Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 1st, 2024, 12:15pm
Quote: A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Something to think about (Read 22926 times)
BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Something to think about
Jan 19th, 2005, 1:02am

Hi again fellow sparkies

Heres something for you all to think about, if your a spark or not Part P is here and affects us all. Us sparkies are very much in favour of getting rid of those who give our trade a bad name.  Its here if we like it or not, but laws can be changed. There is a very good possibility that those in Government can read this or it will be passed on. Ok we dont like Part P, so lets give the Government and us what we want, Ideas to make it better for all.

Now we all know the Government want everyones hard earned cash, and to save money on areas like insurance claims, and make it so all money is more traceable. In the consultation document for Part P, it was said that every effort should be made to keep good relations with the electrical industry, this isnt happening Mr Blair. These are my ideas on this subject, please give serious ideas and maybe, just maybe things might change. If someone in Government is seeing this, come up with a better way or you will be losing your voters rapidly. You may think that you hold the power in Goverment, but its really the voters that hold all the power. Think on that one a minute all you Labour councilors while you pack your bags, because if Part P stays as it is, you dont have much longer in power.

The Government have said they want to save lives and make the housing stock safer, and get rid of the cowboy element. Nothing in Part P will do that, infact it will make the public more likely to use the cowboys because it will be cheaper. The public will get ripped off more often, and more and more dangerous jobs will be done. How do cowboys exist, the answers are, not enough information for the public, trade service companys who keep lists sometimes dont vet them enough or at all. Also and this is in my opinion the worst area, they can obtain materials from DIY stores. Buying materials from these stores is not traceable if cash is paid, and a cowboy can operate undetected by the taxman or whoever.

If the Government really wants to stop the cowboy element, Make the DIY stores and wholesalers trade only. Do the DIY stores know or care if the person buying from them is a cowboy or if they can install electrical goods safely and correctly, the answer is NO. Make the DIY stores and wholesalers trade only, and this will make it harder for the cowboys and more likely to stop shoddy workmanship, plus all work will be traceable.

As we all are aware if your not a member of one of the competant schemes, your qualifications dont mean anything. What I propose is this, those with qualifications to do certain jobs should still be able to do them. If you have passed the 2391 course then you can certificate all work you do, if you are asked to certificate other work, then on your head be it. If you dont have a qualification for a job then you cant do it, leave it to those who have. For those who dont have certain qualifications, the Government should set up courses with more realistic prices, or training with help from the Government. The Government is saying there is a skills shortage, well ermmmm yes there is, and with Part P it will only get worse as good tradesmen will leave the industry and theres not many apprenticeships nowdays. Also if you ask the building industry and they were honest, they prefure City & Guilds to any NVQ scheme.

We have to meet the Government halfway, so all work small or large must be informed to the local building control, but with a small fee around £2 - £3.00 on each job. If you are a non-competant person now, my council are charging £58.75 for work under £1000.00 work between £1000.00 - £2000.00 is over £120.00, so why is it through one of the schemes we have to pay only £2 - £3.00, Big difference.  My council are doing away with the £58.75 fee in favour of the larger fee, as they have found it wont cover their costs when it was first introduced.

If you want to make your company or business look more proffessional then join one of the schemes, but you should not have a gun to your head as it is now. As I sujested all work should be notifyable to building control, then organisations like NICEIC etc can check out if a company receives a complaint. Those companies who do things the right way will have nothing to fear, cowboys will.

To the DIY person I say this, there are many of you out there very good at DIY but, if you dont get things checked out, your putting your life and any family lives and property at risk. A good tradesman worth his salt, would never walk away from a job leaving it in a dangerous situation, but we all make mistakes now and again. With Part P now in operation this is making our costs rise, so with help from you the public, maybe we might force those in Government to change their mind on Part P. The old regulation was this, any electrician who caused injury to person or livestock, or caused damage to property due to bad workmanship, could be jailed by a court of law. So you see they had us electricians by the short and curlies even before Part P, so there was no need for it other than to stop bad workmanship.

I hope this doesnt offend anyone as this is not my way, I just want to make life easier for all.

