Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 6:25pm
Quote: I intend to live forever........So far, so good...

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Router table (Read 40335 times)
Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Router table
May 27th, 2009, 11:30am

Hi all,
I am looking for a router table, for making furniture type things on things on, which can take a 1/2" router.
I am looking to buy something on Fleabay (to keep costs down and get more bang for my buck). There seem to be loads, some made by people I have never heard of and some big brand names, some look like plastic tat and others look solid. Too many choices  Huh
Are there any tables that you would recommend or steer away from?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Router table
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009, 11:40am

I had a DeWalt 2000, portable but that made it too lightweight for its own good.

After a good look round I made my own

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2009, 12:18pm

If I had the £££ and space this would be on my list  Grin
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FELDER-Table-Saw-Spindle-Moulder-Planer-Thicknesser_W0QQit...
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 12:18pm by zambezi »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009, 12:26pm

rutland seem to have removed a few accsesorys from there table to reduce the price
at least at that price worth a punt as you can make your own fittings and more substancial spring loaded guide fences and supports
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DK2009

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2009, 2:00pm

I quite like this...
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/F60200
there is somebody selling them on Fleabay for £179 + £20 delivery (Rutlands £299).
I like the idea of the sliding carriage.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 2:07pm by zambezi »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2009, 3:19pm

Perhaps buy an insert plate and make your own table? Axminster sell a few plates at £40-£50.

There is a nice home made table here that uses a Trend t11. This has a fine height adjuster that can be adjusted from above the table..

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32655&highlight=router+insert...

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2009, 4:39pm

I would love to make a table like that but I don't think I will be able to, given my current set-up (none at all!) and I think the cost of all the bits and bobs (including inserts for £40 - 50) will cost more than buying a purpose made router table. You can buy a (cheap and nasty) new router table for less than the inserts.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2009, 4:43pm

H Tim could you post a picture of your home-made (not really home-made, more workshop made) router table pls?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2009, 5:27pm

To get a proper job you really need a cast-iron table. Record do one which is quite good, but Charnwood's is brilliant because the table is split and the one half slides so the action is VERY stable...

http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=15&stockref=W015

...it's the one I use for smaller mouldings because it saves setting up the spindle moulder - and you can use the vast range of readily available router cutters.

There's also one that operates very like a spindle moulder, allowing infinite adjustment if your router doesn't have the micro adjustment. I'll have a look and find the link. It was on offer a while back and I was very tempted to get one for site work. I saw one in Paskins in Kiddy and was very impressed, despite its not having the cast-iron table and only taking the 6-8mm cutters.

In fact this is it...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/bs50-spindle-moulder/path/comb...

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 5:49pm by Joiner »  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2009, 6:10pm

Quote:
H Tim could you post a picture of your home-made (not really home-made, more workshop made) router table pls?

I thought who's this H Tim, then the penny dropped, perhaps its time to change it back Roll Eyes Grin

I've seen plenty of the cast table/ sliding alloy carriage router tables about. They all seem to be made in the same factory and then badged up with the odd additional feature depending on badge.

I wanted an all singing dancing table so the only option was to build one myself. Not cheap though, I could have bought several cast iron ones for the same money.

The table has a short fence running front to back, adjusted by an Incra LS Positioner I can use it for very detailed work when I need to work to fine tollerances. It has a 36mm MDF top, laminated with Formica, together with the rest of the carcase it weighs a tonne! The router is completely enclosed in the central compartment and is one of the quietest machines in the shop.

It also has a long fence running along the table, it pivots at one end and is clamped at the other.

The router is fitted in a Woodpecker chain driven lift, like the Incra fence it is accurate to about a 1/1000". The router has an Xtreme extension fitted to allow changes above the table.

Both fences are tall and have T slots allowing me to fit hold downs above the cutter, with the addition of a hold down fitted in the table the blade is completely covered. Router tables can be dangerous because it is easy to climb cut by accident.

Dust extraction is via a 100mm duct, split between the router enclosure and the fence and is normally as near 100% as you can get.

Despite the weight it is on wheels and I can relatively easily move it round the workshop. Together with the mass of storage it holds I wouldn't like to be without it.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2009, 6:21pm

keith i need to build  a more sofisticated table like yours  Grin Grin
i built this one years ago at the great cost off well not a lot

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 6:30pm by big_all »  

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #11 - May 27th, 2009, 6:44pm

I don't remember seeing it Keith, it looks the business!! Like you said it would cost a lot more than the off-the-shelf versions.

Joiner the first one you linked to is the same as the one I am interested in, just a re-badged version (the one I linked to earlier for £179). They are not cheap but they do look pretty good (based on what I can see on my PC). I don't know of anybody who sells them locally so I can go and kick the tyres?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #12 - May 27th, 2009, 8:08pm

I have now found 3 "manufacturers" selling the same router table!
Charnwood W015
Record Professional Router Table RPMS
Fox F60-200

So who actually makes/distributes them and is there a way of getting one cheap?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2009, 8:11pm

R S Paskins. Dave (manager), Rob, and Chris will look after you.

Go into Kiddy, under the railway viaduct to the big island and take the first exit to Stourport. Keep going across the lights, over the pedestrian crossing and when you're over the hump of the railway bridge, past the old beet factory and look out for the filter road to the right. Take a right and the road goes through a tight 's' with a l/h turn out of the apex towards Brintons. Take that left and look out for the motorbike shop on the right. Paskins is immediately after it.

If you come via Stourport from Worcester, head into Kiddy and at the first major light-controlled junction take a left and immediate right onto the estate road that runs parallel to the main road. Paskins is a few hundred yards on the left, just before the caravan snack bar.

Problem is, they don't always have their full stock, although the place is packed to the eaves with goodies that will give you an idea. If it's not there they'll get it in and deliver it, no problem.

My experience of Charnwood is good, both in terms of their build and their after-sales.

I've had that particular router table for four and a half years and it gets a regular belting! And it's accurate to whatever you set it at! For scribed joints it's spot on, with little (if any) breakout even on cheapo redwood.

Our posts crossed there mate. Go for the Charnwood, they might LOOK similar but they differ in important detail. I had the Record before the Charnwood.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 8:13pm by Joiner »  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2009, 8:20pm

H TIM wrote!!  " Quote:
I wanted an all singing dancing table
"

and i've heard it sing!!!!!!...Ouch!!! (sorry WS)

seriously, looks really good,

i will add that Axminster do a few good cheap to mid range  table tops/inserts and fences, or like moi, i bought a mid rannge table, and am in the process of altering it to be a fully mobile table to suit what i need!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #15 - May 27th, 2009, 8:20pm

Z you have to think what you are likely to use the table for. Do you need a sliding table? I imagine you would only really need that for tennoning, so are going to start cutting tennons on the router table?

Otherwise a flat top with a router insert would probably work as well. You can easily make a fence, pivot it at one end and clamp it at the other. Fit a T track to the top for a mitre fence and hang the table on the wall when you are not using it.

BA yours works, and its definately good value for money Grin

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Reply #16 - May 27th, 2009, 8:46pm

woodsmith wrote on May 27th, 2009, 8:20pm:
BA yours works, and its definately good value for money Grin

if i renew the sticky tape and clean up the dust off the workmate any chance off a swop as i havent got an nvr on mine Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print