Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 21st, 2024, 8:47pm
Quote: You can keep quiet & let everyone think you're a fool or you can speak and confirm their thoughts.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
part p (Read 25126 times)
jim123
GDPR opt-out

part p
Feb 19th, 2005, 8:33pm

Hi, was looking for some advice.

I’m a 16th edition trained electrician, working in industry.
I have previously helped out family by small installation work sockets lights etc...
I was looking at becoming part p registered, or being able to self-certify my domestic work.
Can you tell me if it would be practical for me to train and register, or would it be too difficult, as I don’t do a lot of domestic work?
Do I need to get my work assessed when getting registered?
Any further info on self-certification, training etc would be appreciated

Thanks

James

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: part p
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2005, 8:50pm

Hello Jim

Minor work's such as additional sockets or light's are considered minor work's and therefore not notifiable, so unless you're changing fuse board's it's not going to be worth you’re while.

If you were looking to join a scheme you will have to do a cost analysis, the schemes all require to see you're work except NAPIT I believe, who will accept you with all the right bit's of paper!

When you say 16th edition trained electrician, I assume that the 16th edition certificate is not you're only training?

The schemes require formal qualification's including 2391 (testing and inspection certificate)

If you don't do allot of domestic work I would advise against it registering as part-p only applies to domestic work

For link's to all the self-certification schemes or for what is and isnt notifiable work see DIY Electrical work & Part P

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jim123
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2005, 8:57pm

Hey thanks for the reply.
No the 16th isn’t my only training, I’m time served in electrical maintenance and installation...

Don’t think I have inspection and testing cert, but it’s a while since I looked what I have got.

Basically what your saying is, as long as the circuit is not a new installation, and is not being changed in a significant way, there is no issue. With the exception of bathrooms and kitchens I assume?

Thanks for the info though

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2005, 9:17pm

[quote author=jim123  link=1108845227/0#2 date=1108846649]Hey thanks for the reply.
No the 16th isn’t my only training, I’m time served in electrical maintenance and installation... [/quote]
No probs there then

Quote:
Don’t think I have inspection and testing cert, but it’s a while since I looked what I have got.

They do want you to have it, even tho it only last's 3 years they wrekon, then they like you to re-take it  Roll Eyes, but doubt that really happens  8)

Quote:
Basically what your saying is, as long as the circuit is not a new installation, and is not being changed in a significant way, there is no issue. With the exception of bathrooms and kitchens I assume?

Easier to look at as, as long as the circuit does not extend to a new circuit, as in you're working on an exsisting circuit, and that circuit is not in a special location e.g. bathroom or kitchen, AND the circuit changes will not put undue strain on the electrical installation, then it's OK  8)

Lot's to think about, again I think have listed all the conditions of minor work's in the part-p info page, but always other thing's to think about, the link's to the Part-p document's are also in there, worth a read for people thinking of registering
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2005, 9:19pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2005, 12:15pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/0#1 date=1108846226]If you were looking to join a scheme you will have to do a cost analysis, the schemes all require to see you're work except NAPIT I believe, who will accept you with all the right bit's of paper! [/quote]

Not so. I believe the fast-track scheme, which ran at the end of last year as time was running out, allowed you a quick registration pending assessment, but NAPIT still require you to show your work and demonstrate your competence in testing.

Incidentally, I had a phone call the other day from a NAPIT high-up (I'm sure he said he was CEO, but I couldn't find his name in the paperwork or on the website) in response to some queries I'd lodged about their paperwork. He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications.