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Something to think about
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2005, 1:21am

the problem with being too harsh in the regulation of fixed wiring is it enourages use of extention leads.

extention leads tend to be far more prone to getting damaged and hence becoming dangerous than fixed wiring.

plus whats to stop people using bits of extention leads along with twisted and taped joints to make fixed extentions to thier houses wiring?

stopping diyers getting the proper kit encourages them to use unsuitable kit and/or attempt to repair kit that should have been binned.

this is NOT a good thing.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2005, 1:49pm

In Germany it is impossible for you to buy anything to do with rewiring or plumbing unless you are trade.  All work must also be notified. This sounds good, but it has simply meant that cowboys and DIYers are buying stuff in Holland and shipping it in privately!!

Frankly, such restriction to 'trade only' will not work, especially in independent minded Britain.  

The current situation now makes all DIY'ers like me have their work checked regardless - all responsible DIY'ers have been doing this for years anyway when doing large/difficult jobs like rewires - so let's just leave things as they are. Part P is stringent enough without further legislation.  

What really upsets me as a DIYer about part P is that many small jobs are now not worth doing myself because of the £120 Building Control charge - especially as Building Control tell me that on completion they will simply expect to see a Certificate - i.e. all small jobs will cost me an inspection fee and then on top of that a £120 charge to make sure that I have had my work inspected!!! ???

Not good - it will make DIYer's (much less cowboys)  even less likely to notify anyone or get their work checked than they were before.  Daft, totally daft.

John D

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2005, 10:47pm by tjohndavies »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2005, 5:48pm

Posted this in 'Trade' but thought worth while posting here for the DIY folk too.

Here's the latest response form the ODPM which I have just recieved.  

Parts of it are already out of date - for instance, they are still quoting 10 lives lost P/A but the ammended statement on the ODPM site talks abpout these numbers being around 2.6!  
Joined-up Govt again!  

Read on -  

"Part P Regulatory Impact Assessment  

Thank you for your email of 13 December to Ian Drummond, and subsequent emails, in which you comment mainly on the Part P Regulatory Impact Assessment. I have been asked to reply.  

I should first like again to apologise for not acknowledging your initial email on 22 October to our general enquiry email address in which you asked for the name of the person to contact at ODPM about Part P. We have received a large number of enquiries about Part P, and unfortunately your email was missed by staff responsible for allocating enquiries to the responsible officers.  

The following paragraphs contain our response to your comments and questions, which are shown in italics.  

Consultation  

The changes were subject to consultation of sorts. But, it was mainly the electrical contracting industry that was consulted and, not surprisingly, in the words of the RIA "the proposals were broadly welcomed by the majority of the firms, who felt that they would benefit because consumers would be more likely in future to employ competent contractors". There has been no systematic attempt to balance contractors' understandable desire to receive greater fees from consumers with consumers' understandable desire not to pay such fees. There is no evidence of attempts to involve consumers or their representatives.  The Consumers Association (Which?) did not contribute.  

ODPM sent out copies of the consultation package to around 350 organisations, including various bodies representing consumer and DIY interests such as Which?, the British Safety Council, DIY stores (B&Q, Homebase and Wickes), Small Landlords Association and RoSPA. In addition we published a copy of the consultation package on the ODPM website.  

Altogether we received 490 responses, which are summarised on the ODPM website at www.odpm.gov.uk/electricalsafety. It is true that the responses came mainly from electrical contractors, and that those individuals who identified themselves as DIY enthusiasts were generally against the need for independent inspection and testing of DIY work. This was countered by the view of others that DIY work may be of a poorer standard and should therefore be included in the inspection, testing and certification process.  

Which? did not respond formally, but we did have direct contact with the author of the Which? Book of Wiring and Lighting, who we understand broadly supported the proposals and offered to revise the guide to take account of Part P requirements. The Which? guide and other DIY manuals already recommend engaging an electrician to check more ambitious DIY work.  

