Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
part p (Read 25130 times)
jim123
GDPR opt-out

part p
Feb 19th, 2005, 8:33pm

Hi, was looking for some advice.

I’m a 16th edition trained electrician, working in industry.
I have previously helped out family by small installation work sockets lights etc...
I was looking at becoming part p registered, or being able to self-certify my domestic work.
Can you tell me if it would be practical for me to train and register, or would it be too difficult, as I don’t do a lot of domestic work?
Do I need to get my work assessed when getting registered?
Any further info on self-certification, training etc would be appreciated

Thanks

James

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: part p
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2005, 8:50pm

Hello Jim

Minor work's such as additional sockets or light's are considered minor work's and therefore not notifiable, so unless you're changing fuse board's it's not going to be worth you’re while.

If you were looking to join a scheme you will have to do a cost analysis, the schemes all require to see you're work except NAPIT I believe, who will accept you with all the right bit's of paper!

When you say 16th edition trained electrician, I assume that the 16th edition certificate is not you're only training?

The schemes require formal qualification's including 2391 (testing and inspection certificate)

If you don't do allot of domestic work I would advise against it registering as part-p only applies to domestic work

For link's to all the self-certification schemes or for what is and isnt notifiable work see DIY Electrical work & Part P

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jim123
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2005, 8:57pm

Hey thanks for the reply.
No the 16th isn’t my only training, I’m time served in electrical maintenance and installation...

Don’t think I have inspection and testing cert, but it’s a while since I looked what I have got.

Basically what your saying is, as long as the circuit is not a new installation, and is not being changed in a significant way, there is no issue. With the exception of bathrooms and kitchens I assume?

Thanks for the info though

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2005, 9:17pm

[quote author=jim123  link=1108845227/0#2 date=1108846649]Hey thanks for the reply.
No the 16th isn’t my only training, I’m time served in electrical maintenance and installation... [/quote]
No probs there then

Quote:
Don’t think I have inspection and testing cert, but it’s a while since I looked what I have got.

They do want you to have it, even tho it only last's 3 years they wrekon, then they like you to re-take it  Roll Eyes, but doubt that really happens  8)

Quote:
Basically what your saying is, as long as the circuit is not a new installation, and is not being changed in a significant way, there is no issue. With the exception of bathrooms and kitchens I assume?

Easier to look at as, as long as the circuit does not extend to a new circuit, as in you're working on an exsisting circuit, and that circuit is not in a special location e.g. bathroom or kitchen, AND the circuit changes will not put undue strain on the electrical installation, then it's OK  8)

Lot's to think about, again I think have listed all the conditions of minor work's in the part-p info page, but always other thing's to think about, the link's to the Part-p document's are also in there, worth a read for people thinking of registering
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2005, 9:19pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2005, 12:15pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/0#1 date=1108846226]If you were looking to join a scheme you will have to do a cost analysis, the schemes all require to see you're work except NAPIT I believe, who will accept you with all the right bit's of paper! [/quote]

Not so. I believe the fast-track scheme, which ran at the end of last year as time was running out, allowed you a quick registration pending assessment, but NAPIT still require you to show your work and demonstrate your competence in testing.

Incidentally, I had a phone call the other day from a NAPIT high-up (I'm sure he said he was CEO, but I couldn't find his name in the paperwork or on the website) in response to some queries I'd lodged about their paperwork. He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications.

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2005, 1:22pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1108845227/0#4 date=1108901739]He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications. [/quote]That's because the organisations running the schemes, particularly NICEIC and the ECA, don't really care about your qualifications - they just want your money, the amount of which is payable on the basis of a charging structure designed to give large companies a distinct advantage over small and OMB operations.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2005, 10:21pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1108845227/0#4 date=1108901739]

Not so. I believe the fast-track scheme, which ran at the end of last year as time was running out, allowed you a quick registration pending assessment, but NAPIT still require you to show your work and demonstrate your competence in testing. [/quote]
Strange because that's not the way it came across on there site at the time, perhaps there being more selective now, NICEIC never seem sure of there exact requirements, If you ever come across the actualy bit's of paper needed, set aside any inspecting of work, let me now ding  Wink

Quote:
Incidentally, I had a phone call the other day from a NAPIT high-up (I'm sure he said he was CEO, but I couldn't find his name in the paperwork or on the website) in response to some queries I'd lodged about their paperwork. He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications

Nothing new there then, just as I said above it's not really very clear, it angers me because it should be set in stone what there requirements are with regards to qualification's for the defined competence's, full/domestic, and also what inspection's they will wish to make and on what type installations  Roll Eyes

Quote:
That's because the organisations running the schemes, particularly NICEIC and the ECA, don't really care about your qualifications - they just want your money

Yea, well that's always been pretty obvious too..

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2005, 5:36pm

Few weeks ago I had a discution about the part P (who haven't?), one of the replys was that part P is only recommendations and has nothing to do with BS7671, which I did not completely agreed with.  I checked this issue of part P in the college, the explanation was that part P is part of the bulding regulations and therefor it is a legal document, I asked why it is clearly written that these are recommendations, the reply was that they left opening for R&D and new systems, if part P would not have this recommendation issue in it there would not be possible to disgin new systems and ideas...
So I will be interested to here what you experts think, as I am stil confused as before! :P
Albert

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2005, 12:39am

Quote:
one of the replys was that part P is only recommendations and has nothing to do with BS7671, which I did not completely agreed with

Well you see, strictly speaking thats correct, BS 7671 and part-p are different

but some people I know won't agree, because they can't see outside the box, they are both electricaly related regulations, one statutory and one that's not generaly speaking..