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2005, 1:22pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1108845227/0#4 date=1108901739]He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications. [/quote]That's because the organisations running the schemes, particularly NICEIC and the ECA, don't really care about your qualifications - they just want your money, the amount of which is payable on the basis of a charging structure designed to give large companies a distinct advantage over small and OMB operations.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2005, 10:21pm

[quote author=dingbat  link=1108845227/0#4 date=1108901739]

Not so. I believe the fast-track scheme, which ran at the end of last year as time was running out, allowed you a quick registration pending assessment, but NAPIT still require you to show your work and demonstrate your competence in testing. [/quote]
Strange because that's not the way it came across on there site at the time, perhaps there being more selective now, NICEIC never seem sure of there exact requirements, If you ever come across the actualy bit's of paper needed, set aside any inspecting of work, let me now ding  Wink

Quote:
Incidentally, I had a phone call the other day from a NAPIT high-up (I'm sure he said he was CEO, but I couldn't find his name in the paperwork or on the website) in response to some queries I'd lodged about their paperwork. He told me that, even now, there is no clear agreement between the schemes, IEE and the odpm as to what, exactly, constitutes suitable qualifications

Nothing new there then, just as I said above it's not really very clear, it angers me because it should be set in stone what there requirements are with regards to qualification's for the defined competence's, full/domestic, and also what inspection's they will wish to make and on what type installations  Roll Eyes

Quote:
That's because the organisations running the schemes, particularly NICEIC and the ECA, don't really care about your qualifications - they just want your money

Yea, well that's always been pretty obvious too..

IP Logged

akuk
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2005, 5:36pm

Few weeks ago I had a discution about the part P (who haven't?), one of the replys was that part P is only recommendations and has nothing to do with BS7671, which I did not completely agreed with.  I checked this issue of part P in the college, the explanation was that part P is part of the bulding regulations and therefor it is a legal document, I asked why it is clearly written that these are recommendations, the reply was that they left opening for R&D and new systems, if part P would not have this recommendation issue in it there would not be possible to disgin new systems and ideas...
So I will be interested to here what you experts think, as I am stil confused as before! :P
Albert

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2005, 12:39am

Quote:
one of the replys was that part P is only recommendations and has nothing to do with BS7671, which I did not completely agreed with

Well you see, strictly speaking thats correct, BS 7671 and part-p are different

but some people I know won't agree, because they can't see outside the box, they are both electricaly related regulations, one statutory and one that's not generaly speaking..

Quote:
the explanation was that part P is part of the bulding regulations and therefor it is a legal document

Yes

Quote:
I asked why it is clearly written that these are recommendations

Where does it say they are reccomendations?
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2005, 12:40am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2005, 1:55am

Albert - you're still confused.

"Part P" 1) The Building Regulations, which are statutory, now have a new part.  It is Part P, and the official definition of it is here: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm .  If you read that, you will see that it makes no requirement to implement BS7671.

"Part P" 2) The Approved Document, one of a series explaining, and expanding on the legislation, and like all the other Approved Documents, listing possible way(s) in which the legal requirements can be met, is just that - only an explanation etc, and as they all say:

Approved Documents are intended to provide
guidance for some of the more common
building situations. However, there may well be
alternative ways of achieving compliance with
the requirements. Thus there is no obligation
to adopt any particular solution contained in
an Approved Document if you prefer to meet
the relevant requirement in some other way.

So adherence to BS7671 is a way to meet requirement P1 of the Building Regulations, but it is not the only way.  It is sufficient, but not necessary.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim Franklin
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 6:52am

The simple fact is though in Jim123's case, it will not be cost effective to register on any of the Part P robbery schemes as he would be looking at a minimum opf £600 in order to register.

For the works he does annually that would fall under Part P, it is simply not viable.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 7:37pm

[quote author=Jim Franklin  link=1108845227/0#10 date=1111474374]The simple fact is though in Jim123's case, it will not be cost effective to register on any of the Part P robbery schemes as he would be looking at a minimum opf £600 in order to register.

For the works he does annually that would fall under Part P, it is simply not viable. [/quote]

This is exactly the situation I find myself in.  As a builder of extensions I do electrical work only as part of my main trade.  However the convenience of doing the electrical work myself is considerable, not having to wait for anyone to turn up/last minute changes/unforseen bits and bobs etc.

