Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 8:12am
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Home office / study for a Parkinson’s sufferer (Read 13395 times)
Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Re: Home office / study for a Parkinson’s suffer
Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2008, 10:15pm

CWatters wrote on Apr 16th, 2008, 5:18pm:
I had an elderly relative with Parkinsons.  I'd be thinking long term... perhaps a combined bedroom/office/TV room with ensuite on the ground floor. Parkinson can cause you to shuffle so perhaps watch for trip hazards - perhaps not your responsibility.  

I'm not sure I would bother wall mounting the monitor if it's just going to be used with the computer. I'm using a 22" Samsung LCD (great monitors) on the desk stand that came with it.  I don't think I've moved it in six months. Might be different if I wanted to use it as a TV as well while sitting in another chair/bed.

The client is prone to accidents due to his illness and that’s why I was thinking of mounting the monitor on the wall.  

IP Logged

Dolallytap
GDPR opt-out

Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2008, 10:16pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 16th, 2008, 9:47pm:
Hope I am helping and not making things more confusing   Undecided

Hi Sparky

Firstly you are doing a grade job if it was not for your first post I would not have given reflections a thought until it was some way down the yellow brick road.

I have just got a few lines on paper in over words just started to play. As soon as I will have got something worth showing probably in the morning “that’s if I burn the midnight oil”. Then I will post it so you can get your mind round it when you know what it may look like.

Also the client will be reading this thread as I have told him that you are all putting your thinking caps on just to see if we can get the best for him.

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2008, 10:25pm by Dolallytap »  

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2008, 10:40pm

feed back on the exact areas that need development would be handy if he has read this thread he will understand our willingness to help as there for the grace of------------------------------ well you know what i mean Embarrassed

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2008, 12:17am

big_all wrote on Apr 16th, 2008, 10:40pm:
feed back on the exact areas that need development would be handy if he has read this thread he will understand our willingness to help as there for the grace of------------------------------ well you know what i mean Embarrassed

I joined The Parkinson's Disease Society of the United Kingdom which have forum. I asked if I could post this same question on it and I was told No we do not allow post of a commercial nature.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2008, 12:37am

The first design attempt is enclosed the second page is the dimensioned drawing

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2008, 6:57am

Im making this up as I go along…..
If the monitor is on a bracket it will bring the front of the monitor 100mm forward?

Quote:
I don’t know if I will be using the fittings on page 63 they are only 18 x 14mm or 62 or 79  used them all before they are ok.  

You could put your fittings near the back of the cabinets I think it should work ok with the monitor (if that looks good)

The picture above is a bookcase light from Ikea just to give you an idea of what I was thinking (one above the bookcase, two above the wall cupboards?)

Is there a center ceiling light? Will there be enough light for the desk?
As there is not a wall the only thing I can think of is a desk light but Im guessing you want to avoid them

Someone else will hopefully have some good ideas before I get home tonight
I better go and connect some lighting of my own  Wink

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2008, 7:36pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 17th, 2008, 6:57am:
Im making this up as I go along…..
If the monitor is on a bracket it will bring the front of the monitor 100mm forward?

Quote:
I don’t know if I will be using the fittings on page 63 they are only 18 x 14mm or 62 or 79  used them all before they are ok.  

You could put your fittings near the back of the cabinets I think it should work ok with the monitor (if that looks good)

The picture above is a bookcase light from Ikea just to give you an idea of what I was thinking (one above the bookcase, two above the wall cupboards?)

Is there a center ceiling light? Will there be enough light for the desk?
As there is not a wall the only thing I can think of is a desk light but Im guessing you want to avoid them

Someone else will hopefully have some good ideas before I get home tonight
I better go and connect some lighting of my own  Wink

Hi Sparks

I am thinking of mounting the light fitting at the rear of the wall cabinet set at 45 deg but it may the cast a shadow due to the monitor. But there will a minimum of two fitting. There is a ceiling light set about central.  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2008, 8:16pm

I recon that if you had three under the three wall cabinets there wouldn’t be too much shadow under the monitor,
I don’t know if you like the idea of the bookcase lights?
I think if you had two switches, one for top lights and one for down lights?

Im also thinking that if you were using the worktop/desk you would be working in your own shadow so how about changing the center light to a trac with adjustable light fittings

You would want your spark to put a two-way switch on the desk for this, as I would turn it off when using the computer/monitor

He will love me! (I hate it when a customer says ‘I was on the net and they said……’)   Wink

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2008, 11:39pm

sparky415 wrote on Apr 17th, 2008, 8:16pm:
I recon that if you had three under the three wall cabinets there wouldn’t be too much shadow under the monitor,
I don’t know if you like the idea of the bookcase lights?
I think if you had two switches, one for top lights and one for down lights?

Im also thinking that if you were using the worktop/desk you would be working in your own shadow so how about changing the center light to a trac with adjustable light fittings

You would want your spark to put a two-way switch on the desk for this, as I would turn it off when using the computer/monitor

He will love me! (I hate it when a customer says ‘I was on the net and they said……’)   Wink

Hi Sparks

I don’t think it is practical to change the centre light.

The client had the house built some tens years ago in a small village of a population of 47 in Lincolnshire. The house is built in a cottage style from local stone. So I don’t think the style of desk light shown in the photo would be in keeping.  I think I can get in a single low voltage down light by extending the top of the cupboards over the bookcase. This would not only illuminate the bookcase but also the desk / work top at that end. It may also be possible to have an adjustable type of fitting?

Don’t worry about upsetting Paul since he as grown a very thick skin and extremely used to all things changing 4 or 5 times on my projects. To give you some idea of style this is an entertainment dresser I did for the client.

Full specification

I will be able to give further information after the week end when I have got more details on paper.    

The client’s website

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2008, 8:09am

The coating on modern LCD is pretty good. Main problem with reflections seems to be from windows or lights on the ceiling behind the person seated. Sun light falling directly onto the screen also. Perhaps worth sitting where the chair will be and using a mirror to see what you can see.

Personally I think I'd avoid built in lights as they can't be moved around easily if there is an unexpected problem.  

Edit; I have 2 x 35W halogen spots on the ceiling I use. They are slightly in front of my head when seated so I'm not working in my own shadow. No problem with reflections from those.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:11am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2008, 5:32pm

Sounds like it would be a good idea to play with a couple of fittings first to see what happens,
might save a costly mistake  Smiley

IP Logged

Dolallytap
Reply #28 - May 10th, 2008, 9:03am

Just a quick note to thank to all those members who have taken time and trouble in offering advice on this mater, it is most appreciated.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print