Your quotation above is taken out of context in that it comes from the survey of six small businesses (the small firms impact test), where the issues being addressed focused on small firms’ interests rather than those overall. Paragraph 85 of the RIA points out that those in favour of the Part P proposals included the BSI (British Standards Institution) National Wiring Committee JPEL/64 responsible for the British Standard BS 7671 (‘Requirements for electrical installations’); the Health and Safety Executive; the Department of Trade and Industry Standards and Technical Regulations Division, which has responsibilities for the Low Voltage Regulations and, more generally, consumer safety; the IEE (Institution of Electrical Engineers); as well as the NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) and the ECA (Electrical Contractors’ Association) representing electrical contractors.  

Costs to consumers  

The costs to consumers were actually overlooked in the draft RIA. In the final RIA, they are acknowledged, but (again in the words of the RIA) "cannot be fully included [in Table 3] because it is not known what proportion of DIY jobs would be notifiable". The costs of obtaining inspection certificates is estimated at £50 to £100 in the report. So it is clear that there is a large uncertainty to the calculation of consumer cost and much of this cost is ignored.    

I have calculated the costs to consumers of compliance from figures contained in the report. It is stated that there are a million DIY electrical installations completed each year. Of these, the proportion that would be notifiable is not known, but a fair assumption would be 25%. At an inspection fee of £75 (median of £50 and £100), the cost would amount to £18.75 million per year. All the RIA figures are given as ten year totals discounted at 3.5%, which yields £161 million.  

The RIA presents figures for the costs and benefits of the new regulation. The benefits are calculated at £475 million while the costs are calculated at £382 million. The figures purport to show a net benefit of £93 million. But if one takes account of the additional costs to consumers which was ignored in the RIA, the regulations actually show a negative net benefit - a net cost of £68 million.

Paragraph 70 of the RIA states that the costs borne by DIY workers in complying with Part P cannot be fully included in Table 3, but that the estimate of building control fees paid by unregistered electrical installers does include those paid by the DIY sector. In Table 3 we have assumed that 8% of DIY jobs will be notified (compared with 46% of jobs by professionals) at a cost of £60 a time. Table 3 does not take account of the extra costs of any DIYers who employ a qualified electrician to inspect, test and certify their work (likely to be uncommon) as it is anticipated that most DIYers will notify Building Control, which is the easier route.  

Paragraph 56 notes that it has been assumed that after five years 25% of jobs will be by unregistered installers. Paragraph 60 adds that it is expected that the majority of notifications to building control bodies will eventually be by DIYers as increasing numbers of professional installers register with competent person schemes.  

WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE KIDDING?

The number of jobs that DIYers will notify to a building control body is uncertain, but our view is that 25% is an overestimate.  

TOO DAMN RIGHT!

Notifiable jobs consist mainly of new circuits back to the consumer unit and extensions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors. No replacement, repair or maintenance work is notifiable. We would therefore estimate that less than 10% of jobs currently carried out by DIYers will need to be notified, and that this percentage is likely to decrease further following the introduction of Part P because (a) some DIYers doing notifiable jobs will in future plan work so that several jobs are notified at the same time; and (b) DIYers who are not competent to do electrical work will be more likely in future to employ a registered installer to carry out the work on their behalf. This will apply in particular to the more risky notifiable jobs in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoors.    

HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

Building control charges  

What efforts were made to validate the assumptions with respect to the fees that would be charged by building control bodies for the inspection of wiring?  The RIA assumes £50 to £100.  

Advice was sought from bodies representing local authority interests – the Association of Building Engineers (ABE), the District Surveyors Association (DSA) and the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Building Control Forum. In addition, we held separate meetings with the ECA and NICEIC to discuss costs and charges.  

Local authority charges are based on the value of the work done. The Local Government Association model charges scheme, which most local authorities adopt, places work up to £1000 in value in one band. The charge in this band is typically £50 to £75, which will cover most notifiable work by DIYers.

BOLLIX

Uncertainties in RIA  

There are huge uncertainties in making any of these cost benefit estimates. The RIA acknowledges the uncertainty in indirect consequences of bad wiring such as those associated with portable apparatus.  These uncertainties should have been taken account of in the RIA by risk adjusting the discount rates for the benefits. The treasury rate of 3.5% is a risk-free rate.  Adjusting the discount rates in this way would have the effect of further reducing the net benefit.  