But the cost of compliance with a 'scheme' is prohibitive.

But also charging my customers for BCO inspections is prohibitive too.

wtf is a guy to do?  I'm just out to earn a living by doing a quality job but within a fixed budget.

These ODPM tossers have competely f*cked that up for me.

I'm in favour of everyone being 'qualified' before touching leccy work but I'm NOT in favour of the COST of PartP.  For me it's a killer, tempting me to go illegal.

Good Laws don't encourage citizens to go 'illegal'  Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:16pm

Agreed 100% jerry  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:25pm

Jerry do you not have a notification in for the job anyway with the local BCB if it's an extension? If so the electrical work just gets notified on the plans by including the note about all works being to BS7671 inorder to comply with PartP. You don't need another notification, or to pay for a specific electrical inspection by the BCO. You will need to have an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work to show and copy to the BCO. You can issue this yourself if you are 'competent' & have the calibrated test kit, most BCBs seem to be accepting the G&G 2391 cert as proof of competence to issue an EIC.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 8:59pm

Hi Beanzy.  Being 'competent' means being a paid up member of a scheme doesn't it?  Surely just having 2381 and 2391 does not qualify anymore.  That's what all the ruck is about?

If we only needed 2381 + 2391 then nothing's changed.  But the way I see it I need to be a member of a scheme to self certify.  I cant afford this on the small amount of leccy work I do per year.

Are you saying that some BCO offices ARE allowing 'non scheme' electricians to self certify?  That's not what PartP says.  If we go down this route we are breaking the law surely?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:23pm

No you won't be 'Self-Certifying' you'll be using the buildings Notification route. You'll be issuing Electrical Installation Certificates as part of that process. These have to be issued by the person doing the design, installation, inspection& testing of the work. Self-certification schemes are to avoid the notification process until completion of the work, where you just notify it as compliant and avoid the Building Regulations process. You definitely don't have to be a member of any scheme to issue an EIC, you just have to be competent and equipped to do so. The EIC will be part of the paperwork the BCO will require to issue the completion notice to you.

If you check out this PDF from the District Surveyors Authority you'll see the guidlines the LABCBs are working to:- http://www.lxsouth.co.uk/dsa-partp.pdf

If you already are in the notification process for all your work, then joining a scheme would be a waste. I'd say long-term, as you've been doing this electrical work for years,  gaining competence & equipment to sign off BS7671 EICs (do the 2381 & 2391) would be a better use of your time and money. Don't 'crash course it if you want to really learn from the 2381, I'd find a local college where you can go steady and get time to absorb the details. If you're unsure of any aspect of what you do, you'll soon spot the gaps when you get fully familiar with BS7671 while boning up for the C&G exams. (Ask HM about the eye opener doing the C&G2381 can be) Then fill these gaps with practice and having someone 'mentor' your progress.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 9:56pm

Hi Beanzy.  I already have CG 2381  Cheesy  and was considering doing the 2391 but places on courses are a problem around here. I have the testing equipment needed (Fluke 1652 but uncalibrated  Sad).

All my building jobs are BCO controlled as you rightly say.

So are you saying I can do my own EIC or Minor works Certs as required without PartP scheme membership?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:16pm

Yup, though they may be happier with the 2391 too (do a 4/5 dayer for that). Copy the cert and submit it with the original plans so they can come back to check any doubts etc they may have. If you work in one or two BCB areas it's worth getting in touch to get yourself on their list of people from whom they'll accept EICs. Then you won't have to worry about loads of cert copies.

To emphasise the 'Self Certification' Schemes are just a way of avoiding Building Regulations Notification processes, but if you're in that process already then there's little point in being a scheme member.

PS: I still think Part P is duff even though I'm in the electromafia now and it has little impact for me.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:38pm

Hey, thanks for all that Beanzy, seems I have been misunderstanding the PartP set up for people like me who are already involved with the BCO.

