Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 22nd, 2024, 12:56am
Quote: War does not determine who is right - only who is left

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
City and Guilds Courses (Read 17036 times)
Chris_Rogers

Sparkx Ltd

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

City and Guilds Courses
Jan 31st, 2005, 7:21pm

Hi guys, was lookin for your advice. I'm competitant and wishing to do City and Guilds 2381 and 2391. I would ideally like to do them in as shorter space as possible. Anyone know who offers courses lasting a few days? Preferably in the london area / Hertfrodshire/ Buckinghamshire area.

Many Thanks

Chris

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: City and Guilds Courses
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2005, 1:17am

you must have 2330 or 2361
2330 is 1 year at full time course
as is 2361 or day release.

these are entry level requirements for the 16th edition and test and inspection

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2005, 1:52am

im sure i've heared of places offering 2391 to those with no more than 2381.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:21am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1107199294/0#2 date=1107222736]im sure i've heared of places offering 2391 to those with no more than 2381. [/quote]

Two years ago I got my 2381, and I booked myself on the 2391 which was running straight after. I got a place no problem.

Funnily enough I then cancelled off the 2391 - because I found that part P was pending and I didn't know if I would be wasting my time and money - no-one at that time knew whether part P would require statutary spark qualifications which I might not have, so I backed out of 2391 whilst the world waited for its full disclosure.

Now I'm not ever going to bother with 2391. I have instead withdrawn from doing much electrical work - the odd light fitting change (not in a kitchen) maybe but I stop there.

End result of part p in this instance? I never learnt to test electrical installations despite occasionally working on them - and all because of part P. If part P hadn't been there I'd have done 2391 and no doubt have been better equipped with more knowledge.

HM

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2005, 9:33am

Hello Chris_Rogers

What SS has said is correct, however you can undertake the 2381 without any previous qualification's, a large number of BT guy's go on this course and most will have no electrical experience.

Like PW suggested, there are some colleges that will take you on 2391 with minimum qualifications, however most don't want to run the risk you won't get trough the course as it looks bad on them, and that is why there are entry requirements, as it happens, unless you have electrical knowledge already, you will struggle to get trough testing, and you won't know the reason’s why we do what we do.

I would strongly suggest doing the 10-week courses held by most colleges as there is a higher success rate than the 2-day/3-day courses, and the shorter courses can cost more.

Take a look at this link to get an idea of the cost of the short course

http://www.techniquetraining.co.uk/electrical%20short%20courses.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005, 9:34am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2005, 5:52pm

well, according to city and guilds, you MUST have 2381 to get on 2391.

to get on 2381 you MUST have 2330 parts 1 2 and 3

or you must have 2361

thats straight from the c+g cos i dident wanna bother with 2381

so whatever these courses are allowing you to do without part 1 and 2 then it cant be the full 2381 or must be missing something.

also, it wouldent look good if you say to somone "i have 2381 and 2391......."

there first question will be
".....wheres 2361?"

ss

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2005, 6:54pm

is this a new rule SS?  I've got my 2381 and hope to start a 2391 course this year.

However I don't have 2330 or 2361  Embarrassed (how did they let me do the 2381 course and exam?)

Does this mean I can't do 2391?

In any event, 2391 is not a requirement for part p registration is it?  I know you have to be 'up to speed' with testing and inspecting but I didn't think 2391 was an actual requirement.

Am I wrong?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:22pm

must be new, i asked about doin what i say above 2 weeks ago.

and yes you need 2391 to be deemed compitant to self certify

ss

IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2005, 7:28pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1107199294/0#5 date=1107280332]well, according to city and guilds, you MUST have 2381 to get on 2391.

or you must have 2361

thats straight from the c+g cos i dident wanna bother with 2381

so whatever these courses are allowing you to do without part 1 and 2 then it cant be the full 2381 or must be missing something.

there first question will be
".....wheres 2361?"

ss [/quote]

Not so, I did my 2381 (exam only) at a local college. I was never asked for anything, other than a cheque for £25.  From my research, it is the course provider that make recommendations as to the entry requirements. Many colleges advise having electrical installation experience and a familiarity with the application of the regulations as a prerequisite for entry to 2381.  The reason for this being that 2381 is essentially 'refresher course'.

I am booked to do my 2391 with another provider, again exam and practical test only. this time the fees are £30 for the exam and £100 for the practical. They did not ask if I had my 2381 either.

The short courses that accompany the exams are, essentially, exam preparation courses.  There are other ways to prepare for exams eg stelf study.  
As for Part P, it depends on the scheme you join and the level of work wish to carry out.  I want to join Napit Level A - Full scope scheme, thus require both 2381 and 2391.