We acknowledge these uncertainties in the RIA. Paragraph 75 addresses the uncertainty surrounding the risk reduction factor by showing that the risk reduction factors would need to be reduced by more than one fifth for the proposals to cease to be cost-effective.  

Financial expertise  

[u]From other technical errors it looks to me as if there was no expert financial advice involved in the preparation of this RIA.  For example, in the summation of costs, building control fees incurred by contractors are added to the costs incurred by building control bodies - which would not have been accepted by any of the government economists that I've ever worked with.[/u]  

Local authorities are required to recover the costs of carrying out their building control function by imposing appropriate charges. The costs incurred by building control bodies in Table 3 for receiving and archiving certificates relate to self-certified work carried out by registered installers. The building control fee shown for the electrical contracting industry and the training and recruitment costs for building control bodies relate to work by unregistered professional installers or DIYers. The charges actually applied by building control bodies to cover all their building control activities (not just Part P) must reflect these costs.  

Incidence of benefits  

In the calculation of benefits, no account is made of the incidence of these benefits.  For example, the reduction in fire damage might just be swallowed up as increased profits to insurers.    

This does not affect the calculation of overall costs and benefits addressed by the RIA. The RIA takes a national view of the costs and benefits.  

Creation of monopoly  

No account seems to have been taken of the creation of a monopoly by electrical contractors.  Certainly over the short to medium term we would expect to see a supply shortage and an effective monopoly created - as with CORGI registration.  There is no parallel proposal to limit the exploitation of a monopoly position by contractors.  Nor does it seem that OFT was consulted.  

CORGI are the single body approved as a class of persons under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations to carry out gas installation work. There is no equivalence with the provisions for the lesser hazards from electrical installations. Unlike the case of CORGI, there is no prohibition on anyone who is not registered carrying out electrical engineering work.  

Seven bodies have been authorised to run ten Part P competent person self-certification schemes, so there is no monopoly registration body as is the case with CORGI.  

The OFT was consulted but did not object.  

Number of deaths  

The RIA reports that the number of deaths through electrical fixed wiring faults is only 2.6 per year. Of these, less than one per year would be avoided through the new regulations. So the regulations represent a massively costly attempt to solve a very minor problem.  

Building Regulations cover fixed installations and so Part P applies not just to fixed wiring, but to fixed appliances as well. Statistics collected by the DTI and Home Office and analysed for the RIA show that 10 deaths a year are associated directly with fixed wiring and fixed appliances. A further 33 deaths a year according to the statistics are associated with portable appliances (televisions, washing machines, etc), but some of these will also be associated with faulty installations (for example a missing RCD or earth). The RIA makes the assumption that eight of the total of 43 deaths will be avoided by the introduction of Part P (see paragraphs 39 and 40 in the final RIA).  

Negative impact  

The RIA ignores completely the possibility of consumers improving their own installations.  For example, upgrading their consumer units to incorporate RCDs.  By increasing the cost of doing this, there could be a perverse incentive here which would result in less safe installations.  In my house, for example, I installed a split load consumer unit with RCDs which is a massive improvement on the situation when I moved in.

It is likely that the new regulations will reduce the amount of electrical work carried out by DIYers,...

SURELY THE ODPM DON'T REALLY BELIEVE THIS?

... but the intention is to reduce the amount of unchecked electrical work carried out by those who are not competent to do such work. DIYers may replace a consumer unit with a more modern one, but would themselves be at risk and the result could be a less safe installation, if the work is not done properly and if the appropriate BS 7671 tests are not carried out.  

Economic case  

Given the uncertainty in costs and benefits, I do not believe there is a proven economic case presented in the RIA and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further.  

The RIA makes a satisfactory economic case for regulation, and this is enhanced by the other considerations referred to in paragraphs 32 and 33 of the RIA.  

The government is now focusing on successful implementation.  

YEAH, REALLY!

