my experience  of timber from B&Q is that it can look ok when you buy it, but leave it a few months and it turns into a bunch of bananas.

Cheers,

Andy.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2008, 12:49pm by AndyOlds »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Re: Decking
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2008, 3:10pm

Horrible suff, put some decent slabs down instead!
If you should decide to go ahead with it, make sure you use a non-slip coating on it, it will be like a skating rink otherwise!
Cheers........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2008, 10:02pm

If you think time is limited _now_ just wait till april.

Twobarrows is right about them being slippery. Locals built some around a pond near us, they used the stuff with grooves but it's incredibly dangerous. Fell on my a__e! Needs chicken wire nailed to the top. Ever wondered why sailors are allways scrubbing the decks?

Perhaps have a look at india stone.. lots of places sell it.. looks great in the sun..various colours to suit your brickwork.. Lay as per regular flagstones..
http://www.pavingexpert.com/patio01.htm
A mix if different sizes looks good but I quite like the smaller sizes that have a similar effect to stone sets.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2008, 2:27pm

There is one good thing about decking........it burns well!
We had loads of it at the back of our house, I hate it, I took a load out and put about a 4m square in front of my workshop, I wish I'd never bothered, I have fallen over twice on it.
The last bit at the back of the house will come out as soon as I've finished this poxing bathroom that I've been doing for weeks (weather permitting of course). Bring on the slabs........

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2008, 10:38pm

Well, thanks for the opinions!

Doesn't help my situation though, as the boss is adamant!

I know decking can be slippery in the wet, but I guess as long as I keep it free of moss then it shoudn't be too much of a problem.

So, apart from suggesting paving instead, any pointers to help me do a good job?

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2008, 7:17am

But it is almost permanently wet, first thing in the morning, most mornings, it will be slippery, most of the year. Crappy stuff should be banned as a safety hazzard.
Go for slabs, they look better, probably quicker to put down, and cheaper.
But I know what you mean about the boss being adamant........meine 'obersturmbahnfurher' has lots of ideas, luckily I mange to shoot them down in flames by either telling her it can't physically be done or that is against building regs!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2008, 9:53am

IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2008, 12:17pm

Thanks CWatters - just the sort of thing I was after.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2008, 6:38pm

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2008, 9:27pm

Great site that Twobarrows. Should be on everyones favs list. If it's new to anyone, check out the index.

Their section on decking is worth reading right through but personally I love the intro comments on decking...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur05.htm

Quote:
Patio decking has become very popular over the past few years for reasons that completely escape me. Why anyone would want to have a glorified pallet outside their conservatory is one of life's great mysteries, exceeded only by the reason why they then want to paint it blue.

When asked what the best thing is to treat a timber deck, my stock answer is "5 gallons of diesel and a match".  

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008, 9:28pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2008, 7:33am

'Sfunny, I've never noticed that before; but it is a rather wasteful suggestion, I'd put the diesel in my Jeep & just put a match to the decking!
But it does echo my sentiments 100%.
And yes, that site has everything you would ever want to know about paving, whether you want to build a simple path or land an AV8-B in your back garden! Excellent web-site constuction as well.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

qjess
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2008, 5:41pm

Decking is the no.1 new breeding site for rats, apparently!!  According to the media there are now over 80 million rats in the UK - many of them reproducing under some decking near you!! Eeeek!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print