Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 6:28am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Corners on weatherboarded buildings (Read 4138 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Corners on weatherboarded buildings
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:14am

On the corner of a weatherboarded building like a barn there is normally a square strip running vertically to cover the ends of the boards. How is this fixed to the frame or is it just nailed to the ends of the weatherboards?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Corners on weatherboarded buildings
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2008, 4:27pm

various ways dear chap, all depends on things such as , board size, profile size  building size, as it can be an off set "T" shape, or contain a grove like in T & G... all depends!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2008, 9:38pm

Thanks. I've just got planning permission for a large shed 5m x 5m which I plan to start in September. Cladding will be waney edge boards, probably 20-25mm thick. The internal frame will probably have 150 or 175mm square posts right in the corners. So I guess the easiest way would be to fix through diagonally into the corner post.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2008, 10:38pm

what other support to the ground are you having!!!!!

what size off joists are you planning inbetween

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2008, 11:46pm

Plan so far is to lay a concrete base (probable 150mm hardcore and 100/150 concrete) then either single or two brick course plinth to raise the frame off the ground (as per typical stable design).  DPC strip on the top then the frame on that. Not quite decided how to do hold down yet. Might try pushing some galvanised wall plate straps into the concrete while it's wet. Possibly also some stainless steel pins in the corners

The basic structure will be a green oak style frame. Green oak posts out front and similar size softwood posts inside. The main frame will have some diagonal wind braces (probably bit larger than shown on the drawing). The walls will be 4x2 (possibly larger) studwork with more diagonals. Still very much work in progress...

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008, 11:47pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:44pm

You can do the corners by making up a "L" shape and fixing this to the posts then just butt the cladding upto this.

If you skin the outside in 12mm ply you can do away with any diagonal bracing to the infill studwork, and just use a few on the oak for decoration.

To hold it down set some stainless studding into the concrete with a nut & plate washer on the end, let this come up through your brickwork, through the wall plates and use another nut & plate washer to tighten it down. You don't want steel pins in the corners, the half lap joints on the wall plate should have a mortice through them with a matching tennon on the end of the posts to pin the joint together and locate the post at the same time. This is the easiest way to do the wall plate corners, the other option is to M&T joint them together with a timber peg and then have a second mortice for the post to locate into.

You may find this of interest

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2008, 6:17pm

Brilliant, thanks for the good onfo Jason.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print