Sources of information for accident statistics  

Please provide me with the information source or sources for the assertion  
made in yesterday's release: "Each year on average 10 people die and about 750 are seriously injured in accidents involving unsafe electrical installations in the home. In addition, in 2003 2,336 house fires were caused by faulty installations." These figures do not tally with the figures in the RIA so I wonder where you got them from.  

The figures in the RIA are based on an analysis by the Building Research Establishment (BRE) of accident statistics drawn from the DTI’s Home Accident Death Database and Home Accident Surveillance System, and from the Home Office’s FireStat database for the years between 1990 and 1999. The BRE report is in the public domain.  

The 10 deaths and 750 injuries quoted above are taken from the RIA and are associated directly with fixed wiring and fixed appliances.  

The more recent figures for house fires in 2003 were obtained by our Press Office from ODPM’s Fire Statistics and Research Branch. They are fires recorded as being associated with the electrical supply in dwellings.  

Estimates for accidents avoided  

Paragraph 40 in the RIA assumes percentage reductions as a result of the proposals being brought into effect. The precise wording is "it is considered that ...". Who made this judgement? On what basis? Is there any empirical evidence for it?  

Paragraph 39 acknowledges the difficulty of estimating the number of accidents that would be avoided, which is why a sensitivity analysis was included in the RIA at paragraph 75. The assumption of 30% and 15% reductions in accidents involving fixed installations and portable appliances respectively was based on an analysis of 498 fire accident report forms filled in by Fire Officers during 1993 and 1995. This analysis suggested that between 20% and 75% of fires associated with fixed installations might be preventable by better electrical safety regulation.  

I hope this is helpful. We would be willing to discuss this further with you if you have further questions.  

Yours sincerely  

KEN BROMLEY  

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 2:45pm

BigT - the fundamental problem with your proposals is that there is no safety justification for them.  None.  Nada.  Zip.  SFA.

So the only reason you want them is to increase your earning potential.

You talk about people giving your trade a bad name - the answer to that is better public awareness of the benefits of "registered" tradesmen (and better enforcement of standards by trade associations - how many times do we hear about cr@p work done by NICEIC contractors?)

You don't want the sale of electrical items to be restricted because millions of people are doing dodgy things, you want it because then people would have absolutely no alternative but to use you no matter how small the job.

Your ideas stink, and I hope we never see them come to pass..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:01pm

lol BAS, Whilst I agree with some of the things you say, I disagree about not banning wiring accessories, and that is because at this present time there is too little information on correct application, this has nothing to do with earning potential for me, it's to do with the fact that people are put at risk by people's poor workmanship

As it happens I was advised that electrical items would be taken of the shelf’s within 5 years time, one can only wait and see..

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:04pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1106096531/0#5 date=1106406060] people are put at risk by people's poor workmanship [/quote]
SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:40pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1106096531/0#6 date=1106406285]
SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE [/quote]

Why should I need to?

It's pretty obvious that electrically unskilled persons work can put people in danger.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:41pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:31pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1106096531/0#7 date=1106408418]

Why should I need to?

It's pretty obvious that electrically unskilled persons work can put people in danger. [/quote]

Not all non-registered persons are electrically unskilled.

Retired electricians? Employed electricians? Electricians who have got promotion to management? Electricians who work on non-residential work? Not to mention DIYers who don't have formal qualifications but nevertheless have sufficient knowledge to work on residential wiring safely.

Why shouldn't any of these people be able to purchase wiring accessories?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:48pm

[quote author=Stoday  link=1106096531/0#8 date=1106411499]

Not all non-registered persons are electrically unskilled.

Retired electricians? Employed electricians? Electricians who have got promotion to management? Electricians who work on non-residential work? Not to mention DIYers who don't have formal qualifications but nevertheless have sufficient knowledge to work on residential wiring safely [/quote]

I'm sorry but clearly we all have different views on this, for one thing I said nothing about non-registered persons, in fact I didn’t say anything about registered or un-registered persons altogether, I made a point that un-skilled people are undertaking electrical work which is dangerous and that is bad

I'm not going to argue if they do or don't because you know some people do, I know some people do, and BAS knows some people do

Quote:
Why shouldn't any of these people be able to purchase wiring accessories?

