part p (Read 25124 times)
Curious

just wondering

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: part p
Reply #51 - Mar 28th, 2005, 5:49pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#50 date=1112024892]
in answer to you're question, we use a shorting lead to make a loop, a loop that consists of r1 and r2, where
r1 is you're phase conductor and
r2 is you're circuit protective conductor (CPC)

so in essence we short phase to earth so we include both phase and earth when testing, we are then including both cable's or paths in our test..

this does however have nothing to do with insulation tests, you would not create any shorts normaly whilst undertaking insulation tests, only in certain circumstances where equipment is liable to be damaged by test voltages
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply  L.Spark

I am  going  nuts   because when i was on a 2391 course , for some reason, we used a shorting lead on a 3 PHASE system when doing insulation + polarity ,which dare I say/in my opinion  Embarrassed   is not right, is it?

Cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #52 - Mar 28th, 2005, 5:56pm

I suspect on 3 phase, you shorted the 3 phases together with a link and measured from this link to N and E.  You then removed the link to measure between the phases.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2005, 6:17pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1108845227/45#52 date=1112029019]I suspect on 3 phase, you shorted the 3 phases together with a link and measured from this link to N and E.  You then removed the link to measure between the phases. [/quote]

Many thanks  Lectrician !

On the course , we shorted between phase and earth on the 3  phase board.

When  I asked why we did this on an insulation test  , I was told it was due to taking the neutral link out

I don't know ....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2005, 7:28pm

arhhh okay, just realised what there getting at, cheers lec

Quote:
I was told it was due to taking the neutral link out

I don't know ....

nothing to do with that, test all lives to earth, and saves testing each individually

much the same as you can do a lump test on a single phase installation, or test each circuit separately, both are acceptable, the important bit is the readings of insulation resistance you get..

All said and done why do you ask the same question on all the forums?, and you say you was on a 2391 course, why not now?, these sort's of questions are a bit strange for one whos undertaking diy work, more like one who might be going through courses..
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2005, 11:47pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #55 - Mar 29th, 2005, 12:19pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#54 date=1112034480]  these sort's of questions are a bit strange for one whos undertaking diy work, [/quote]

Thank you L.Spark  .
Any opinions   ???  on this  last one, please ? -How do you check CPC continuity which is incorporated inside steel trunking and conduit , since this will create a PARALLEL path ? - RE: three phase installation which also has SWA and MICC cables

Many thanks.
I am NOT  doing any work not even domestic nevermind  commercial or industrial .   I am just  (curiously)  looking at exam and practical issues in order to decide if I should go for an exam in 12 months' time after I go to college, acquire some (more  Embarrassed ) knowledge

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #56 - Mar 29th, 2005, 1:49pm

Ok, well theres no need to answer anymore questions I feel as this topic is getting more than enough attention elsewhere, hope you understand

I would however say becarefull of you're curiosity, curiosty didnt just kill the cat  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:51pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #57 - Apr 9th, 2005, 8:47am

If your not at college or working, can I ask where your getting these questions from then. When we take exams we are not allowed to take papers home, so where did you get yours friend.

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print