However I did not start from scratch, I have an HNC in Electrical Engineering and a few year of domestic work (albeit occasional) behind me.  All I want to be is a knowledgable, competent and properly certified person to carry out domestic work.  

Just a final comment, if you have little or no backgroud in electrical work beware the outfits that claim 'be a quailified spark in 8 weeks'.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005, 9:56pm by get_it_done »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2005, 9:04pm

well, the above is what i was told BY CITY AND GUILDS 2 WEEKS AGO.

NOT by a college

if they are wrong about their courses, please correct them for me  8)

either that or the person i spoke to dosnt know... its a possibility, but i would have thaught they would have passed me to somone who knows rather than do what the niceic do and make it up.....

ss

IP Logged

Chris_Rogers

Sparkx Ltd

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2005, 9:07pm

Hi guys, thanx for the replies.

In regards to the longer courses being better, especially for the 2391 course, i have ordered myself a set of test gear so i can get to grips with the ideas ahead of a course.

Would also appriciate it if you could recomend any books i should buy!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2005, 10:03pm

[quote author=Chris_Rogers  link=1107199294/0#10 date=1107292071]
Would also appriciate it if you could recomend any books i should buy! [/quote]

I assume you have a current copy of BS7671 and OSG

add to this

IEE Guidance Note 3
Health & Saftery  GS38
Scaddan book Inspection and Testing (ISBN: 0750665416)
Memorandum of Guidance on THe Electricity at Work Regulations 1998

good luck

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:00pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1107199294/0#5 date=1107280332]well, according to city and guilds, you MUST have 2381 to get on 2391.

or you must have 2361

thats straight from the c+g cos i dident wanna bother with 2381 [/quote]
As far as I was aware it was a recommendation by C&G, will see if I can find the information...

Quote:

Highly unlikely

Quote:

But people would be silly if they thought they were an electrician just by taking 238 & 239 courses, there add on courses to existing qualifications

I think you will find the 2381 course is pretty much open to anyone to take

Quote:
Hi guys, thanx for the replies.

In regards to the longer courses being better, especially for the 2391 course, i have ordered myself a set of test gear so i can get to grips with the ideas ahead of a course

You will need to, 2391 expects you to have at least some knowledge in the field of testing and make's an assumption you are already actively inspecting and testing electrical installations..
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2005, 11:06pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:10pm

[quote author=Chris_Rogers  link=1107199294/0#10 date=1107292071]

Would also appriciate it if you could recomend any books i should buy! [/quote]
One extra book I'd recommend is "Inspection, Testing and Certification (May 2004)"   £25.  Available direct from NICEIC website.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:14pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107199294/0#12 date=1107298856]

2391 expects you to have at least some knowledge in the field of testing and make's an assumption you are already actively inspecting and testing electrical installations..
[/quote]
but as from Jan 1st you won't be actively inspecting and testing unless you're already registered, in which case you've already got 2391

ok, you could be inspecting and testing 'for fun' but unless you're with a 'scheme' your inspections and tests mean nothing  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #15 - Feb 1st, 2005, 11:22pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1107199294/0#14 date=1107299681]
but as from Jan 1st you won't be actively inspecting and testing unless you're already registered, in which case you've already got 2391

ok, you could be inspecting and testing 'for fun' but unless you're with a 'scheme' your inspections and tests mean nothing  Sad [/quote]

Which mean's what Jerry......................It means it's now impossible for you to get into domestic work unless you're working for a company..it mean's lots of other things too...

IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:29am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1107199294/0#14 date=1107299681]

ok, you could be inspecting and testing 'for fun' but unless you're with a 'scheme' your inspections and tests mean nothing  Sad [/quote]

My understanding is that you do not require either 2391 or be in a 'Comepent Person Scheme' to carry out testing. (see page 8 of the ODPM Part doc).  Possession of a 2391 cert would be one way of showing competence.  

Part P relates to notifiable work only.  If no work has been carried out it does not apply.  A PIR is not notifiable and can be carried out by someone who can demonstrate competence and follow BS7671.  The issue of a PIR certificate is part of BS7671 that is why they are freely available  from the IEE.

However, it is no longer possible to issue an EIC unless you are a member of a Competent Person scheme as this would involve notifiable work.

Most schemes require 2391 or other prove of competence if you are carring out work that will require an EIC.

You can however issue a MWC without being a member of a scheme but can demonstrate competence.

In my own circumstances, it is perfectly possible for me to do domstic work.  If it is within the scope of Part P then I have to notify the LABC and pay £37. They will then inspect on 1st fix and be present when I test and certify.  This allows me to get the work done I need to show for the scheme 'assessment'.

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:30am by get_it_done »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print