Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:00am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bloody telly! (Read 29840 times)
The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Bloody telly!
Reply #17 - May 2nd, 2008, 3:17pm

Right chaps - Today I have had a company (SKYFORCE LTD) to come out and quote.

Spec is as follows -

1 x 'DMX10' antenna.
Feeding 3 points.
1 x masthead amp & power unit.
Cable is CT100 with foam dialeteric.
Price - £259.68

I have to supply & fit the backboxes and supply the front outlets.

Also, can anyone give me some info on outlet plates?
I was in my wholesalers yesterday, and he was talking about 'insulated' and 'non-insulated' types - what applies to what here?
I want to fit MK LOGIC white plates to match the socket outlets.

Comments please?

Ta

TT
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008, 3:45pm by The_Trician »  

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2008, 5:54pm

Sounds a reasonable price actually!

Isolated / Non Isolated.  Not insulated/non insulated Wink

Isolated outlets have a capacitor in them, and effectivly 'isolate' your TV and fly lead from the distribution system.  The only reason this is done is so if your fly lead or TV presented a short or something to the amplifier, it would prevent it from shutting it self down.  They are used in blocks of flats etc so one neighbour does not affect another.  There is a smidge of a loss of quality, but nothing noticeable really.

Go for NON isolated.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2008, 10:00pm

That spec looks ok to me. The DMX10 is a 52 element aerial. Should look like this..

Ask how they are driving the three seperate faceplates from one aerial? They should be using a masthead amp with three seperate outputs rather than passive splitters (T joints).

If the mast head amp they bring has four outputs perhaps ask the fitter if it would be possible for him to run a wire from the un-used output into the loft and leave a few meters coiled up. Might come in handy later.

I could suggest other things to do if you are ever likely to want to distribute Sky to multiple rooms but perhaps not complicate things.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #20 - May 5th, 2008, 12:51pm

The spec refers to 'amp & power unit' so I am guessing the 'amp' bit refers to a masthead amp.
Would I be correct in assuming that an isolated outlet would stop the power and the signal being transmitted from the amp to the tv set then?

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #21 - May 5th, 2008, 1:32pm

Na - the signal is still passed, but there is a tiny loss.  The isolated outlets litterally simply protect the amp from short circuit type faults.

Amps have built in protection to shut down on a fault on an output.  In flats etc, it would be a pain if everyone lost TV because someone was trying to use a dodgy fly lead to connect the TV.

In saying this, many amps these days have 'isolated outputs', where only the output thats faulty shuts down.  However, there are still many that will shut down completely, or simply be unable to work with a shorted output.

Go for non-isolated.  That is what all domestic installs use.

An amp with four outputs will be far superior to an amp with a splitter in the loft, unless the splitter is powered.  Ask if the masthead amp has a single or four outputs.

The masthead amps, and many loft amps fitted by aerial guys, run on 12v DC which is derived from one of the coax downleads (outputs).  This is usually from the main TV location, and the powersupply that sends this 12v up the coax is placed in line with the coax at this point.  This is far easier for aerial guys, as they do not need to mess with lecky in the loft.  It can however be a pain when you move house - most people take the powers supply with them, thinking it is the booster.  Then the next folk in the house have no TV reception!  In away, I wish the aerial guys would fix the power supply to the wall or skirting atleast!
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 1:34pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #22 - May 5th, 2008, 3:46pm

The_Trician wrote on May 5th, 2008, 12:51pm:
The spec refers to 'amp & power unit' so I am guessing the 'amp' bit refers to a masthead amp.
Would I be correct in assuming that an isolated outlet would stop the power and the signal being transmitted from the amp to the tv set then?

TT

It will stop the Sky remote working in other rooms remote from the Sky box itself.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2008, 6:46pm

Quote:
The_Trician wrote on May 5th, 2008, 12:51pm:

TT

It will stop the Sky remote working in other rooms remote from the Sky box itself.

But he is talking about a downlead from an aerial, not an uplink to an additional TV from the sky box.  Agreed though, the isolated plate would block the 9v required for the eye.