I have just emailed my college where I did my 2381 as they do 2391 too.  Their website shows March 8th as the last 2391 course listed  ???  I've asked them when the next available course is.

I've now got to get me head around this new info  Grin

I wonder how many other builders have signed up for a 'scheme' when they don't need to  ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:04pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1108845227/15#18 date=1111531110]I wonder how many other builders have signed up for a 'scheme' when they don't need to  ??? [/quote]

Well the real question would be, 'how many scheme operators would be honest enough to put them straight?' I suspect the attitude of most would be to keep mum and take the money, justifying it as being a way of improving safety. Who looks out for the tradesmans interests in all of this? How many independent Electricians & Builders were consulted about Part P? Nope thought so, just those groups who have a vested interest in strong arming money out of anyone they can or those who don't actually have to bear the additional costs.

Like I say I was stumping up the dosh for the Logo & support anyway so no problem there, but I'd be really fecked off if I'd been coerced into it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:21pm

2381 was less than helpfull and told me nothing I didnt already know, do I get my money back?  Grin

nevermind then..lol

ooo, same goes for 2391, all just bits of paper  Roll Eyes

Quote:
but places on courses are a problem around here

why am I not surprised  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Their website shows March 8th as the last 2391 course listed

college centres usualy run 3-4 2391 courses trough the academic year, which runs september 2004, to september 2005, march would be the last one available before september start..

Quote:
take the money, justifying it as being a way of improving safety

yep, b4rst4rds
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:29pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:25am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1108845227/0#11 date=1111520259]

This is exactly the situation I find myself in.  As a builder of extensions I do electrical work only as part of my main trade.  However the convenience of doing the electrical work myself is considerable, not having to wait for anyone to turn up/last minute changes/unforseen bits and bobs etc.

But the cost of compliance with a 'scheme' is prohibitive.

But also charging my customers for BCO inspections is prohibitive too.

wtf is a guy to do?  I'm just out to earn a living by doing a quality job but within a fixed budget.

These ODPM tossers have competely f*cked that up for me.

I'm in favour of everyone being 'qualified' before touching leccy work but I'm NOT in favour of the COST of PartP.  For me it's a killer, tempting me to go illegal.

Good Laws don't encourage citizens to go 'illegal'  Angry
[/quote]
I know exactly how you feel, the cost to get an electrician in is crippling me.

I get charged in the region of £500 every Bathroom that I fit. The last Bathroom that was done came to £650. I've had enough of paying out this sort of money and I feel that it's simply not worth me quoting for the electrics at all (just the supp bonding).

If I itemise the electrical works out in my quote people will think I'm taking the p1ss so I have to absorb some of the cost into other areas of work.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:50am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:32am

God I'm thick, I cant even quote someone  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:48am

No worries, looks ok to me  8)

btw, £650 is a rip off for electrical in bathroom, if only I was local  Wink

IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:01am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/15#23 date=1111538936]No worries, looks ok to me  8)

btw, £650 is a rip off for electrical in bathroom, if only I was local  Wink
[/quote]

The £650 is for 2 shower pumps, 1 whirlpool Bath, 3 L.V lights with fire hoods, 1 extractor and light combined and supp bonding. It took him one day and I got a minor works certificate. Thats a lot of profit because the lights are £20 each and the extractor is £30 plus vat.

The trouble is that a lot of electricians I know wont give you a daily rate just a price per fitting. For example £60 per L.V, £100 per extractor plus vat.

