Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 28th, 2024, 9:38pm
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Warping doors (Read 4349 times)
bulldog

If you broke it, blame
the wife...

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Warping doors
Oct 12th, 2004, 4:45pm

Hi,
We have a porch where we want to put a new door up. The first door there was a bodge job, do that came down. The second door we got was a solid Pinr Door, but this warped and the corners were so back you could see into the porch when the door was closed.

I bought another pine door, this one having glass in most of it. I let it acclimitise to the house, but even before I put it up, it had warped. Cheap B&Q stuff!

I think I now have two options:
1. Get a solid hard wood external door. The reason being is that there is no heating out in the porch, so warmed on one side and freezing cold on the other, this type of door would be ideal. However, they ain't cheap!
2. Get a hollow type door. Smae reason as above, but cheaper. However, I have not seen anywhere this type of door with glass panels, and I would like glass to let more light into the room.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: Warping doors
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2004, 4:56pm

Coincidentally I had to take a door from a kitchen this morning and rehang it upstairs as the bathroom door.

Once I'd done that it was obvious the door was slightly warped, so the frame downstairs in the kitchen was most probably warped too, as it wasn't noticeably warped when downstairs.

This was also a pine door. I've no idea how one would go about fixing the problem as a short term measure. Presumably you could "train" the door into shape over a long period of time by applying pressure.

I don't think pine is a very good material for doors myself.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2004, 9:42pm

Hi Bulldog and welcome to the forum.

As you have found there are a lot of really cheap doors about and pine doors in particular have to be well made if they are not going to warp and twist.

Fitting an external door would be an option but what about the frame? Internal doors are usually 35mm thick, external ones are usually 44mm.

If you go to Travis Perkins or your local builders merchant they will be able to get you any sort of door you could want, for instance the Premdoor catalogue has 100 pages of doors; but they do come at a price. Or you could look at www.jeld-wen.co.uk

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

bulldog

If you broke it, blame
the wife...

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004, 8:30am

Thanks for the advice. The website is great, and I will be investigating further. I'm being nagged to get the door up before the winter really sets in!!

Cheers
Dave

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

koolwabbit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2004, 8:43pm

Dave, dont know where you are but if you are anywhere near Lowestoft, Suffolk my wood supplier has a few doors going cheap. Normal cost in hardwood £165.00 @ £35.00 each.
These are factory rejects, slightly marked but still excellent quality.

Nigel

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bulldog

If you broke it, blame
the wife...

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2004, 8:27am

Koolwabbit,
Excellent, my brother is over in Ipswich, and my sister a bit further up, so I could kill three birds with one stone, so to speak.

Where (and who) is this supplier. Would they have any sort of description to what they have (brochure/website). Very very very intrested!

Cheers
Dave

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

koolwabbit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2004, 9:31pm

Dave
Did you get my message ? Sent you a personal message with details. If not phone Brian on 01502 501269 and me (Nigel).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print