Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
May 5th, 2024, 12:38pm
Quote: Spotted on the back of a T-shirt worn by a Bomb Squad official: "If you see me running, try to keep up!"

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Router table (Read 40333 times)
woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Router table
Reply #17 - May 27th, 2009, 9:26pm

Have you got a fork lift?

I'll leave it you in my will Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #18 - May 27th, 2009, 9:57pm

woodsmith wrote on May 27th, 2009, 8:20pm:
Z you have to think what you are likely to use the table for. Do you need a sliding table? I imagine you would only really need that for tennoning, so are going to start cutting tennons on the router table?

I am not too sure yet  Huh I would love a set-up like yours (not just the router table but the whole lot) and I am a good few years off from that at the moment. I don't want to spend a chunk of ££ on something only to find I need/want to upgrade it down the line. If I can get a good one with the sliding table etc for not much more than a standard one, then I would rather spend the extra few ££ on it now. As it is it looks I can get a £300ish table for £200, which is a good investment in my books. I would love a nice spindle moulder but they are not cheap and the cutters can cost a fortune, so a router table is a compromise.

I don't think I will ever make a living from woodwork, it is something I used to enjoy and want to get back into. If I can find half decent kit for a decent price then I will buy it and who knows I may end up with a workshop to rival yours one day WS  Grin I don't spend my money on booze, fags or drugs so I may as well invest in workshop full of nice toys, to keep me away from the booze, fags and drugs  Grin

Thanks for the info on R S Paskins Joiner, I will see if I can get there sometime in the near future.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #19 - May 27th, 2009, 10:08pm

Quote:
I don't spend my money on booze, fags or drugs so I may as well invest in workshop full of nice toys, to keep me away from the booze, fags and drugs  

Good thinking, I hope the logic works as well with Mrs Z as it did with Mrs W Wink

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #20 - May 27th, 2009, 10:21pm

woodsmith wrote on May 27th, 2009, 10:08pm:
Quote:
I don't spend my money on booze, fags or drugs so I may as well invest in workshop full of nice toys, to keep me away from the booze, fags and drugs  

Good thinking, I hope the logic works as well with Mrs Z as it did with Mrs W Wink

No! She would rather spend it on wine and holidays  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #21 - May 28th, 2009, 12:21am

woodsmith wrote on May 27th, 2009, 9:26pm:
Have you got a fork lift?

I'll leave it you in my will Grin

thanks keith do they deliver to the other side both need an lift with long cables its the same in the top floor or basament option  
if you leave it to me in your will you can show me how to use it when you visit Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2009, 12:24am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2009, 8:29am

If you're making windows - and that's the bulk of a joiner's work - then you need a stable base when scribing the rails and glazing bars, which that sliding table will give you.

One other tip, if you're scribing the bars on, say, an original Georgian-style window and you're working on 1/2" width the danger of breakout is real. Run the piece across the cutter in REVERSE, from left to right and you'll get a good clean cut. BUT, you won't get a good even cut unless the piece is firmly held on a stable base because it will push away from the cutter. You can do a number of runs to even the cut, but then you're working off the original set up because the end of the piece has lost the fraction of its length that originally abutted the fence.

If you want to see that machine in action, you can come across to the workshop and see it for yourself, you can then make an informed decision. I'll PM my mobile number, but don't get fazed if you can't get me, I'm working in a crap cellphone area!

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #23 - May 28th, 2009, 8:34am

Thanx Joiner, I may just take you up on your offer  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #24 - May 28th, 2009, 9:47pm

Shame on you!

Make your own...you're welcome to come over and make it here!

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #25 - May 28th, 2009, 10:41pm

londonman wrote on May 28th, 2009, 9:47pm:
Shame on you!

Make your own...you're welcome to come over and make it here!

Last time I spoke to you you said that you could not get into your workshop because it was too full!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #26 - May 29th, 2009, 12:39am

Quote:
If you're making windows - and that's the bulk of a joiner's work

Pardon...since when... (if your Fensa approved??)

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #27 - May 29th, 2009, 8:36am

Since whenever.

And I've never been Fensa approved, nor would I ever seek it, for three reasons:

1. Working on old properties the work is usually done under Conservation (especially if Listed or Article 4) and the work (method, design and materials) has therefore to be approved by the CO, before, during and on completion before it's signed off.