Oh well, money out of my pocket again!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:06am

i would'nt price it like that  personly, id charge for the day (between 180 and 250)
and then bill seperatly for parts

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #26 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:07am

Cheers L.Sparkmeister  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #27 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:10am

[quote author=supersparky  link=1108845227/15#25 date=1111539985]i would'nt price it like that  personly, id charge for the day (between 180 and 250)
and then bill seperatly for parts

ss [/quote]

If I could get a sparks for £180 I could put away £400 onto a my pension!! I could retire in 10 years Wink

Nah seriousley I've had words with my sparks and hes said the lowest he can go for a days work is £220 plus vat but I have to be there to help him.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #28 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:11am

what the hell lol, and your in devon right!

and im sitting here with my 250 day rate for my london work  ???

im commin to devon

ss

IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #29 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:14am

[quote author=supersparky  link=1108845227/15#28 date=1111540309]what the hell lol, and your in devon right!

and im sitting here with my 250 day rate for my london work  ???

im commin to devon

ss [/quote]

Who's in Devon?? Not me I'm Surrey/Hants

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #30 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:26am

[quote author=bstyle  link=1108845227/15#26 date=1111540027]Cheers L.Sparkmeister  Smiley [/quote]
no probs

btw, to be fair mate, them showers are usualy £120 e.a  Shocked

what is important is a breakdown of labour and materials, if you don't know that you have problems  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #31 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:28am

devon, lol, saying nothing  Grin

bstyle, when you say whirlpool etc, is this just what he has to give supplies to

e.g.

supply to 2x showers > whirlpool

supply and fit LV downlighters, extractor etc, seems a bit unclear
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:29am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #32 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:38am

He took three spurs off the immersion heater in airing cupboard.

Two fused spurs for the shower pumps, (both in a. cupboard) and one RCD spur for the Whirlpool Bath. I put in cable to the Bath under the floor he just connected with brown junction box under Bath.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #33 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:39am

[quote author=bstyle  link=1108845227/15#29 date=1111540487]

Who's in Devon?? Not me I'm Surrey/Hants
[/quote]
my mistake Roll Eyes im still moving to surry then

lol

ss

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #34 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:42am

£650 is materials also then or am I getting this wrong  ???

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #35 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:43am

yeh not sure either

ss

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #36 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:44am

yeh i'd want to know costing of everything, but sounds to me as if it's a little overpriced..

I know people can get wrong idea because they just see figures and materials can be a high percentage, and so people jump to conclusions, not to say you are bstyle..
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:45am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #37 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:48am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/30#34 date=1111542146]£650 is materials also then or am I getting this wrong  ??? [/quote]

Sorry, yes that includes materials but theres not that much

£20 per light =    £60 for three
Extractor       =    £30
RCD              =    £30
General Mats=   £100 (me being generous)
All excluding vat

Total £260 including vat

Thats £390 labour including vat and me being generous on the materials

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #38 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:53am

Mats?! lol

IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #39 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:55am

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/30#38 date=1111542824]Mats?! lol

[/quote]

Materials!

Sorry it must be my Devonshire accent  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #40 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 1:58am

lol, was going to say, mat's surely wouldnt be required  Wink

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #41 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 5:56pm

have you never heard of a bath mat  Roll Eyes Grin

PartP requirement "all bathrooms should have rubber mats"

Grin lol
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2005, 5:57pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #42 - Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:07pm

Part Pee requirement - all beds should have rubber sheets.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #43 - Mar 24th, 2005, 2:12am

lol, you silly billyyyys!  Grin

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #44 - Mar 26th, 2005, 4:03pm

Just to get back on track. The IEE say...

Quote: When Part P comes into effect there will be two routes for those carrying out 'notifiable' electrical installation work in dwellings to demonstrate that they have complied with the requirements.

The first is to join a competent person self-certification scheme.

The second is to submit a building notice to the local authority.
End Quote

If you are putting in a new ring for example what will BC require exactly? Where can the DIYer learn what drawings and fees are required?

Answering my own question in part...

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/tmbc3/brchouse.htm

Appears to suggest that to add a ring to my garage I would have to pay a fee of around £119 but can choose if I want to submit plans or not (Full plans proceedure or Building Notice proceedure)...

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2005, 4:15pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #45 - Mar 27th, 2005, 12:19pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1108845227/15#16 date=1111528601]    I already have CG 2381  Cheesy  and was considering doing the 2391 but places on courses are a problem around here.

