Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 3:47pm
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
City and Guilds Courses (Read 17030 times)
LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: City and Guilds Courses
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:00am

Don't be forgetting part-p only applies to domestic work, you can issue a certificate for commercial and industrial work aka non part-p applicable work  Wink

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:41pm

[quote author=get_it_done  link=1107199294/15#16 date=1107304194]However, it is no longer possible to issue an EIC unless you are a member of a Competent Person scheme [/quote]
Of course you can.

Read what an EIC says, and tell me where the bit about being a member of a Competent Person scheme is...

Those schemes, and the concept of self-certifying are nothing to do with the wiring regs, EICs, MWCs etc etc, they are entirely to do with certifying compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations - something completely different.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 1:36pm

Here we go, love it  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 1:36pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

get_it_done
Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 3:44pm

[quote author=ban-all-sheds  link=1107199294/15#18 date=1107434467]
Those schemes, and the concept of self-certifying are nothing to do with the wiring regs, EICs, MWCs etc etc, they are entirely to do with certifying compliance with Part P of the Building Regulations - something completely different. [/quote]

Bas are you suggesting that there is some other way of certifying complience with Part P. If so, I would be interested to hear of this.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2005, 7:32pm

the statutory instrument itself makes no mention of BS7671 or any other standards

the approved document mentions BS7671 but in no way states you must follow it.

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2005, 5:50pm

Hi,
In coming June I'll finish the 2360 part 2, according to c&G and the college I'll not need to do 2381 (16th eddition), it comes with this course.  The other point that I would like to make is that when I'm driving my car I follow the rulles, this is not because of the idiots in the government but because I think that this is important and I understand the risque to me and/or others if I don't, I have the same approach to my qualifications I could, may be, skip 2391, by finding a lot of convincing reasons, but instaed I already registered to do the  2391, which will start in April and this is not because of the ODPM, but because I want to know and understand... dealing with other people's safety is quiet a big responsibility...
Albert
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 5:52pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2005, 7:13pm

[quote author=get_it_done  link=1107199294/15#20 date=1107445446]

Bas are you suggesting that there is some other way of certifying complience with Part P. If so, I would be interested to hear of this. [/quote]
No - there is no other way.  The only people who can certify compliance with the Building Regulations are Building Inspectors or people who belong to one of the approved schemes which make them competent to self-certify their own work.  For Part P there is NICEIC, NAPIT etc etc.  For Part L there is FENSA.  FAIK there are other schemes for other self-certification competencies.

But all of these are to do with cerification of compliance with the Building Regulations.   As I said, they are nothing to do with the wiring regs, EICs, MWCs etc etc.  The fact that you are competent to certify compliance with BS7671, and issue an EIC means that you are competent to certify compliance with BS7671, and that's all.   It does not mean that you are considered competent to certify compliance with the Building Regulations.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:33pm by ban-all-sheds »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2005, 7:55pm

[quote author=akuk  link=1107199294/15#22 date=1112201440]Hi,
In coming June I'll finish the 2360 part 2 [/quote]
Well done

Quote:
according to c&G and the college I'll not need to do 2381 (16th eddition), it comes with this course.

I'm sorry, but this is just not true, I am concerned if C&G have said this. You work to 16th eddition regulations, but you have not done the course. C&G2381 is a course that's JUST about the regulation's, you would cover the whole book, and this builds on what you have already learnt and used.

Some firms will not take you on unless you have C&G2381, regardless of what you may or my not have already, if you want to cover you're self and have something extra for the CV I would strongly reccomend doing it, however there's no hurry, if where you work or plan to work doesnt require it then don't do it, if they require it later they should pay for the course.

Quote:
I have the same approach to my qualifications I could, may be, skip 2391, by finding a lot of convincing reasons, but instaed I already registered to do the  2391, which will start in April and this is not because of the ODPM, but because I want to know and understand... dealing with other people's safety is quiet a big responsibility...

I agree, and I like you're responsible attitude, if you enjoy the subject then 2391 should be good fun, most of the testing you will or should have covered in 236PT2, if you havent yet, you may before the end.

Question: are you taking the practical element of part2, or just the theory side?, practical is optional, but you would finish long before july if just taking theory.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2005, 7:56pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2005, 10:30pm

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is just not true, I am concerned if C&G have said this. You work to 16th eddition regulations, but you have not done the course. C&G2381 is a course that's JUST about the regulation's, you would cover the whole book, and this builds on what you have already learnt and used.

Some firms will not take you on unless you have C&G2381, regardless of what you may or my not have already, if you want to cover you're self and have something extra for the CV I would strongly reccomend doing it, however there's no hurry, if where you work or plan to work doesnt require it then don't do it, if they require it later they should pay for the course

I thing you should check it again, I'm an emgineer in general mechanics, I decided to change direction and for the last 3 years I am following the 2360 course P1 and P2, this courses are based on 16th edition, the oldest version I know about is the blue book.  I know that it is important so I asked the C&G, NIC and in college, and the reply was that after the end of part 2 we will not have to do 2381, check it and if you know something different I would like to know

Quote:
Question: are you taking the practical element of part2, or just the theory side?, practical is optional, but you would finish long before july if just taking theory.

Sorry I don't know about these options can you give some more details?