2. If within a conservation area and retaining PDR (no Article 4) then the work will be done under notice; surveyed by the BCO prior to start and inspected by them on completion.

3. Having worked with and for Fensa registered window fitters my first-hand experience is that Fensa is a licence for cowboys (even those with otherwise excellent woodworking skills) to get away with murder and it's something I wouldn't associate myself with. It's like the various trade "guilds" and "federations", if you can pay the entrance money and do the job on the day their guy comes to check you're in. It's a joke and has been since inception. Classing it in the same category as the gas or electrical regulatory bodies is an insult to them.

We've got a guy who's just started operating locally who's touting himself as a "conservation expert" and has targeted conservation areas. An ex-director of a upvc company, he's Fensa registered and fitting timber windows. He's "started to come to the notice" of local COs having fitted totally inappropriate windows which the customers, who only realised what was happening when the windows were in, had taken his word for as being right. He's done a lot of damage and, by undercutting the established guys (who quoted to do the work properly), has done them a lot of harm as well. (I'll mention that that doesn't include me, with a full order book until the middle of August.)

My work is inspected at every significant point in the process and signed off by an objective, independent party. Self-regulation is neither objective nor independent, which is why it's not for me.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #28 - May 29th, 2009, 9:46am

ME thinks you missed my point!!!

i was refering to the fact that as a joiner, i manufacture windows VERY RARELY!!!(unless for the Heritage bods....) and not being the bulk of my joinery work... only about 2% is windows..

as for fensa being cowboy allowed, i totally agree with you!! witnessed loads of dodgy work!!!
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2009, 9:48am by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #29 - May 29th, 2009, 5:30pm

Spot on, Joiner.  I hate the mass produced windows that are all wood and no glass.  Ugly brown colour. Mind you, not as bad as uPVC windows.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #30 - May 29th, 2009, 5:48pm

Sorry Wolfie, woke up in a bad mood after a crap night with a cricked neck from working in a confined space.

Funny how different guys find themselves doing more of one thing than another. Probably 80% of my work is windows because refurbing a whole house means all the windows and just a couple of doors, maybe three or four staircases a year, and then it's primarily repair of the stairs and just replacement of the sticks and handrail. Having said that and given some thought to it, I haven't done a 'proper' staircase job at all this last twelve months. Just finished repairing one (same job that gave me the cricked neck) and due to start the repair of one sometime next week. That's an 18th century one that just needs a couple of carriages to support the treads, running onto an oak beam socketed into the stone wall one end and supported on a new newel post at the other. Relatively easy to work on because it runs over cellar steps so access to the underside is good. It's on acrows at the minute!!

I suppose it's a case of one job running into a similar kind of job because my work comes mainly from referrals and from the CO, who's only called in when major work is proposed to a Listed building or someone asks their advice on a property in a conservation area, which somewhat rules out kitchens and fitted wardrobes. No regrets there though, kitchens were the bane of my bloody life - or rather the customers were. That is one area where I have walked away from more jobs than any other type. They did my effing head in.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #31 - May 29th, 2009, 6:23pm

FENSA is a scandal, people think they are getting an insurance backed warranty through FENSA itself. Nothing could be further from the truth. They don't want to know if anything goes wrong.

But I have to pay the BCO £160 every time I fit a window.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #32 - May 29th, 2009, 10:01pm

I don't know why Woodie, these are the scale of fees for BC in the Shropshire council area...

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/planning.nsf/viewAttachments/MSER-7QFJYX/$file/buil...

And they're the ones that have always applied in the (old) Bridgnorth DC area.

I always leave all the apllication to the customer, although I'll go through the process with them. I'll occasionally act as agent if the customer is elderly (bit ironic, given my age!), but they pay all the fees, which I always get up front.

If I was on Fensa and insured for guarantee purposes I'd be putting at least £150 on each job anyway to cover myself.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #33 - May 30th, 2009, 8:40am

The £160 was a guess, I couldn't remember exactly Roll Eyes

Anyway I've just looked up my last couple of payments and they were both for £141. This was to Shrewsbury and Atcham so perhaps they had a different fee structure.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print