[/quote]

Greetings  to everyone and especially to the ones like me hoping to go for  the 2391 PRACTICAL exam ...one day Sad

Anyway, a  big chocolate egg to anyone answering these two questions:

1. Re: a periodic inspection on an existing installation .

Whilst doing an isulation resistence test , can one connect DIRECT onto the phase busbar, neutral terminal and earth terminal direct BUT obviously after checking system has been isolated, INSTEAD of doing each circuit individually ?
(all sensitive equipment removed or switches left open where it is not
practical to do so)

2. again to do with a periodic inspection on an existing installation .

If you have no diagrams or previous inspection records and you want to check the continuity of protective conductors and bonding, according to Guidance
Notes 3 , if you have steel trunking and conduit SWA and MICC cable, this will create parallel paths.
Should it be done prior to fixing accessories so as this is a periodic with no records or even if it had records, what is the best way of checking the
continuity of CPC and bonding?

Cheers.
And a chocolate Easter bunny to anyone remembering any funny mistakes from the practical exam. What BIG TIME blunders did you see candidates make ?

PS. don't be shy, chocolate is GOOD for you

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #46 - Mar 28th, 2005, 1:02am

Quote:
don't be shy, chocolate is GOOD for you

No, correction, chocolate is bad for you, and especialy virtual chocolate, but can be good for you depending apon how you look at it, if you stare at it too long I would think it be quite bad for you  Wink

Now I notice you have asked this exact same question on Screwflux forums, and so I wonder why you have come here too?..

Quote:
Whilst doing an isulation resistence test

Whilst doing dead tests on an isolated installation you can do what you like...can't you?......

Quote:
If you have no diagrams or previous inspection records and you want to check the continuity of protective conductors and bonding, according to Guidance  
Notes 3 , if you have steel trunking and conduit SWA and MICC cable, this will create parallel paths.
Should it be done prior to fixing accessories so as this is a periodic with no records or even if it had records, what is the best way of checking the  
continuity of CPC and bonding?

Now to me that doesn't really make sense, regardless of fixing accessories, you would need to remove any 'parallel paths' as best as possible, and if you cannot then you should expect readings to be off slightly, dependent upon installation conditions..?

If you have questions like these, did you ask you're college lecturer, he/she should be the one to explain anything you're not too sure about.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2005, 1:05am by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #47 - Mar 28th, 2005, 1:20pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#46 date=1111968125]

Quoted:  << If you have no diagrams or previous inspection records and you want to check the continuity of protective conductors and bonding, according to Guidance   Notes 3 , if you have steel trunking and conduit SWA and MICC cable, this will create parallel paths.  
continuity of CPC and bonding?   >>
================================
===============================
Now to me that doesn't really make sense, regardless of fixing accessories, you would need to remove any 'parallel paths' as best as possible, and if you cannot then you should expect readings to be off slightly, dependent upon installation conditions..?
Roll Eyes [/quote]

Thank you  for your reply L.Spark.
Part of that had been in turn quoted from  GN3  Anyway could you  not just test the continuity of the trunking, SWA, cable etc, etc ?

Here's a challenging one: on a three phase installation with a double pole isolator when you throw main isolator arm and remove neutral link , then when neutral link removed (Re: INSULATION TEST) ,why does a shorting lead need to be connected between phase and earth?

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to go to college , yet.
Many thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #48 - Mar 28th, 2005, 3:55pm

Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot afford to go to college , yet

Undecided

IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #49 - Mar 28th, 2005, 4:26pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#48 date=1112021700]
Undecided [/quote]

Hello L.Spark.
I know....
Anyhow, just so I understand , I  get it in future   Sad  can  anyone explain this:

How can you check  CPC continuity which is incorporated  inside steel trunking and conduit , since  this  will create a parallel path  -  
- On a three phase installation with a double pole isolator when you throw main isolator arm and remove neutral link , then when neutral link removed (Re: INSULATION TEST) ,why does a shorting lead need to be connected between phase and earth?

