Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 12:29am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rings (Read 2494 times)
molerat
GDPR opt-out

Rings
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:04pm

I have a large cupboard that backs onto my kitchen.  This cupboard has a socket in it which is on the downstairs ring.  I am going to enlarge my kitchen by removing the stud wall between the kitchen and this cupboard and blocking off its doorway.  This will bring the socket into the kitchen area which has its own ring.  How does this stand regulation (and common sense) wise ? ???

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: Rings
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2004, 11:25pm

Regswise there's no issue at all. Commonsense-wise its difficult to tell without seeing the job.

I assume you already have sockets in your kitchen? If so, its a good idea for the cupboard socket to be on the same circuit as the kitchen sockets so that if you switch the mcb off or pull the Ring fuse, you'll know that ALL of the sockets are dead in the kitchen.

Now that's common sense!

Wink Wink Wink

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2004, 11:26pm

[quote author=molerat  link=1101855872/0#0 date=1101855872]I have a large cupboard that backs onto my kitchen.  This cupboard has a socket in it which is on the downstairs ring.  I am going to enlarge my kitchen by removing the stud wall between the kitchen and this cupboard and blocking off its doorway.  This will bring the socket into the kitchen area which has its own ring.  How does this stand regulation (and common sense) wise ? ??? [/quote]

Well firstly it depends upon where the socket is located, e.g. away from sources of water and excess heat

Secondly all sockets that can 'reasonably' supply portable equipment outside should be RCD protected, this could be either an RCD Socket or an RCD unit protecting the ring circuit located in the consumer unit

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2004, 12:19am

[quote author=The_Trician  link=1101855872/0#1 date=1101857134]

Now that's common sense!

[/quote]

Common sense is to test & prove it's dead, not to assume you know which fuse or mcb protects it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2004, 1:20am

I'd say its good practice rather than common sense Wink  My new house has 16 mcb's and not one of them is labelled Angry

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print