When I started there was no option of practical part, it is possible that this college does not run this course or it is included but they did not specify

In part 1 we had half of the time spent in the workshop but I don't think that this is what you mean

Thanks Albert
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:50am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2005, 12:46am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107199294/15#24 date=1112208938]
I thing you should check it again, I'm an emgineer in general mechanics, I decided to change direction and for the last 3 years I am following the 2360 course P1 and P2, this courses are based on 16th edition, the oldest version I know about is the blue book.  I know that it is important so I asked the C&G, NIC and in college, and the reply was that after the end of part 2 we will not have to do 2381, check it and if you know something different I would like to know [/quote]
The problem lies in the wording, they say you don't have to......you don't, but you may go later to a company and find they insist on it, telling them you don't need to do it won't go very far, as I said before, it's certainly nothing to be hasty about, and you'd be advised to leave it until someone asks for it as they may fund it if they require it

Quote:
Sorry I don't know about these options can you give some more details?

Sure, when we went trough part-2, the college centre gave us the option of doing part-2 practical, or just doing the theory, and I was more than looking forward to doing the practical so went ahead, having said that the joint industry board make a requirement to have completed practical elements of the course and therefore it's certainly worth doing.

It may be that they don't give you the option and you just do both, we were given the choice, doing just the theory side and exam would mean you finish a few months before the course end date, something like march I think..

Quote:
When I started there was no option of practical part, it is possible that this college does not run this course or it is included but they did not specify

The best person to speak to if you want to find out more would be the lecturer, as they handle all the course material afterall

Quote:
In part 1 we had half of the time spent in the workshop but I don't think that this is what you mean

this is strictly part-2, part-1 is a combination of both, I have a feeling you may have done the practical as standard, how many certificate's do you have in total - just for part-2?

btw, apologies about you're post, clicked wrong button  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:47am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #27 - Apr 3rd, 2005, 8:32pm

In order to register with any of the Part P schemes you must be a qualified spark, thus simply having the 2381 and 2391 will not be sufficient.

And no disrespect to those here that fit into this group, I do not see how you can be competent to assess the work of a qualified spark/engineer when you are not.

This is the fecking problem in this country. All of us that strive to get qualified and stay up with the changes by "requalifying" are being "undermined" by those who are not fully trained and thus cannot be fully competent. It is about time this practice was outlawed.

I'm sorry if the above comment offends or annoys those here that are not fully qualified, but I am sorry, like a lot of those here I am fully qualified and damned well competent, and I do not see why people without the formal qualifications can call themselves sparks or think they have the knowledge and experience to assess our work..and earn the same money we do!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #28 - Apr 3rd, 2005, 9:50pm

spot on Wink

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #29 - Apr 4th, 2005, 12:36am

Quote:
In order to register with any of the Part P schemes you must be a qualified spark, thus simply having the 2381 and 2391 will not be sufficient.

Not the case though is it Jim

Quote:
All of us that strive to get qualified and stay up with the changes by "requalifying" are being "undermined" by those who are not fully trained

yep

Quote:
and I do not see why people without the formal qualifications can call themselves sparks or think they have the knowledge and experience to assess our work..and earn the same money we do!!

sucks don't it

" He carefully follows BS 7671 requirements when doing electrical installation work. He sometimes works with a competent but unqualified electrician"
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 1:34am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #30 - Apr 4th, 2005, 1:44pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107199294/15#26 date=1112312772]
this is strictly part-2, part-1 is a combination of both, I have a feeling you may have done the practical as standard, how many certificate's do you have in total - just for part-2?

btw, apologies about you're post, clicked wrong button Roll Eyes [/quote]
I will ask of course, the course consists of 2 subjects: Electrical installation and Science, the first one seems to me like the more practical side of the course, it includs all the subjects that relate to circuit/circuits installaton, CU selection (includind the MCBs, RCDs, main switch etc.), cable calculation, BS7671- definitions, findin information, using tables, diversity etc. The other part is all the magnetism subject, motors , generators, lighting (Luminous intensity etc.), Star and Delta supply etc.  We have to sit 2 tests one for each subject, and each one of them will provide a certificate (the exams are in mid. June). To answer your question is that I will have 2 certificats for part 2.
I detailed all the above so you wiil see what we are doing in the course and tell me what do you think; is it a combined course?
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 1:56pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #31 - Apr 4th, 2005, 2:37pm

Hello AKUK

Thanks for the reply, it would seem you are doing both as you are doing both exams, there are infact 4 certificates (see below), the main thing is that you do the practical exercises..

• Electrical Science & Principles
  • Electrical Installation
  • Assignments & Practical exercises
  • End Certificate, listing all that you passed
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 2:38pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

akuk
Reply #32 - Apr 4th, 2005, 2:51pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1107199294/30#31 date=1112621864]Hello AKUK

Thanks for the reply, it would seem you are doing both as you are doing both exams, there are infact 4 certificates (see below), the main thing is that you do the practical exercises..

• Electrical Science & Principles
  • Electrical Installation
  • Assignments & Practical exercises
  • End Certificate, listing all that you passed
[/quote]

yes it sounds right, I did not mention the 3 assignments that wil provide a certificate, (in principal it is exactly as part one; 1 cert for asignments, 1 cert for electronics and for Elec instal and one for passing the course.
So it seems that I am doing the right thing...
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 2:54pm by akuk »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #33 - Apr 4th, 2005, 4:48pm

Hello again

With regard to certificates, along with the 3 assignments, you should be undergoing practical competencies, this would involve doing tests on equipment, making measurements watts/amps and also commissioning circuits/motors etc

If you're not getting to do this, you're not getting value for money, also it is not exactly the same as part-1 as there is no electronics exam.

I think you need to be asking if you will be getting any practical workshop experience out of you're course

best regards

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print