Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 15th, 2024, 3:38am
Quote: History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting Worktop (Read 3450 times)
House_Basher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Fitting Worktop
Dec 29th, 2005, 10:01pm

I am a jobbing builder and have scribed in a number of 'L' shaped worktops but have always passed over jobs involving 'U' shaped worktops. I am about to fit my old mans kitchen and that will involve a 'U' shaped arrangement of worktop. I can't pass this one over. Any advice/tips. I have a Trend worktop jig - the middle size one.
Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Fitting Worktop
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2005, 1:05pm

Hi the , and firstly WELCOME to this here site/forum!!!

in answer to this question , i would carry out the following, always start with the "base" section of the "U" shape,  to get the distance for the start of each router cut (at the bullnosed edge) find the distance between the opposite set of cabinets, then deduct the overhang of the worktops TWICE, one for each side!!! then start by cutting the scribed joint for the one that will be on show more!!, once routed, workout where the opposite scribe, should go, and then route this one!!, MAKING ANY ALLOWANCES FOR THE ROOM NOT BEING QUITE SQUARE!!(it should tell you all about this in your instructions that came with the jig, being a TREND item!)  once the base part is done, measure out the "LEGS" of the "U" shape, and if worktop to spare leave about 300MM over length, just incase!! cut each corrisponding scribe, and offer up, if the joint is ok, then measure to length, ALLOWING a couple (2-3MM) over, so when pulled tight, with the under bolts, it allows for any slight compression!! (DO A DRY RUN FIRST!!on each joint,) then cut the second "leg" of the "U" once you are happy with them , assemble all 3 parts, using a proper joint sealant/adhesive!!!
normally i personally assemble all the worktops, Then fix to carcases to make sure it is totally square on all sides to the carcases!!
hope this helps, and does not sound like i am trying to teach you to suck eggs!!!
regards matt

no doubt, the others on here will correct or add little tips if required!!! (NO DOUBT!!)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2005, 1:06pm

oh yeah! nearly forgot, as it is your dad's kitchen, make sure you use a new or VERY CLEAN and SHARP router bit!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2005, 8:56am

House basher if you have already fitted L shaped worktops then you are ⅔ of the way there Wink

This is a site which gives a detailed list of instructions which you may well find usefull.

http://www.kitchensfitted.co.uk/ExternalMedia/article5.php

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2005, 7:13pm

Keith, I've just done one that went round four walls, does this mean that I am already there and part way back Roll Eyes

As keith says, if you are OK on L shapes then U's etc are not too much of a problem, just measure several times before cutting.

Wolf has covered most things, but you may have to place the male/female to suit the lengths of worktop available, The one below actually needed the center of the U to be 3020mm so I used the spare 50mm that they give you, and it was cut down from a 900mm top to 740mm wide to fill in the reveals of the low window panels.

Here it is and the next two as well, bit toom much grey for my taste, would have gone for a lighter floor at least.

Jason
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2006, 9:45am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2006, 9:45am

Worktops to 4 walls, I thought you found a gadget so you could beam the client in and out of the kitchen Roll Eyes

See what you mean about the grey, really needs a bigger room to get away such a dark colour, still the customer is always right Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print