Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 3rd, 2024, 10:31am
Quote: The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Garage floor (Read 18566 times)
john59
GDPR opt-out

Re: Garage floor
Reply #34 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:17am

"I don't think the sort of insulation used under laminate will do you much good it is too thin and don't be tempted to put any felt, old carpet etc underneath, it will almost certainly smell in the long term and make the floor creak"

Did I say that?  Shocked Smiley. Or was you just advising me there, point taken anyway, makes sense really.
Brushed the concrete and sealed with PVA today ready for the self levelling compound, do I mix that quite runny ?or would you put  down another coat of PVA?
Regards.
John.

IP Logged

sailfishoney
GDPR opt-out

Reply #35 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 4:13am

[quote author=john59  link=1123786176/0#0 date=1123786176]Hi all, At the moment I am erecting a concrete sectional garage onto the existing concrete garage floor. The purpose of the garage is not for the car but as a home cinama.  I know the proceedure regarding screeding and such to make the floor warm and level ready for the final covering (carpets) but I have a problem, the door that I am fitting is 81 inches tall (frame) and from the base of the garage to the top of the  wall plate that I will be putting on measures 82 and a half inches so I only have inch and a half for the screed and the carpet, are you with me so far. Apart from sand and cement screed is there any other method I could use to creat a warm sound floor.
Regards.
John. [/quote]Hi I am from the states. florida actually and we do not need heated floor systems here so I am not familuar with heat flooring. this might sound crazy to you but why can't you buy a custom door and frame that is the exact height you need. when you build up your floors your door is allways one of your first consideration. here we tile mostly on concrete and when we install carpet it is right to the concrete with tac strips and tile infront of door way.is tiled no frozen toes here. I read your post again. can you pull the header board at the top where the top of the frame will go and build a higher support so the door will fit, I had to do this when I added french doors to my bedroom after talking out a single door. I hope this is not confusing to you.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #36 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:51am

John the only reason I mentioned felt etc was in case you thought it may be an idea to put it under the Extratherm to just take out a few bumps, I know you never mentioned it Wink

As for the self levelling, mix as per the instructions, an electric mixer is easiest, one of those paint stirring attachments on an electric drill works fine if you keep the speed down.

As for putting it down it is very hard to get a perfect finish, it does self level but not a lot and don't be tempted to keep trowelling it, get it as good as you can then leave it.

I find it best to trowel a very thin covering then, while it is still wet, put a thicker coat on. As I said it doesn't need to be perfect Smiley

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #37 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 8:00am

[quote author=sailfishoney  link=1123786176/30#35 date=1124680432]
Hi I am from the states. florida actually and we do not need heated floor systems here [/quote]

Oh I am soooo envious but welcome to the forum Cheesy

I don't know about John's door situation but custom doors are expensive, or is it that factory made doors are so cheap Undecided ...yes.... definately the latter

Keith

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

john59
Reply #38 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:25am

Thanks again Keith for the reply and to you sailfishoney Smiley and welcome to the forum.
Regarding the mix, If I mix it like a very sloppy plaster mix with my drill and paddle mixer that should do the trick Smiley.
Thanks again for the input guys.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print