Nothing wrong with these people buying if as you say they have "sufficient knowledge to work on residential wiring safely"
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:51pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Stoday
Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 5:05pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1106096531/0#5 date=1106406060]lol BAS, Whilst I agree with some of the things you say, I disagree about not banning wiring accessories [/quote]

I have a problem reconciling this with your later statement that there's nothing wrong with skilled people being able to buy wiring accessories.

I don't think there's any fundamental disagreement between us: if someone has neither the skill nor knowledge, he should not undertake DIY.

I don't think limiting the availability of accessories is the right way to do it because it will cause problems for some people who do have the requisite skills.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 5:38pm

At the end of the day gents, only 2.6 lives per annum are lost due to faulty electrical installations, regardless as to whether or not these works have been carried out by diy or trade or registered/approved trade.

2.6! - This is what all the shouting's about. Hardly a justification to evacuate the shelves of S/F, B&Q etc.

Push this one any further and you'll end up having to register with the DIY outlet before they'll sell you anything! Now won't that be a pain in the anus on a Sunday afternoon when your wholesaler's shut and your house is in darkness for want of a replacement mcb eh?

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:41pm

Many thanks for everyones comments so far, some are very interesting and are making me re-think some of my ideas, but they were only ideas. This and any forum is no place for a heated debate and there is no need for one. Forums are for advice and a few laughs etc, if arguements start it only ruins the forum so I wont be starting a slagging match.

I have worked for NICEIC companies and have seen some shoddy workmanship, but this doesnt only apply to NICEIC companies. It should be upto the individual spark to either say when something isnt installed correctly or put it right. Quite often work is completed to a tight schedue and price, so jobs are rushed and not always installed correctly. I would rather finish a job and leave a happy customer taking time to do it right, than leave with pots of money and keep returning to do a job that should of been done correctly first time. If you have to keep returning to a job to redo something, the job is then losing you money. One unhappy customer can ruin a company, but a happy customer can recommend you many times.

I telephoned a company once for a job, they said can you rewire a house in a day as he could. I said that it was impossible to rewire a house in a day, and if he was he wasnt doing it right. I wouldnt want to work for a company who took shortcuts, as in the end you would get as bad a name as them. I would be a liar if I said that, I wouldnt like more work which part P could bring me but, my postings are about giving everyone what we want not just me.

By making all work and thats Commercial, Industrial & domestic, completed by qualified tradesmen only that will make electrical installations safer. A DIY person could own a commercial property or an industrial unit, and there are those who do do DIY electrical in them. My posting was asking for ideas to give the Government which might make them re-think Part P and make it better for all, nothing about increasing my bank account ( sheds ).

I dont agree with everything that Part P is about and especially being forced to join an orgaisation who ever it is. Also being told that all the years experience I have and qualifications, mean nothing and all electricians that dont join a scheme, are only as good as a DIY'er. Those in a scheme who call non-competant sparkies cowboys, dont understand, maybe there are reasons. I know a few sparks who did an apprenticeship, but its not recognised, or they dont have the qualifications like the 2391, but none the less they are very good sparks. I am joining a scheme in the next week or so, but I will not give up my fight to change Part P, as its totally unfair and wont make safer installations.

If you belong to a scheme or not, what you have to think about is the future and what Part P will bring. I am all for updating to any new requirements or qualifications needed, but retake qualifications I have already passed I am not. We will be sitting courses every so many years, retaking ones we already have passed and of course for a fee. If you belong to a scheme or not all electricians should be updated with any requirements regularly. How many electricians who didnt belong to a scheme, knew about Part P by letter or whatever none. I told many sparks about the new requirements, most thought I was joking. I did a JIB apprenticeship and also passed City & Guilds exams, so why is it I had to find out for myself when I should of been informed.

