Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 6th, 2024, 5:59am
Quote: One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him - Jeffrey Bernard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows flush or set-back if planning to render? (Read 4245 times)
Isaacs
GDPR opt-out

Windows flush or set-back if planning to render?
Nov 30th, 2008, 8:50pm

I am in the process of getting some new windows and wondering whether they should be set back from brickwork or flush.  The house is currently brick and they are set back slightly but I am planning to render the brickwork at some point and been told that "may" need to have windows flush with brickwork for this.  Will continue my consultations with the "pros" but anybody got any thoughts?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Windows flush or set-back if planning to rende
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2008, 8:53pm

Whichever is correct the length of the cill will need to be adjusted to suit so don't order till you have an answer.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Isaacs
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2008, 9:00pm

Yes true.  Bit more complicated than moving them forward later if need be.  Certainly not ordering yet.  In the process of retaining an architect to help with lots of things and already got into a fierce debate about what is the "right" glazing pattern for old farmhouses.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:23am

Personally I don't like render but needs must.

It's my understanding that you shouldn't render below the dpc and a drip bell should be formed above the dpc. Make sure the person doing the render is clear on this sort of detail before he starts. Likewise no rendering over air bricks!

IP Logged

Isaacs
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2008, 11:34am

LOL well it is render or some not too pretty 1970's bricks in large parts of the house.  Must admit given the choice I would prefer an old Georgian or Victorian brick build house and some of the modern rendered houses lack soul (we did look at some houses like this before buying current one but after 18 months of looking we made some compromises).  However, in any case a lot of more modern brick build house are not particularly attractive if not downright ugly and rendering if done nicely with right detailing and right windows, guttering, barge boards, etc, can look quite good.

Early days to worry about details on the rendering (just trying to figure out window issues for now) but points taken.   Think we will probably end up keeping some kind of brick plinth as we have some very old nice looking bricks on barn, stable and garden walls or possible weatherboarded plinth (just like the old days to protect against cows kicking the walls!)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2008, 4:36pm

The rendered houses I've worked on have always had their windows inset into the opening as this prevents the reveal showing a damp face to be plastered. Although that probably wouldn't be such a problem these days with plastic insulated reveals.

Replacing a window that has been rendered round can be awkward, make sure they are in good condition before you render them in.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print