However, TT, you must make sure that which ever location is going to have the power supply does not use an isolated outlet plate, as this would block the 12 to the booster.

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #24 - May 5th, 2008, 6:59pm

>But he is talking about a downlead from an aerial, not an uplink to an >additional TV from the sky box.  Agreed though, the isolated plate >would block the 9v required for the eye.

Oops, forget we were talking about aerials Smiley I'm so used to my set-up with just Sky.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2008, 9:51pm

MK have non-isolated TV outlets in the Logic series...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK3520.html
and
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/TelephoneSkts.pdf

Looks like the part you want is K3520 WHI = TV/FM Co-axial socket(single).  These have a socket similar to the aerial connector on the back of your TV.

Aside: Personally I have a slight preference for threaded "F" connectors as found on the back of Sky boxes. MK also do those Part number K3525.

http://www.fastlec.co.uk/images/mk/k3525whi.jpg

The F connector is slightly better quality than a regular aerial socket connector but if you go for face plates with F connectors you need special leads with an F plug on one end and an TV aerial connector at the other. Maplin carry them but perhaps not many other highstreet stores.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 9:55pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #26 - May 5th, 2008, 10:08pm

Quote:
The F connector is slightly better quality than a regular aerial socket connector but if you go for face plates with F connectors you need special leads with an F plug on one end and an TV aerial connector at the other. Maplin carry them but perhaps not many other highstreet stores.

F connectors are not only superior in quality they are a doddle to fit and also dirt cheap! Use an adaptor to convert back to the normal coax plug style.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2008, 10:16pm by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #27 - Aug 15th, 2008, 11:56pm

Gents -

Further to my previous queries!

I have now reached a point in my house renovation whereby I need to route some CT100 cable in quickly before the plasterer buries everything!

So, Am thinking the following -

Get some kind of distribution box put up in the loft and run cable down from there to outlet in room to be plastered.

At a future date, get aerial man to come and fit aerial, masthead amp etc, and downlead from aerial to loft. I can run a dedicated 240V supply to the loft to be specifically used for powering any TV stuff up there.

I can then run from the loft to each room as I move through the house doing the renovations.

What is the best type/brand  of distribution box to get?
Am most likely looking at something with 4 or 6 outlets.

TT
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2008, 11:59pm by The_Trician »  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2008, 11:19am

Just been and bought 100 metres of CT100. Whilst there, I asked about these 'Loftbox' thingies. £48+VAT!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Took a rain check on it and have just been googling. It seems that the much-vaunted Loftbox solution ain't the best game in town as far as reception to other rooms is concerned.

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #29 - Aug 17th, 2008, 11:15am

You dont need a loft box if you are not installing sky TT.

Just get a digital ready distribution amp.

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #30 - Dec 15th, 2008, 10:20pm

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #31 - Dec 16th, 2008, 8:44am

For distributing TV around the house yes it should be fine.

I note that it's designed for situations where there is no power in the loft - its sends power from the power supply unit up the coax to the distribution amp in the loft. If you have a power up there it might be neater to put the power unit in the loft or get one with a built in power supply and mains plug

Did your aerial install work out ok? Did they need to install a mast head amplifier or similar? If so the way that's powered might cause complications. Some mast head amps are powered up the cable as well and you might need a distribution amp that provides that (this one doesn't).
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2008, 8:49am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #32 - Dec 16th, 2008, 9:27am

Hi,
Not had the aerial job done yet - but it'll be during the next week or so - we've only just finished the building wks and the lounge is now painted.

Could do with the job being done before xmas in time for the latest Wallce & Gromet on Xmas Day!

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:01pm

Finally got this bugger sorted out once and for all!

Plumped for a Freesat dish with 4 way lmb thing, 4 lots of cable into loft with one presently feeding a Grundig Freesat box.

Oh boy, there ain't half some shitt on satellite telly!

Now I know why I feel that I haven't missed anything great for the last 10 years or so!

TT

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print