Thank you anyway.
I'm struggling with books right now

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #50 - Mar 28th, 2005, 4:48pm

Hi, can I ask what course you're studying on right now curious?

in answer to you're question, we use a shorting lead to make a loop, a loop that consists of r1 and r2, where

r1 is you're phase conductor and
r2 is you're circuit protective conductor (CPC)

so in essence we short phase to earth so we include both phase and earth when testing, we are then including both cable's or paths in our test..

this does however have nothing to do with insulation tests, you would not create any shorts normaly whilst undertaking insulation tests, only in certain circumstances where equipment is liable to be damaged by test voltages

hope that makes sense..
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2005, 4:50pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #51 - Mar 28th, 2005, 5:49pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#50 date=1112024892]
in answer to you're question, we use a shorting lead to make a loop, a loop that consists of r1 and r2, where
r1 is you're phase conductor and
r2 is you're circuit protective conductor (CPC)

so in essence we short phase to earth so we include both phase and earth when testing, we are then including both cable's or paths in our test..

this does however have nothing to do with insulation tests, you would not create any shorts normaly whilst undertaking insulation tests, only in certain circumstances where equipment is liable to be damaged by test voltages
[/quote]

Thank you for your reply  L.Spark

I am  going  nuts   because when i was on a 2391 course , for some reason, we used a shorting lead on a 3 PHASE system when doing insulation + polarity ,which dare I say/in my opinion  Embarrassed   is not right, is it?

Cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #52 - Mar 28th, 2005, 5:56pm

I suspect on 3 phase, you shorted the 3 phases together with a link and measured from this link to N and E.  You then removed the link to measure between the phases.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2005, 6:17pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1108845227/45#52 date=1112029019]I suspect on 3 phase, you shorted the 3 phases together with a link and measured from this link to N and E.  You then removed the link to measure between the phases. [/quote]

Many thanks  Lectrician !

On the course , we shorted between phase and earth on the 3  phase board.

When  I asked why we did this on an insulation test  , I was told it was due to taking the neutral link out

I don't know ....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2005, 7:28pm

arhhh okay, just realised what there getting at, cheers lec

Quote:
I was told it was due to taking the neutral link out

I don't know ....

nothing to do with that, test all lives to earth, and saves testing each individually

much the same as you can do a lump test on a single phase installation, or test each circuit separately, both are acceptable, the important bit is the readings of insulation resistance you get..

All said and done why do you ask the same question on all the forums?, and you say you was on a 2391 course, why not now?, these sort's of questions are a bit strange for one whos undertaking diy work, more like one who might be going through courses..
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2005, 11:47pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Curious

just wondering

Reply #55 - Mar 29th, 2005, 12:19pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1108845227/45#54 date=1112034480]  these sort's of questions are a bit strange for one whos undertaking diy work, [/quote]

Thank you L.Spark  .
Any opinions   ???  on this  last one, please ? -How do you check CPC continuity which is incorporated inside steel trunking and conduit , since this will create a PARALLEL path ? - RE: three phase installation which also has SWA and MICC cables

Many thanks.
I am NOT  doing any work not even domestic nevermind  commercial or industrial .   I am just  (curiously)  looking at exam and practical issues in order to decide if I should go for an exam in 12 months' time after I go to college, acquire some (more  Embarrassed ) knowledge

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #56 - Mar 29th, 2005, 1:49pm

Ok, well theres no need to answer anymore questions I feel as this topic is getting more than enough attention elsewhere, hope you understand

I would however say becarefull of you're curiosity, curiosty didnt just kill the cat  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:51pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Reply #57 - Apr 9th, 2005, 8:47am

If your not at college or working, can I ask where your getting these questions from then. When we take exams we are not allowed to take papers home, so where did you get yours friend.

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print