Quote:
the explanation was that part P is part of the bulding regulations and therefor it is a legal document

Yes

Quote:
I asked why it is clearly written that these are recommendations

Where does it say they are reccomendations?
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005, 12:40am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2005, 1:55am

Albert - you're still confused.

"Part P" 1) The Building Regulations, which are statutory, now have a new part.  It is Part P, and the official definition of it is here: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm .  If you read that, you will see that it makes no requirement to implement BS7671.

"Part P" 2) The Approved Document, one of a series explaining, and expanding on the legislation, and like all the other Approved Documents, listing possible way(s) in which the legal requirements can be met, is just that - only an explanation etc, and as they all say:

Approved Documents are intended to provide
guidance for some of the more common
building situations. However, there may well be
alternative ways of achieving compliance with
the requirements. Thus there is no obligation
to adopt any particular solution contained in
an Approved Document if you prefer to meet
the relevant requirement in some other way.

So adherence to BS7671 is a way to meet requirement P1 of the Building Regulations, but it is not the only way.  It is sufficient, but not necessary.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 6:52am

The simple fact is though in Jim123's case, it will not be cost effective to register on any of the Part P robbery schemes as he would be looking at a minimum opf £600 in order to register.

For the works he does annually that would fall under Part P, it is simply not viable.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 7:37pm

[quote author=Jim Franklin  link=1108845227/0#10 date=1111474374]The simple fact is though in Jim123's case, it will not be cost effective to register on any of the Part P robbery schemes as he would be looking at a minimum opf £600 in order to register.

For the works he does annually that would fall under Part P, it is simply not viable. [/quote]

This is exactly the situation I find myself in.  As a builder of extensions I do electrical work only as part of my main trade.  However the convenience of doing the electrical work myself is considerable, not having to wait for anyone to turn up/last minute changes/unforseen bits and bobs etc.

But the cost of compliance with a 'scheme' is prohibitive.

But also charging my customers for BCO inspections is prohibitive too.

wtf is a guy to do?  I'm just out to earn a living by doing a quality job but within a fixed budget.

These ODPM tossers have competely f*cked that up for me.

I'm in favour of everyone being 'qualified' before touching leccy work but I'm NOT in favour of the COST of PartP.  For me it's a killer, tempting me to go illegal.

Good Laws don't encourage citizens to go 'illegal'  Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:16pm

Agreed 100% jerry  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:25pm

Jerry do you not have a notification in for the job anyway with the local BCB if it's an extension? If so the electrical work just gets notified on the plans by including the note about all works being to BS7671 inorder to comply with PartP. You don't need another notification, or to pay for a specific electrical inspection by the BCO. You will need to have an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work to show and copy to the BCO. You can issue this yourself if you are 'competent' & have the calibrated test kit, most BCBs seem to be accepting the G&G 2391 cert as proof of competence to issue an EIC.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:59pm

Hi Beanzy.  Being 'competent' means being a paid up member of a scheme doesn't it?  Surely just having 2381 and 2391 does not qualify anymore.  That's what all the ruck is about?

If we only needed 2381 + 2391 then nothing's changed.  But the way I see it I need to be a member of a scheme to self certify.  I cant afford this on the small amount of leccy work I do per year.

Are you saying that some BCO offices ARE allowing 'non scheme' electricians to self certify?  That's not what PartP says.  If we go down this route we are breaking the law surely?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:23pm

No you won't be 'Self-Certifying' you'll be using the buildings Notification route. You'll be issuing Electrical Installation Certificates as part of that process. These have to be issued by the person doing the design, installation, inspection& testing of the work. Self-certification schemes are to avoid the notification process until completion of the work, where you just notify it as compliant and avoid the Building Regulations process. You definitely don't have to be a member of any scheme to issue an EIC, you just have to be competent and equipped to do so. The EIC will be part of the paperwork the BCO will require to issue the completion notice to you.

If you check out this PDF from the District Surveyors Authority you'll see the guidlines the LABCBs are working to:- http://www.lxsouth.co.uk/dsa-partp.pdf

If you already are in the notification process for all your work, then joining a scheme would be a waste. I'd say long-term, as you've been doing this electrical work for years,  gaining competence & equipment to sign off BS7671 EICs (do the 2381 & 2391) would be a better use of your time and money. Don't 'crash course it if you want to really learn from the 2381, I'd find a local college where you can go steady and get time to absorb the details. If you're unsure of any aspect of what you do, you'll soon spot the gaps when you get fully familiar with BS7671 while boning up for the C&G exams. (Ask HM about the eye opener doing the C&G2381 can be) Then fill these gaps with practice and having someone 'mentor' your progress.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:56pm

Hi Beanzy.  I already have CG 2381  Cheesy  and was considering doing the 2391 but places on courses are a problem around here. I have the testing equipment needed (Fluke 1652 but uncalibrated  Sad).

All my building jobs are BCO controlled as you rightly say.

So are you saying I can do my own EIC or Minor works Certs as required without PartP scheme membership?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print