Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 19th, 2024, 4:52am
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Iroko - Cutting etc. (Read 1563 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Iroko - Cutting etc.
May 14th, 2008, 5:02pm

I am refurbishing an old Victorian cast iron garden bench that has been in the family for years.  It is missing its seat so I am going to install Iroko cut to around 2 1/2" wide by about 1"  thick. Length of the seat is 47".

Any special care or precautions I need to take when cutting, routing and sanding please?  Also is it compatible with iron as I previously used Oak and had to keep it clear of the framework.

Cast iron parts have been stripped right back and treated with the paint as suggested by someone for my other project. Boy am I glad I am retired Roll Eyes

Many thanks

Bayden

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Iroko - Cutting etc.
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2008, 5:37pm

Some people have more of a reaction than others. Provided you use some form of dust extraction with all your power tools as well as a face mask you should be OK. Open up the workshop when not using the power tools to allow any fine dust to escape as thats what you tend to breathe in as most people take the mask off when not actually cutting/sanding etc

I've not had problems with Iroko & Ferrious metals, done several doors & windows with it using steel hinges & screws and black "forged" type ironmongery.

Jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print