The Goverment bring out these new laws, but do they really think of consequencies of these I think not. In the past we had fire extinguishers of different colours for different uses, now they are all the same colour with a sticker for the use of it. During a fire do people always have time to look around for one to do a certain job, I think not. What about the new three phase colours, changing a phase colour to a neutral, I can see someone getting killed, but they will put that down to the person not knowing their job. If they want to save lives in the electrical industry, these laws should never of happened.

May I just say many thanks to those who have put this forum together, as I feel it is very good for those in the know and those that dont. I also feel it is good because you can say things without being sensored, unlike some other forums, well done to all those who run it.

regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 7:05pm

While you stated your opinion about my ideas ( sheds ) you didnt come up with any yourself. Now I know your a clever person, so come on have you any ideas we can look at. As I dont know you can you please tell me at least if your trade, an electrician or whatever, then I can maybe look at things from your angle if your not.

I am not taking the pee I am just trying to see where your coming from, if your trade or whatever. If your not trade or whatever you might not fully understand things, but I think you like everyone have a point to put across good or not.

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #14 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 9:05pm

Why not regulate it like broadcasting in the UK?.

Want to be a big boy..... buy a big boys license meet the regs relevant to your operation.
Want to be a local broadcaster buy a local licesnse & meet the regs relevant to your operation.
Want to be a ham radio operator/ do minor works get a ham ops license meet the regs relevant to your operation.
Want to just use a UHF radio for personal safety purposes, do the night course & get the ticket then obey the rules.
Certain frequency use un regulated.

So if this template was re-worked for everything from electro-mega-corp down to johnny socket swapper, then we'd have a booming system of practical & useful education, supported by a proper wrist-slapping regime when relevant.

Haven't thought out any detail yet, but it would certainly ensure people realised the level to which they should be working, or the kind of jobs they should be undertaking.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 9:58pm

[quote author=Stoday  link=1106096531/0#10 date=1106413551]
I have a problem reconciling this with your later statement that there's nothing wrong with skilled people being able to buy wiring accessories. [/quote]
Skilled persons can go to wholesalers, no need to sell to the open market

Quote:
I don't think there's any fundamental disagreement between us: if someone has neither the skill nor knowledge, he should not undertake DIY

Correct

Quote:
I don't think limiting the availability of accessories is the right way to do it because it will cause problems for some people who do have the requisite skills

Yes this is a problem, again there are wholesalers, but I can see issues in this, at the end of the day 'fundamentally' I'm only thinking the same thing as you "if someone has neither the skill nor knowledge, he should not undertake DIY"

I'm not suggesting that skilled persons should be stopped from undertaking work, I know BAS is taking all this very seriously, and I know he's getting frustrated with it all, but he is obviously in denial if he believes that there is no dangerous work done by unskilled persons
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2005, 8:05am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:07pm

people DO NOT need the proper parts to do dangerous wiring.

asside from that if you want power in a location where it is not currently availible you have 3 options (in no particular order)

1: extention leads
2: diy wiring
3: calling an electrician

option 3 is usually safe (provided you don't get a cowboy) but is also expensive and will likely get more so with the coming of part P so for some people this is simply NOT a viable option.

option 1 is hard to mess up but the finished result is prone to getting damaged and becoming dangerous especially if it stays in use for a long time. it is also generally considered untidy.

option 2 depends largely on the skill of the individual diyer.

Some (like BAS) will take the time to properly understand the regs.

Some will follow diy books that give methods cookery book style which if followed to the letter are generally safe.

some will do work with varying degrees of dodgyness ranging from slight technical noncompilance (ie lack of red sleeving on loop in lighting) through faults that could cause danger in a few fairly outlandish situations such as cables one size undersize or more than one scoket on a spur or broken rings through to really dodgy stuff like sockets wired in bellwire or 2.5mm T&E for meter tails or using a plastic jacobs buiscuit tin in place of a CU.

fact is there are some people who will get power where they want it in the amounts they want it in without knowing and/or caring if the way they do it is a fire risk. this applies whether it is fixed wiring or extention leads (bypassing plug fuses really isn't difficult you know)

even if we regulate the sale of electrical goods there is NOTHING to stop someone just wiring an extention lead into the back of a socket because it looks neater or they are already using both the sockets.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print